Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shield overloading

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • shield overloading

    i took a break for most of 2008 but now i'm playing again and i just heard about "shield overloading."

    can anyone tell me when this came to light? who figured it out, how was it figured out? was it added in 1.50? how exactly does it work? can you use any weapon or only certain weapons? is it a bug or a feature?

  • #2
    Re: shield overloading

    As far as I know it has been possible since the game came out.
    Someone very bored must have figured it out, or the person that designed it that way must have leaked the info.
    Only engineer can overload shields, possibly only pilum. There is a video on Youtube.
    According to EA it is not a bug and up to the individual server admins if they allow it or not. As no servers seem to broadcast that they allow it and you would probably get kicked for asking it generally doesn't happen.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: shield overloading

      To overload a shield, go to corridors 3 or 4 on a Titan and shoot 14 engineer anti-tank rockets at it (Mitchell, Sudnik or Pilum). Doing this destroys the console below and allows you into the upper console room.

      Be sure to check server rules before doing this as it is not allowed on every server and DICE has left it to the individual admins to decide.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: shield overloading

        perhaps it's a way dice wanted titan attackers to counter the impenetrable lower corridors when 10 support guys have their sentries and 10/grenades per second spamming the entrance. if EA says it's not illegal, then i say let them do it. i hate those corridor spammers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: shield overloading

          Originally posted by Natt View Post
          As far as I know it has been possible since the game came out.
          Someone very bored must have figured it out, or the person that designed it that way must have leaked the info.
          Only engineer can overload shields, possibly only pilum. There is a video on Youtube.
          According to EA it is not a bug and up to the individual server admins if they allow it or not. As no servers seem to broadcast that they allow it and you would probably get kicked for asking it generally doesn't happen.
          Yes, it has been possible since the game came out. As Shurikane said you can use any of the Engi AT weapons and it is the same count, 14 shots, no matter which one you use.

          There was a thread discussing which servers allowed it and which didn't over on the EA Forums.
          http://forums.easports.com/mboards/t...t=30&tstart=90

          Basically the list ended up as:

          ALLOWED:
          lZl clan
          FLOT
          TG (Tactical Gamer)
          3AC (3rd Armored Cav)
          =NfB=
          [TBG] (True Born Gamers)
          ZU
          =S8J=
          PS1441

          NOT ALLOWED:
          SFO
          =ATU=
          HoH (Honor our Heros)
          FCW (Full Contact War)
          308 o/s
          =TOG= (The Older Gamers)
          GHF
          ICONZ

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: shield overloading

            you can use rdx for that to. there's a spot where you can kill the enemies nade spammers by putting rdx on the walls. dunno if this is allowed to talk about, or if it has been fixed in 1.50.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: shield overloading

              Originally posted by sempf View Post
              you can use rdx for that to. there's a spot where you can kill the enemies nade spammers by putting rdx on the walls. dunno if this is allowed to talk about, or if it has been fixed in 1.50.
              That seems more like an exploit

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: shield overloading

                Yes, that is an exploit where you are taking advantage of the blast radius projecting through the wall.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: shield overloading

                  I don't understand why some server admins would not allow this. It's not like it would be difficult to counter this tactic.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: shield overloading

                    Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
                    I don't understand why some server admins would not allow this. It's not like it would be difficult to counter this tactic.
                    Laziness and not wanting to actually defend. The would rather put down some sentry guns, pitch a tent, and then spam grenades.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: shield overloading

                      yeah that would mean they would have to leave their tent and face the enemies outside the corridor where they can actually get hurt. lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: shield overloading

                        All you need to counter it is one guy with a grenade going through and just dropping it right outside the shield. Shield overloading is way too slow to use unless you're playing on a really bad pub server.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: shield overloading

                          Actually you can hit them from the vents too. It is slow and does take a long time which is why I only resort to it if the defenders are dug in and not moving from their comfy little homes down in corridor 1 and 2. It is nice to have an alternative to running that gauntlet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: shield overloading

                            Personaly, I think its fair play to overload, considering it takes 14 rounds to do it. But.. server rules are the rules.

                            Are emp gernades to the walls, to stun sentrys and scramble huds ligit ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: shield overloading

                              Originally posted by Skates View Post
                              Actually you can hit them from the vents too. It is slow and does take a long time which is why I only resort to it if the defenders are dug in and not moving from their comfy little homes down in corridor 1 and 2. It is nice to have an alternative to running that gauntlet.
                              You can hit them from the vents???! I didn't know that! I'll have to give it a try next time I am an engineer and there is a supply guy nearby. Agree with the other posters though, 14 shots is a huge number, the pilum takes forever to load another round. Any defending team which allows 14 consecutive pilum shots isn't putting up much of a defense. However, I assume this tactic has no effect at all on Corridor 1 & 2 consoles, so it is not like you will get around the grenade spammers by pulling it off. Or did I miss something?

                              DD.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X