Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the Radar in this game makes it dull.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All the Radar in this game makes it dull.

Originally posted by Shurikane

But you won't go on these maps because you've found them boring at a glance and I can safely assume you will never even attempt to go on them again no matter how much myself, three, six or twelve forum members will try to convince you otherwise.
    I've been playing FPS games since they existed in the home market. I know what I like after doing this since before some of you were born. The only person who's not gonna know which way is up, will be you when the industry pulls the rug out from under this tactical shooter fad that has overstayed it's welcome.

There is enormous untapped potential for a massively scaled, traditional-styled hybrid. All it's gonna take is one game from someone with some iniative for a change to succeed. After the sales figures come baack, DICE/EA will whore your beloved battlefield series out to the lowest common denominator.

You know what it is- it's the rise of the FPS console scene. Tactical shooters are only "thriving" because everyone else from the market packed up shop and moved over to xbox. Damn you microsoft!

Originally posted by [3MIB]1FD|WO1.HIVictim
    Then why don't you stop complaining about the game mechanics and find a game you enjoy.
    Because this is IT as far as large-cap FPS PC gaming is concerned.

The last great FPS PC MP experience was FEAR if you can believe that. I only came here after PB support ended for FEAR. That game was like KFC Original when it came to fast paced, twitchy, FPS finger-lickin' goodness.

FEAR2's MP is a bastard creation trying to copy CoD4 and ride that money wave; or I'd be there- believe me.

Till then I'm stuck with people who think they're brilliant tacticians in pixel land. I know, it's sad.

Comment

The best thing about the radars is that they narrow the gap between the players using wallhacks, and those who play fair.

At least we can ALL get a bit of ESP info on the enemy now...

Still, it will never make up for the annoying little gimps that hide behind boxes using their wallhack to aim at your head through the box, so all they have to do is pop up and fire to pretty much guarantee a kill against you. :dead:

Happened to me yesterday. Now I know why that guy's clan seem happy to take people who get kicked from other clans for obvious cheating.

Comment

For a game you seem to hate so much, you sure have wasted a large portion of your recent life playing it.

Comment

I don't hate the game at all.

There are a few annoying people who play it, but even in in their case "hate" would be too strong a word I think.

Finally, given that I have had a huge amount of fun playing BF2142, I don't consider my time wasted at all.

Comment

forces do you know that that wont work if you crough spam behind cover or even if you are in the open and cannot get cover: croughspam will save you from having that happen to you. the only thing a guy with a wallhack can do is spray the area where you willl pop up and hope to hit but usual they suck with shooting so that shouldnt be a problem. me and lolyn and many others i know, aim for the head, crough down, crough up and shoot, and crough down again. makes it look like a wallhack but it is fairly easy(basic clanmod skill imo).

Comment

Nah mate, I'm talking about when you move while the wallhack kiddie is behind the box, so he should pop up and miss (if he were playing without a gamehack), but he doesn't.

Comment

when you play 1v1 you dont have radar and you can definitely hear padded footsteps and them reloading thier gun and stuff.

but personally yes i think there are too many self awareness tools in this game. too many red flashing dots and not enough, watching, listening and intuition.

Originally posted by Rafterman
                For a game you seem to hate so much, you sure have wasted a large portion of your recent life playing it.

you need to REally play the game to get to the point where you are able to see all the flaws and what needs to be changed in order to make a more enjoyable installment. dont look at the critisism in a wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by Forces(UK)
                  I don't hate the game at all.

There are a few annoying people who play it, but even in in their case "hate" would be too strong a word I think.

Finally, given that I have had a huge amount of fun playing BF2142, I don't consider my time wasted at all.
                  I was talking about the OP, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by Darc
                    Look. Radar and slow moving gameplay in general, are camping/spam enablers. There is no debating that. Even on "small" maps there is room to reduce the stagnation by either speeding up the gameplay directly or simply reducing the amount of situational awareness. i.e. radar.
                    Let me turn your argument on its head. Try thinking of games without radar and their ultimately resulting in camping and spamming. CoD4 hardcore. People don't know where people are, so they sit and wait rather than hunt them out. I know plenty of people in this game and I dare suggest that there's an even number of these people to the campers - who when they see a radar use it to plan a strategised movement forward instead of pitching tent and opening a bottle of grenades. Also, it's widely known that small map + high concentration of players = spam, radar or not. CoD4 shipment, and crash on a full server, certain maps on BF2 suffered the same problem.

The part I really found funny was this though :

I've been playing FPS games since they existed in the home market. I know what I like after doing this since before some of you were born. The only person who's not gonna know which way is up, will be you when the industry pulls the rug out from under this tactical shooter fad that has overstayed it's welcome.
                    Congratulations, you've been playing games since some of us were pre-foetal yet you bought a game you were almost pre-destined to disagree with (especially given your tunnel-vision view on the way you like to play the game).

Another tangent to take this is that if this game is so "tactical" for wanna-be generals and people who the closest they will come to the military is driving past a recuiter station- why not rely on the all-seeing commander to relay all the enemy's positional information to squad leaders with manual verbal instructions? That's pretty hardcore right there for the "tactical" crowd.
                    Silly because by the time the commander has finished babbling, everyone has changed position. Totally defunct suggestion.

Overall dude, I get the feeling reading your posts that you just don't like the game much (you play one mode which is doomed to spam and hence this thread) - and you're asking for suggestions that would alter the gameplay entirely, making it more like another game that you enjoy more. You made a post glorifying FEAR, and then apparently you came to 2142 and got disappointed? Totally different FPS style, and not surprising.

Accept one thing though, there are plenty of people who enjoy 2142, plenty of people who when they see one game mode they don't like, attempt a mode they do and may well find they enjoy it. You can go run and gun, find me in game and when I go 70-5 on a full 64 man gib without spamming the chokepoints but instead taking a squad on a rampage behind their front lines. Incidentally, seeing as though you believe 64 man servers to offer you the best pace and excitement... why not try checking your score per minute against your performance in a 32 man server.

E.g, my average score per minute in a 32 man server is around 4-5, my average score per minute in a 64 is about 4-5. Hold on... wait... there's no difference. That technically means I'm getting as much action and killage from both (although on 32 man, my overall round scores are higher - and I'm probably going to die less due to less spam). But you wouldn't know this since you live on 64 man.

I dunno. IMO - you're giving up on the game very quickly, and it's your own fault for not trying to diversify your experience (voss + 64 player city maps... every game will be the same). No real loss for me though. I totally agree with shurikane, the guy talks sense as per usual. You can either give up on the game because it's not your bag of chips, or you can try and make something of it like the rest of us and stop treating it like a one-trick pony. You might find it's more rewarding that way. You honestly cannot argue with most of the forum goers here until you've played more of the game, most of these guys have played every mode, every map and on various slot sizes - and know that plenty of the "problems" in this game have plenty of workarounds. As far as I'm concerned at least, you've basically hit the tip of the iceberg, and told us it was too cold.

This thread WILL go round in circles until you've branched out. You could of course try my decoy beacon suggestion though, then radars won't be a problem because the enemy can't see you on their minimap!!!... don't come back and complain when people STILL spam you on 64 man servers despite you not showing up on their radar though. 64 servers are spammy, end of.

Comment

I think that the OP could have a point about there being 'too much' radar in the game. I wouldn't take anything out of the game though. Maybe the personal scanners (PDS1, IDS1) could be specific to their user and only commander scans show up on everyones map - SL scans on the squads map.

However they do offer one of the sweetest kills you can bring down on an enemy. A knife in the back whilst he's looking at the fake red dot :laugh:

Awhile ago I was thinking about new unlocks and came up with the idea of an Assault unlock that jammed all scans within a 60m radius.

Comment

1. general law of fps dictates that the more clustered a map is with people. the more explosive spam there will be.

2. does anyone else other than me classify 'tactical' as simply being careful and thinking about what you are doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Field
                          2. does anyone else other than me classify 'tactical' as simply being careful and thinking about what you are doing?
                          There's me. I always make sure to activate my heartbeat sensor before yelling "WAAAGH!"

Comment

Originally posted by Field
                            when you play 1v1 you dont have radar and you can definitely hear padded footsteps and them reloading thier gun and stuff.

Yeah i agree, then we could do away with the whole red diamond glitch people get so often... and ill leave it at that because i am to lazy to read anything else in this thread that is longer then 5 sentences... keep it short, sweet, and to the point, for example: "Radar baaaad, Instinct gooood"

Comment

shurikane if you want in depth strategy in an rts i highly reccomend company of heroes, a masterpiece by any standards

Comment

Originally posted by Chris--My--azz
                                shurikane if you want in depth strategy in an rts i highly reccomend company of heroes, a masterpiece by any standards
                                agreed. it is a masterpiece and it re-defines the RTS genre.

Comment

Working...
                                X