Whattya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whattya think?

I personally thought it was pretty linear and not very interesting tbh... the weapon controls felt odd, zooming in with middle mouse? WTF?

The graphics were great and it was a great mood all over even though I personally don't like games that are very dark and where you barely see anything 80% of the time...

The weapons lack an ironsights function (as always with Valve) which basically annoys me a lot, but other than that the sounds and animations are pretty sweet. Ace voiceovers and nice level design, I could find my way through without using a map of some sort. I loved the voiceover when you pick up explosives, and blowing up boomers is just way fun. Great ragdoll effects and some pretty damn sweet decapitation. My favourite moment this far was using the sniper rifle at this zombie running at me from above some stairs, then I noscoped his head off and he flew right in front of me in a bloody pool of goo. lol.

I like that the game surprises you and you don't really know when to expect something... like those times when everything is silent, you hear a little "rawr" from behind a door and hell breaks out!

I'm sure the game gets better towards the end but it's not an immediate buy for me... even though the game is great it lacks replay value (this far) and MP doesn't seem all that attractive for me either. I'll proabably pick it up later when the price has dropped a bit.

I haven't tried Co-op yet, but that's something for tomorrow *yawn*

Post your opinions, pros and cons, anything.

Cheers

Re: Whattya think?

If the demo has keep me entertained for hours i can't wait till all the levels are released.Custom maps will be very awesome as well.

Console commands spice up the demo as well,nothin like 20 witches getting pissed off at you!

Comment

You haven't tried Co-op? Maybe that's what's missing.

Very intense gameplay, plenty of teamwork required especially at the hardest difficulty, awesome voice overs.

The AIDirector does keep things fresh, but to an extent. Of course, the amount of content available in just this demo is quite a lot.

So far, it seems most fun with friends. Those Achievements should help keep everyone playing for a long time.

Also, the price currently seem very expensive from my perspective. To get it and 2 others for my bros would mean around 200 Aussie Dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by iQu'e View Post
        zooming in with middle mouse? WTF?

The weapons lack an ironsights function (as always with Valve) which basically annoys me a lot
        What's wrong with that?

I usually assign zoom functions to mouse3 in most games.

Also, this game doesn't have a need for ironsights, as it mostly deals with close-combat environments, as well as linear ones. Even the hunting rifle scope feels worthless a lot of the time. Scopes & ironsights are for large, open enviorments imo.

Comment

The whole point of the game is the teamwork aspect. If you don't play with 3 other people (mics make it even better) it completely defeats the purpose, imho.

I'm hope in the full game there will be more co-op, strategy, and teamwork elements as well as the run-and-gun zombie killing style. Maybe even where you have to split up individually or smaller teams?

Possibilities are immense!

Originally posted by so1id sn@ke View Post
          Also, this game doesn't have a need for ironsights, as it mostly deals with close-combat environments, as well as linear ones. Even the hunting rifle scope feels worthless a lot of the time. Scopes & ironsights are for large, open enviorments imo.
          agreed. Even if ironsights were available, I would have found no need for them, especially since I prefer the shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by jake___
            The whole point of the game is the teamwork aspect. If you don't play with 3 other people (mics make it even better) it completely defeats the purpose, imho.

I'm hope in the full game there will be more co-op, strategy, and teamwork elements as well as the run-and-gun zombie killing style. Maybe even where you have to split up individually or smaller teams?
            There's a glimpse of this in the final-stand room in the demo, where one person has to man the minigun, but he/she can't turn a full 90 degrees, and there a hole in the back where zombies can pop out....

Also, normally I hardly ever mic-talk during a game, as my house has thin walls and it weirds my family out to see me talking to my computer screen, but L4D makes me use my mic more then any other game I've played. Probably because the voicecoms, (which I rely on in most games because I don't really talk and because I just like using them in games like TF2) while good, don't really cover a lot of stuff.

For example, other then what the characters automatically say sometimes, there's no way to warn of a specific zombie type (like, say, a boomer in the next room) without using your mic. Also, there's no "stick together" or "fall back" voicecom, which I find really weird considering it's in lots of other games where actually sticking together isn't really important, CS for example.

Edit: Speaking of voicecoms, I don't know if I turned it on or if it was default, but does anyone see HL2-style subtitles when voicecoms are used? I thought it was a nice touch, as some voicecoms are really important that you pick up on (like the ones that point out weapons or spot zombie bosses).

Comment

Loving the demo. The stand out feature for me is the choice (or lack thereof) of guns. It's great having only "normal" weapons. All stuff you might expect to find in a real outbreak.

The guns are spot on and the best I've used in any game in terms of the feeling you get from using them. Especially dual pistols. Can't wait to try the Akimbo Assassin achievement.

Comment

i think the hunting rifle will come in handy in other levels like the rural chapter or just when you're out in the middle of the street.

Comment

Originally posted by so1id sn@ke
                  Also, normally I hardly ever mic-talk during a game, as my house has thin walls and it weirds my family out to see me talking to my computer screen, .
                  Same here.

Or they find it just plain weird that I'm talking to strangers.

Comment

Mics and good mates are a must on here. I agree though, I think I'll wait till Valve drops the price a little before I pick this one up.

Comment

Dude, you HAVE to play this with 3 of your buds in order to get the whole experience.

Most think its just an okay game until they play through the demo on expert with three friends. More zombies, more shooting, and more teamwork.

Picking up the rifles and picking off zombies in the head is pretty fun...

Comment

Working...
                      X