Knife vs Body Armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife vs Body Armor

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I don't really feel like pouring through the hundreds of knife threads that have been posted over the past couple of years.

I'm playing a little Tampa Highway this morning. I see a guy pod onto one of the towers overlooking the middle control point (3 I think it is). Before he gets set up, I climb up, walk around the catwalk, and there he is prone and overwatching the area. He doesn't see me.

I go prone, crawl up to him by his shoulder, draw the knife, and CLANK. OK, let's do this again - CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK. He finally notices what I'm trying to do, draws his pistol, gets off one round, and finally - dogtags.

This has happened to me once before. So here's my question - is the body armor coverage completely random when it comes to knife attacks or are there certain areas that I should be "aiming" for when I use the knife?

Thanks.

Re: Knife vs Body Armor

Any part of the body is instant kill with the knife, but since the BF games have wonderful hitboxes, trying to stab them in the legs or arms usually fail.

There is an optimal distance when knifing, if you're too close there's a risk it won't connect at all, but sometimes it will, and you can actually kill people from pretty remarkable distances with it

The knife hit detection, well every weapons hit detection, is in general a bit buggy and you'll sometimes come across people that just can't be killed

Comment

So all of these comments I hear about guys knives deflecting off of helmets and body armor is simply wrong then? When i'm hearing the CLANK sound, what is my knife hitting then?

Comment

nope

Comment

Butterknife syndrome is invariably lag - either on you or your target. You stab him, the game says you stabbed him, but the server interrupts that and says "lol, no."

There have been knife fights I've gotten into in which we've "hit" each other upwards of 8 times before either of us went down. And some standstill persons, I've had to hit them upwards of 4 times to finally kill them.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the replies.

It's funny, the guy I shanked was lying down under a railing. I noticed in some of the YouTube videos that guys had a hard time stabbing their opponents who were lying in the same position.

Comment

When you're too close the knife don't hit. Arm's length does it.

Sometimes when I get shot by a guy I knifed before he knifes my dead body over and over again like a madman (revenge of the noobs?), then usually I hear that "CLANK" sound.

Comment

I have noticed that noobs like to stab my dead body (from their voss spray) after I have knifed them. I laugh because it lets me know that I have gotten to them.

Comment

It's all hit detection issues as they've said above. Though I like how you can take a shot to the head and survive but getting poked in the foot will kill you.

Comment

That's a pretty nasty cut to the foot. What I love is when I am sniping and someone tries to hide behind a wall, but their legs are hanging out through the wall. Then they think you are using hax when you shoot them in the foot and kill them through the wall.

Comment

because the knife might have some futuristic poison from 2142 that travels so fast through your bloodstream that you die quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster View Post
                        because the knife might have some futuristic poison from 2142 that travels so fast through your bloodstream that you die quick.
                        What about BF2?
                        Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
                        That's a pretty nasty cut to the foot. What I love is when I am sniping and someone tries to hide behind a wall, but their legs are hanging out through the wall. Then they think you are using hax when you shoot them in the foot and kill them through the wall.
                        Lol, I love doing that. I've killed a guy through the titan shield with the Clark once since part of his legs and thigh were sticking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
                          What about BF2?
                          It's just a bunch of gaming nerds running around shooting each other, they'll bleed to death in less than a second.

Comment

true^

Comment

Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
                              What I love is when I am sniping and someone tries to hide behind a wall, but their legs are hanging out through the wall. Then they think you are using hax when you shoot them in the foot and kill them through the wall.
                              what i love is when someone is prone w/ legs sticking through a wall. you knife the legs, get the tags & the hackusations commence:thumbsup:

not much i can add that hasn't already been said. lag (pc or internet based) will cause more chink sounds. currently i get at least 2 chinks to every kill...not very good imo. any part is an instant kill, so long as it doesn't result in a "chink"

Comment

Working...
                              X