Is commander killing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is commander killing wrong?

In tournament-style on-going warfare, we'd dedicate a spec ops team to harass the commander and attack the main. Keeping the enemy commander from servicing the troops under his command can put the enemy at a serious disadvantage.

Soon enough, he's dedicated a rapid reaction force to handle security at the main to protect vehicles and assets. That's a winning strategy as he now has less troops in the field. Keep pummeling him at the main and you can completely throw the other team off-balance. I've been on both sides of this strat a number of times. :salute:

Try that in the pubs and you'll get kicked. But in the best battles I've had that was a vital component. Why? Because it deals directly with supply line and reinforcement issues as well as denying access to equipment and vehicles which will kill you and your buddies.

Comment

Totally agree that servers are WAY out of hand with the customizations and rules, and the admining is more often than not corrupt, and favoring the admin and/or his buddies. Thats in all the games out there, not just this one. By corrupt i mean, that their rules are not always enforced evenly. They can do it too you, but you get kicked for doing it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro Noob View Post
        Totally agree that servers are WAY out of hand with the customizations and rules, and the admining is more often than not corrupt, and favoring the admin and/or his buddies. Thats in all the games out there, not just this one. By corrupt i mean, that their rules are not always enforced evenly. They can do it too you, but you get kicked for doing it to them.
        Then you are playing on the wrong servers.

Sonic, you and I both know that there is a world of difference between competitive play and the pubs. Most of the rules that are in place on pub servers are there to keep one team from wiping out the other one and emptying a server after 2-3 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tann San View Post
          Last night I was playing on the UK Warfare server and my team was just ahead of the other side. Their commander (a UKWF member) was doing a really good job of keeping us back from a few flags so I decided I'd go and take care of them. The map was berlin so I jumped in a buggy and drove straight to their base.
          There are no buggys on the Berlin map.

Comment

thought Belgrade but wrote Berlin, my bad :¬)

Comment

i am such a pain in the commanders ***, i just cant help it. i sometimes dedicate rounds just to knife their commander, sometimes i even change team when i see our commander lying prone at the pac boat:P

did this to TitanGunther a few weeks ago, got him 4 times. neeeearly 5:P

he got a bit pissed but hey, i can live with that=)

Comment

Let me speak on some experience on commanding in BF2142! Its always a welcome to have someone come into your AO and try to find you! Non-experience commanders you can knife because lilke you said they don't move. Experience commanders like myself will knife you when you are looking!
                Yes, commanders should not be in the gun fight at least! You need to provide UAV to your troops and supply drops for the armor vehicles. Orbital and EMP strikes are just to give the enemy harraresment.
                But, overall if you want to win in the game as the commander then watch you players in helping them win instead of losing all the flags because you were not paying attention to the game!

Comment

i've seen some enemy commanders that try to take me out when i command. he'll SAT scan and look for a lone red dot which is usually the commander hanging back. he'll orb strike me and i'll have to look for a hiding spot with a roof.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel View Post
                    It doesn't matter that these are all wartime strategies that any army so equipped would instantly take advantage of. This is supposed to be a game about warfare. A fundamental aspect of warfare is adapting, improvising and overcoming that which is in opposition. These rules "dumb-down" the warfare and limit the will of free men.
                    Lessee, so in warfare you die and can re-enter the battle after a 15 second period? And in warfare when you enter into battle you are forced to instant-spawn in one of 5 or 6 locations which are known to the enemy, and which location is randomly selected? It seems to me the game designers limited the will of free men to select an entry point and it's up to the server admin's to provide a counter for that error, but maybe that's just me.

I'm pretty sure this is not a game about warfare. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun, warfare is decidedly not fun. Games that are fun give the opponents an equal chance of winning, war is not about equal chances.

If I don't have fun, I stop playing. If I spawn, get shot by a walker, spawn again, get shotgunned, spawn again, get RDX'd, and spawn again and get Voss'd, all within the first second after spawning, I'm not having fun. I have no tactic for escaping this situation. The other team has already won because we allowed them to establish their position, but it's an uncap, so the game goes on. If the other team thinks this is fun, I guess that's their prerogative. I don't like being on either side of base-raping. But you're right it's a game about warfare, let's make sure the other team doesn't have any fun...

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel
                      I hate rules which aren't in the game. The server my clan used to run had a bunch of rules, too and I hated them. "Don't go in the uncap" ... it's a war game, right. FFS, shoot me if I'm in your uncap!
                      There's your problem.

Comment

Commander is fair game. If they keep spotting me from my nice sniping spot, i'll spend the rest of the round making his job as irritating as possible

Comment

Just got PB kicked from the Monkey Squadplay server, killed an [MG] commander, drove off straight away and before I'd reached the Pond flag I got the kick. Think I'm going to leave commander killing alone. Seems a real shame, my team is getting hammered with orbital strikes, our snipers are getting spotted and I have to just run around and take it.

Comment

Working...
                          X