Debate: Proper Server Administration [Cool heads only]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debate: Proper Server Administration [Cool heads only]

Please don't make us lock this thread. Read the original post and the ground rules therein before posting.

Comment

Are rules like "No capping refinery [in a BF2 Dragon Valley server] until timer reaches xx:xx" and "No walkers/orbital strikes until 8v8" legal? I've seen them both playing BF2 and 2142.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
        Are rules like "No capping refinery [in a BF2 Dragon Valley server] until timer reaches xx:xx" and "No walkers/orbital strikes until 8v8" legal? I've seen them both playing BF2 and 2142.
        No and no.

I'll save that for the next debate thread, though. It'll be about the legitimacy of the BFRoC and its enforcement. Expect it Friday or so.

Comment

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

The next debate thread (about the BFRoC) is up; check it out and throw in your two (and a half) cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Webs961
            So, the first point of discussion: The "If I pay for the server then I'll admin how I wish" mentality
            My thoughts on it is about like that.

If you pay for your server, its your rules. My exceptions to that one rule is:

1. If its ranked all weapons and vehicles allowed.
            2. First come first server on the vehicles.
            3. The owner of the server and affiliated clan must also abide by those rules.
            4. Rules should be in the splash screen if possible but definatly scrolling in a quickly legible manner.
            4a. No mention of the rules, no rule exists.

Thats about it for me and how I tend to admin a server. I also think stopping uncap rape is a valid rule because it can kill a server fast. Yes, I know everyone has a gun and should be "good enough" to fight there way out, but the truth is that is not always the case and its hard to fight your way out when you die the second you respawn.

You don't want foul language on the server, thats a valid rule as well. You want to ban instantly for a rule violation and not give a warning, thats a bit harsh, but valid.

Many admins have said on their servers that if you dont like it, there are over X amount of other servers to go play on. Thats very true and I take that to heart. I dont like the rules on someone's server, I leave.

Now as for unranked servers, whatever is setup, thats what it is. Its not affect any score or persons ability. If items are to be turned off, so be it.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Capt agreed 100%.. ask how many member of my clan I have kicked. They don't like it much but if you dont follow server rules as a clan member no one will respect them.

As Fatmoose!!! He used to get soooooooo pissed at me

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy619
                Capt agreed 100%.. ask how many member of my clan I have kicked.
                you should ban them

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperJac
                  I think any extra rules applied to servers are daft.

The most common ones are

"no baserape"
                  "no spawnkilling"

No Bunnyhopping - you're not allowed to jump?
                  Three of the rules on our sever.
                  simple if you don't like the rules go elsewhere.

Comment

"The best server is a server with no admins."
                    - =L13= clan philosophy

Fair rules:
                    No hacking, no geometry exploitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Field
                      you should ban them
                      No, that's SecrtSqurl's job lol (I guess that's an inside joke)

Comment

Personally, I leave any server when I see 'house rules' i.e no c4, no capping x flag, no doing this. I payed for this game, Im going to play it like it was designed to be played.

Comment

Originally posted by ohsosharp
                          The first two are understandable because you can set objective guidelines, like no going into the sand on Camp G or no standing behind a spawn point without capping a flag just to get the easy kills. But bunnyhopping is such a subjective thing. How do you define it? Why restrict the movement mechanics of the game? Are you going to tell people not to side strafe either?:shakehead:

Comment

Originally posted by Field
                            you should ban them
                            Catch is field they only have done it once

How many warnings and kicks have I given you before I banned you .

I'd say plenty

Comment

Originally posted by ohsosharp
                              Do me the favour of banning me in advance - that way I don't wander in and waste 3/4 of a round before getting kicked for disobeying one of your myriad of 'rulez'.

Ta :thumbsup:

Really I still think there should be an option to mark a server as bad. I can never remember the bad ones. I just got banned from a server for RDXin all the commanders toys when we capped the back base in Gibralter. Commander had to make it all the way back from the front to get back and fix his assets only for me to Lambert him lolz.

Then the inevitable - 'Banning General Jac - RDX in conquest mode' Yeah - rurly, you can't use RDX in conquest mode all of a sudden.

I already forgot the name of the server. My memory aint what it was

Comment

Then read the rules that are on the loading screen. You keep you points when you get kicked anyways, what are you worrying about?

Comment

Working...
                                X