Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Story buildings

Why are they not in games more often?

More specific, why dont they put them in CoD5?

I can understand working doors may be some weird kind of pain, but it seems I get the most fun out of maps that have a lot of buildings and doors and levels to fight through. Not just CoD5 in some of the city battles, but other FPS games as well.

It seems though that most just make it two stories and leave it at that. Why is that? Does it really make any difference? Would it turn that map into a sniper map?

I think having one five story building that has a few rooms and a rooftop or balcony would be pretty good. Look at Crash and Backlot in CoD4. Look at Seelow, Makin (towers), and that huge city with the church tower in CoD5. Those are fun maps!

Anyway, I was thinking about this because I was in Seelow belly crawling in the wheat fields, sniping, and it hit me how there are no larger buildings overall.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Multi-Story buildings

I agree that some higher buildings would be great. 5 floors might be the more extreme end of the scale, but even 3 floors would be better than 2, IMO.

Going back to the MOH days, it was fun fighting in, and clearing out, buildings on maps like Stalingrad and Bridge/Crossroads. And I don't think working doors would be a pain...there were some minor clipping issues with them in MOH, but I think they added some significant elements to the game - some sneakiness was encouraged, players couldn't just camp at the edge of a doorway and shoot others that ran by, and there was a beauty to opening a door and chucking in a nade.

I guess IW wanted a different gameplay feel than in MOH when they designed COD, but I sometimes wish they would've added doors back in, along with multi-floor buildings.

Comment

In my opinion having bigger buildings in maps that are soo small would just lay waste to the rest of the playing enviroment and in a way turn it into another shipment style of map which would suck. Expanding the size of the entire map and then putting in some multi floor building, now that's another story <--omg see wat i did thar? xD

Comment

UO had multistory buildings on almost every map.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
          I agree that some higher buildings would be great. 5 floors might be the more extreme end of the scale, but even 3 floors would be better than 2, IMO.

Going back to the MOH days, it was fun fighting in, and clearing out, buildings on maps like Stalingrad and Bridge/Crossroads. And I don't think working doors would be a pain...there were some minor clipping issues with them in MOH, but I think they added some significant elements to the game - some sneakiness was encouraged, players couldn't just camp at the edge of a doorway and shoot others that ran by, and there was a beauty to opening a door and chucking in a nade.

I guess IW wanted a different gameplay feel than in MOH when they designed COD, but I sometimes wish they would've added doors back in, along with multi-floor buildings.
          Running around Stalingrad and clearing out rooms with the shotty kept me entertained for hours and hours. Man, that was fun.

Comment

Yea, really added a lot to the smaller CoD4 maps having them around, yet another aspect of CoD:WaW that is poor.

Comment

These are some good points. I dont mean that every building be a functional house, but some of the better maps I have played on had multi story buildings.

BF2 had Sharqi Penn. with the 7 story building and stories 1, 2 and rooftop was accessable. 2142, thanks to the transport ships, had towers and roofs and all kinds of stuff to climb on. It made it a lot more dynamic, at least to me.

I think the Crazy Eyed Cat is right about the maps having to be right to have a multi story building. Throw a tower on Shipment and it would just be a room to room frag fest. Of course, its a frag fest anyway

Maybe its no big deal, I would just like to see a bit more in building structure and being able to move through them a bit more. Broadcast was a great map for only being two levels. Again, that church in the center of the town in CoD5 is nice. I love to snipe from and to that spot.

Anyway, maybe it would add too much complexity and promote camping more. Since UO and MOH had doors and multi story buildings, was that a problem? I never played either game.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

mp_vertical for cod4 is a great map that makes good use of multi story buildings.

Comment

Yep, multiple story buildings are fun! I really do miss the doors and windows that could break in MoH. It may seem like a small thing, but if a window has been shot or not, could give you a clue if the enemy was there or not. You could use them to make noise to distract. Which is where I used the doors IMMENSELY in MoH. As a sniper on Bridge/Crossroads in MoHAA, I would be in the top level of the building, crouched, opening door 1, then door 2, but going back into door 1. Messing with the snipers across the street. You could open a door, throw in the nade or have a partner do it, then quickly shut the door again. And the noise of a door opening, was a way to distract/confuse the enemy as to where you were also.

Man...bring back doors that are operable, broken windows, and more multiple story buildings lol. :thumbsup:

Comment

^QFT a bit more enviromental physics wouldn't hurt at all.

Comment

Multi-story buildings would make the shotguns a viable choice, perhaps?
                      I like the shotguns in COD4, but in W@W you pretty much have to hold someone down and put the gun to his head to kill with the trenchgun.

Comment

Yeh i would love a few multi storey buildings on COD4...Just create a local server and get noclip on the go..go into some buildings and they actually have interiors...so im guessing IW actually wanted to do some more multi storey buildings but took them out before a final release of the game....

Comment

Anybody here play BHD? Mean Streets had a building where one of the checkpoints was located in a 3 story building. You could climb on top of the roof and come in from the top, come in from the bottom, and I think there was one other entrance. It was so much fun having people flash it and clear the levels, and it was always a rush trying to defend it. I'd love to see that kind of gameplay return to games.

Comment

Americas Army had a level designed specifically for multi-story buildings. It was pretty fun.

Comment

For the stock maps, they might just want to keep the flow to 2 planes, and not be all over up place, with people looking straight up and straight down, instead keep it closer to a 2-d battlefield.

However, mod maps will break with alot of convention, and thats why you have maps like Valhalla in COD4, which was a Oil rig on the ocean, at night. Hard as hell, and worth every death, because it was multi level, with so many platforms, catwalks, and perfect shadows its perhaps one of the hardest maps I've ever played.

Comment

Working...
                              X