Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possable to Sue a Server 0wner?

LOL

This may sound funny but the truth is im getting frustrated with Internode Game Servers here in Australia.They already have a heavy hand reputation and i was perm banned a few months ago for the first time in 6 years playing on that server with the battlefield series games(e.g.1942,Nam,bf2 and Mods).

they would not give me a reason and i had to buy another copy from england as Bf2 is not made anymore.

So fine fixed!no worries:yay:

BUT now!

Suddenly im banned for team killing?I have 5 good conduct medals so im no spray nube and rarely team kill,having said that there was a medic shooting me for points so he could heal and i hate that so i did kill him in anger,but its only one team kill i can remember.

If my ban is permanent again this time(and i bloody hope not),Im going to send letters to EA and Dice telling them there wrecking my EA games,and I dont see why defermation of character cant be used in the law process?

Any simulars,Ideas or haha`s out there for advice????lol

To put it in perspective in the same round i last played there was ppl blowing our own stuff up and ppl saying bad bad words,Im starting to thing hackers run the servers here and dont like my competition:shock:

Rambo:salute:
    also i find it disturbing they dont need to explain why!!:evil::evil::dead:

Re: Is it possable to Sue a Server 0wner?

I dislike Internode just as much as the next guy, but you wouldn't win. Not by a long shot.

I'm not a lawyer. From what I understand, however, Internode has no legal obligation to allow you to play on their servers. Who can and cannot game on their networks is completely at their discretion. Even if they banned you for something like "Your name takes off a movie I don't like", they're perfectly entitled to do so.

Defamation of character is also something you would need to prove. You just said yourself that you team killed a guy. In Australia, that means they already have a solid defense against your case based on the fact that you did team kill someone. Truth is a perfect defense for slander cases. You'd argue that the ban conveys something bad about your character, they'd say they banned your for team killing, it's been established that you team killed, you lose.

If you really wanted to go ahead with this (which I would advise against), contact a lawyer. I'd imagine they'd tell you the same thing I just did, but it's still the first step towards taking legal action. The idea is resoundingly stupid though. Cop the ban sweet and move on.

Comment

You can't sue a server owner

That would just be silly.

Comment

Go to internode website and appeal for the ban to be removed. At best the ban will be removed, at worst you should get a reason for the ban. Make sure to seem respectful though.

Comment

Originally posted by yeoldehomer View Post
          I dislike Internode just as much as the next guy, but you wouldn't win. Not by a long shot.

I'm not a lawyer. From what I understand, however, Internode has no legal obligation to allow you to play on their servers. Who can and cannot game on their networks is completely at their discretion. Even if they banned you for something like "Your name takes off a movie I don't like", they're perfectly entitled to do so.

Defamation of character is also something you would need to prove. You just said yourself that you team killed a guy. In Australia, that means they already have a solid defense against your case based on the fact that you did team kill someone. Truth is a perfect defense for slander cases. You'd argue that the ban conveys something bad about your character, they'd say they banned your for team killing, it's been established that you team killed, you lose.

If you really wanted to go ahead with this (which I would advise against), contact a lawyer. I'd imagine they'd tell you the same thing I just did, but it's still the first step towards taking legal action. The idea is resoundingly stupid though. Cop the ban sweet and move on.
          Exactly. This is absurd. It would never hold up in any court. Plus, why would you want to spend so much money just so you can play on one server? That's crazy.

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIllRdSzSug[/media]

Comment

Just wait a while too see if its a time ban. most time bans are like 1 hour or 24 hours by default. try connecting in 24 hours, if you cant then submit a ban appeal.

Originally posted by yeoldehomer View Post
              ...You just said yourself that you team killed a guy. In Australia, that means they already have a solid defense against your case based on the fact that you did team kill someone. Truth is a perfect defense for slander cases. You'd argue that the ban conveys something bad about your character, they'd say they banned your for team killing, it's been established that you team killed, you lose...
              while that does have some truth it, thats absolutely ridiculous to ban for 1 TK. (actually its ridiculous to ban for any TK, when a kick would suffice). and to prove? show me any BF2 account with points that doesn't have any TK's. (minus paddles acct).
              "Crunch's First Officer"
              twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                while that does have some truth it, thats absolutely ridiculous to ban for 1 TK. (actually its ridiculous to ban for any TK, when a kick would suffice). and to prove? show me any BF2 account with points that doesn't have any TK's. (minus paddles acct).
                That's just an argumentum ad populum.

"Just because everyone else does it doesn't mean its ok" or in this case, that servers can't be allowed to ban you for it.

Comment

OK thanks for advice guys,its not something or a option i would want to do !.

Lets just call it frustration with unfair treatment upon me:cry:

I would not pay for it that would be silly but thought a free lawyer in small claims court?,even though this sounds funny too ALL of us should be treated fairly when we buy games and dont cheat or exploit(I mean i dont even base camp because i hate those guys)

Anyway if they are ranked surely they need to answer to EA,Dice for some things?under a contract?,or can one buy a server and ban everyone not in there club so they can run a hackers server?

Im a passionate BF2er thats why i join forums and these guys have killed a good guy (TK`d me) forever(potentually) from a game series ive played for 6+ yrs.

I was also going to switch broadband to them but now why would i

I ment Defamation of character because they have labeled me a bad guy when im clearly not.

I think il leave this and i hope you guys dont get treated the same:salute:

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                  You can't sue a server owner

That would just be silly.
                  Im sure it would be possable if one was Donald Trump:laugh: as a public service needs rules too:nod:

Comment

Originally posted by DontKnockIt225 View Post
                    Go to internode website and appeal for the ban to be removed. At best the ban will be removed, at worst you should get a reason for the ban. Make sure to seem respectful though.
                    you have to sign up on thier forums firstlol what a gimic! and No they dont need to tell you why they banned u at all,as they didnt or wouldnt tell me last time(2 months ago)

which is bad company policy

If anyone want my stats its xRAMBOx and i dont hide my id,why would i?:salute:

Comment

I play Internode's BF2 and other games servers all the time and never get banned ever since I started playing back in wee 2005. Why? Follow their rules.

If you hate Internode so much, go over and play on GA where all the bitching happens.

Playing on someone's server is not a right, it's a privilege, and that privilege lasts only as long as you follow their guidelines. You have no right to sue them for banning you because it's their server and they're running it. They have the right to ban/kick or do whatever they want on their server.

Comment

Originally posted by kaheiyeh View Post
                        I play Internode's BF2 and other games servers all the time and never get banned ever since I started playing back in wee 2005. Why? Follow their rules.

If you hate Internode so much, go over and play on GA where all the bitching happens.

Playing on someone's server is not a right, it's a privilege, and that privilege lasts only as long as you follow their guidelines. You have no right to sue them for banning you because it's their server and they're running it. They have the right to ban/kick or do whatever they want on their server.
                        fair enough but u make them sound like community service angels

do you think they do it for free?

and where does the developer/owner (EA games) come into this?.

you can buy a game from EA with your money $$$$ but not allowed to use the multiplayer mode?

as you know there arent many choices here in Australia

and yes i did follow there rules but when someone starts shooting you on purpose u dont throw flowers back at themlol,i mean do u allow your own medics to shoot you?

Comment

Originally posted by xRAMBOx View Post
                          oper/owner (EA games) come into this?.

you can buy a game from EA with your money $$$$ but not allowed to use the multiplayer mode?
                          You say that, but remember, they buy a server with their $$$, should they not have right to govern it how they feel?

Comment

So, your going to sue someone who is providing a free service? Its like sewing a homeless shelter because there food made you ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamshannon8 View Post
                              So, your going to sue someone who is providing a free service? Its like sewing a homeless shelter because there food made you ill.
                              you cant sell food that kills and then say so what its free lol or what if it had aids in it?would you be happy?

Comment

Working...
                              X