Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye bf2142

Originally posted by CrAzY eYeD cAt =^O.o^=
    For me personally everything just seems soo rigid especially the air vehicles with their linear like controls, they are terrible and there are soo many anti-vehicle weapons that being in one for more than a couple of minutes is a death sentence where as BF2 was mostly vehicle dominant which isn't such a bad thing when the maps are soo vast like they are.
    Yes, there are more anti-vehicle weapons, but vehicles are still awesome assets when used properly. Tanks in BF2 only 'dominate' because most people are too thick to go AT or engineer (or even spec ops) to take them out. Ground vehicles in BF2 were just fine, because although the tanks in BF2142 have a one-hit-kill spot, they also have shields which will stop any incoming rocket or tank shell, so it evens out. Motion mines, unlike the regular AT mines in BF2, don't kill in one hit, but will follow after a vehicle once it gets close enough to activate it. Again, balanced.

But then you get to the air power. One of BF2's largest downfalls is the air power. People who don't play IO Karkand are usually pilots/gunners, or are people who don't mind being endlessly raped by aircraft. While I agree that IRL aircraft are a dominating force, when speaking in context of a video game, no player should be an almost untouchable force simply because he got to the choppa or jet first. Sure, mediocre players will crash or get shot down easily by skilled pilots, but someone who has spent a lot of time in a jet or heli can be almost impossible to take down without an equally skilled pilot in a jet or heli on the other team. When no such player exists, one team is basically just target practice for the heli gunners and bomber jets, and just how much fun is that?

Consider this - in BF2, a laser-guided bomb or TV missile will instantly kill any ground vehicle in one it, and they can do so from, in many cases, half the map away. The ground vehicle has no means of escaping since it cannot possibly outrun a missile, it has no means of defending itself other than smoke (lol), and when hit the driver cannot even escape with his life because it's an insta-kill. Fun for the pilots and gunners, not so much for anyone who is not in the air. Compare that to 2142, where a TV missile does 90 damage to an armoured vehicle, at least giving the driver a chance to escape (at 90 damage the vehicle will start to burn to death and unless you're quick with the HOFF repair tool the vehicle is toast), and that's after he has had shields. One gunship vs. one tank will still favour the gunship every time, but at least it's not so lopsided that the gunship can just sit on the fringe of the map and randomly pick off ground vehicles at will in one giant turkey shoot. That's fun as hell in a single player game when playing against bots, but if you're the one getting helplessly picked off it's not too much fun.

Imagine if in BF2 it was the other way around, where ground vehicles had countermeasures that refilled every 10 seconds and aircraft had no flares, and the AA lock-on range was 300m, and one AA missile instantly destroyed an aircraft and never missed a locked-on target. That's essentially what it's like playing on the ground against a skilled gunner. Since you've likely played a lot of BF2 I'm sure you've had this experience more than once (again, unless you're an IO player) and I'm sure you didn't find it to be an enjoyable experience. While I personally prefer the atmosphere of BF2 far more than 2142, I don't appreciate the unbalanced gameplay and will take fair, fun gameplay over purty colours every time.

Comment

Let me make it simple for you.

Guns with a Bipod AKA LMGs/HMG's are Support.

Assault rifles are Assault

Lambert and Snipers are obviously recon.

I shouldn't even have to state what class Rocket Launchers belong to.

Comment

Looking at a soldier is far from the most convenient way to ID his class. Remember the focus is on team play. You can just hit caps lock to see who in your squad is carrying what and send your request over voice. Even more convenient, use the comm rose to request a medic, supplies or repairs and all friendly soldiers in that area with the right kit are highlighted on your mini-map with the corresponding icon.
        I do agree it would be nice if they would make the skins/packs just a little more distinctive, it would help when I'm scanning a pile of corpses to find a medic kit and revive my teammates, or resupply myself by stealing a supply box -- but in light of the features I mentioned earlier this seems like a minor complaint.

Comment

I'm a Battlefield 2 guy, I played BF2142 for a year even got to be ranked top 200 in the world at one point. I believe that 2142 does a better job at balancing vehicles and infantry, not only through map design, but also with build in weaknesses. The jets were way to easy to fly, I knew people that wouldn't dare to fly a chopper or jet in BF2, but did a decent job at flying the Gunships. For a good player that knows how to fly the auto correction is annoying, and I wish there was a way to turn it of.

Everybody has their own taste and plays what they like, but for me Battlefield 2 has more replay value then 2142. You guys should give BF2142 a fair chance before jumping to conclusions, a week or two is not enough to understand the game mechanics.

Comment

Gosh, yet another BF2 vs BF2142 thread. First read about this when I was in my late 20s, and still read about this in 30s. Can we just enjoy the two very good games peacefully?

I hope I still have time to play both.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              Everyone has different tastes in games and if you didnt like the look and feel, then thats how it goes. However, I dont think you gave the game a chance at all.

2142 is not BF2. Comparing the two is like comparing CoD2 to CoD4 to CoD5.

Also, the different types of kits do look different and you get to know the layout of them as you play more.

CoD4:MW2 will be coming in September, maybe that will be the game for you.

EDIT: Almost forgot. To save you some time, BF1943 will be nothing like BF2 either.

Crunch
              True.

My opinion is, BF2=Good BF2142=AWESOME:gatlinggun:

Comment

no you can compare them pretty easily actually. the only time you can apply the ''apples and oranges'' condition is when you are comparing 2 different types of games such as an RTS to an fps

Comment

navels to mandarins?

Comment

In the end, it's all about whether you like the Apple or the Orange more.

Comment

Never understood this "apples and oranges" idiom, they're both fruits, about the same size, so rather good comparible. I'm sure it originated from apples and orangutans.

Comment

Originally posted by CrAzY eYeD cAt =^O.o^=

lol I noticed they made soloing a no no xD (don't know if that is good or bad)

how wrong you are my friend :P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYHBYOygPek[/media]

^^ a friend of mine

Comment

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
                          Motion mines, unlike the regular AT mines in BF2, don't kill in one hit, but will follow after a vehicle once it gets close enough to activate it. Again, balanced.
                          unless there are two or more motion mines in one place - lol

Comment

Working...
                          X