Is commander killing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is commander killing wrong?

Last night I was playing on the UK Warfare server and my team was just ahead of the other side. Their commander (a UKWF member) was doing a really good job of keeping us back from a few flags so I decided I'd go and take care of them. The map was berlin so I jumped in a buggy and drove straight to their base. The commander was just lying prone in one of the tunnel entrances. I didn't even have to go looking for them. Walked up, knifed them and jumped back in the buggy and away I was. A short while later I decided to try the same thing again, there they were, prone in the same entranceway. Knifed them again and sped off. A minute later and I'm kicked from the server. No warnings, nada.

I should point out that they weren't boxed into their default spawn area, they had around half the flags.

I went in with a direct goal, take out the commander. I wasn't loitering and killing new spawners. Each time I was in the base for 30 seconds to a minute. Just the time to walk up them, tag em and speed off. In my mind they should of picked a decent hiding place and proning in the same place was just dumb.

So did I break a taboo I'd never been aware of? Are we supposed to leave the commanders alone?

Re: Is commander killing wrong?

Commanders somehow assumes they have invisibility.

When you kill their commander, they lose a very vital part of their team. Some see it as unfair, I don't. If you see an enemy on the ground how can you not knife him

Comment

It all depends on their server rules. If they allow it then by all means go ahead. A good commander will hide and be very hard to sneak up on as he will be running Sat-Scans and watching everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by UKWF Site
        1. Commanders are not to leave the Titan/Uncap. They Can Defend
        2. Pilots DO NOT eject from transport ships
        3. DO NOT Attack the uncap unless you are recon destroying assets and then only fire if fired upon [Buffer]
        4. Anyone DELIBERATELY team killing for any reason WILL be kicked
        5. Persistent Spawn campers will be kicked. This includes Beacon Camping
        6. Players can be kicked to make way for Clan members starting with lone wolves
        7. No kamikaze or Ramming
        8 Anyone found cheating will be banned and reported to EA
        9. Do not shoot at the titan shields with AA guns it causes lag. If you do you will be kicked
        10. Do not put motion mines on Titan Shields
        11. Persistent rule breakers will be banned
        12. We operate a zero tolerance policy
        WE HAVE A ZERO TOLLERANCE POLICY AND OFFENDERS WILL BE KICKED WITHOUT WARNING
        Rule 3 says it's ok to go in and destroy assets. I definately see the commander as an asset, without them the other assets don't function. I guess it's up to interpretation though. I think I'll ask them at their forum later today. I usually only play on a few servers and theirs is one of them.

Comment

i dont see a problem with it:laugh:

i remember when docdurchschnit was commander and was prone near the water as pac in the uncap on camp gib. he knows i was after him for months. got him 5 seconds before he disconnected haha!:laugh:

Comment

5. Persistent Spawn campers will be kicked. This includes Beacon Camping
            Well, that's one server I sure as hell won't play on. I don't feel like catering to someone's stupidity of not checking up on his situation before spawning on a beacon.

As far as I'm concerned, the commander is a soldier like anyone else and can be killed. Take note, however, that in several cases, he is protected by the "no base raping" rule, so in these cases, you can't attack the CO unless it's in self-defence.

Comment

absolutely nothing wrong with killing the commander over and over what rediculous horse poop

beacon camping lol theyre kidding right? right? kicked for BEACON CAMPING?? that is so stupid i dont even know what to say

Comment

I hate rules which aren't in the game. The server my clan used to run had a bunch of rules, too and I hated them. "Don't go in the uncap" ... it's a war game, right. FFS, shoot me if I'm in your uncap!

"You're too close to the uncap and I'll kick you if you get any closer..." Well, tell them to come out and fight then! I'm here to play and they are hiding in their uncap!

Telling players not to go to certain parts of the map is like saying, "Terrorists, stay out of our cities" ... yeah, right. Let me know how that works.

Now, someone come slap me for being inconsiderate of the n00bs who can't eject the enemy. If that is the case, you're playing on the wrong server without enough players.

The only reasons rules like this exist is to keep partially populated servers from drying up. The "server bailout" doesn't cost $700 billion, but it does cost your freedom from doing what you want to do. Thanks to the smacktards for their contributions to our represssion. LOL

If more maps were Double Assault this wouldn't be such an issue either as both teams have an equal chance of getting out of their main base.

/rant

Freedom is precious.

Comment

I think having server rules other than no cheating/glitching/griefing is stupid and a waste of every ones time. 99% of the time it is nothing more than a vehicle for a frustrated admin to self justify kicking/banning someone killing him in a way he does not like.

Why is it that I am expected to play the game a different way depending upon which server I join? Why must I change my play style or learn a different way to do things depending on the whims of the server admin? My favorites are the servers that say "Visit our website for server rules". What's up with that? I have to go to their website, and read your list of rules so I know what I can and can't do, or risk getting banned? I am not of the mind that paying for a server automatically gives you the right to dictate how the game is played. At least not in a ranked server environment. Even tho EA does not enforce or care, I really do think that ranked servers should be no rules servers. Anything less distorts the stats of people who play on the server the most often "the admins".

Having said that, I ignore server rules all together and substitute my one golden rule. Don't be an ***, and you won't get kicked by decent admins. But if you see me in a server, count on me to swipe your vehicles if I'm near your uncap, place motions mines on your shield if you're camping the back deck in a gunship, go in and kill you in your uncap if your team is too bad to get out (mercy killing IMHO), and kill you each in every time you spawn on a beacon that I find. If you kick me for it, do me a favor and ban me so that I don't make the mistake of joining your server again accidentally.

Now as bad as that sounds, I'm still welcome in most servers that don't have morons for admins because I don't make an *** of myself about doing it. Just because I will drop a transport on a walker occasionally does not mean that I do it all the time at the exclusion of everything else. You're way more likely to get a pilum in the *** of your walker from me, than to have me drop a transport on you. But if a ram is the tactically smart thing to do then that's what I'm gonna do, no matter what the server rules are.

Signed,
                  A player who's tired of cry baby admins and who just wants to play the game without having to worry about a bunch of ********.

Comment

on one hand limiting what people do in a server is annoying but then on the other hand people that wont play on a server because of certain rules are basically showing that they cant think creatively and win in any situation

look at many action heros in most of your movies and they are presented with situations where they are disadvantaged in some way or have the odds against them but then they are able to improvise and still come out on top. just something to think about.

Comment

If you guys don't like rules, then pull out your credit card and rent a server. Run it as an anything goes with no rules and have fun.:thumbsup:

As for EA not caring, they have stated that ranked servers can enforce rules as long as it does not create and inflated scoring scenario.

Server Administrators may implement and enforce rules that result in minor changes to gameplay behavior or styles as long as these are clearly stated before a player starts playing on a server. These rules typically introduce minor or limited restrictions on how a certain aspect of the game can be used, but do not create or promote an environment that would allow abuse of the scoring/award system. Examples of such rules that are acceptable are:

* Limiting movement of combat assets, such as Titans, Ships, Aircraft and Vehicles during game play – Disallowing all aircraft for example is not acceptable.
                      * Disallowing repeated main base camping/attacking of bases that cannot be captured. However, in such cases, attacking the base with reasonable intent to take out assets (artillery, command outpost, or radar) are acceptable.
                      * Limiting the use of artillery or any other single commander asset to a particular region of the map.

Comment

Funny thing is, I thought I was playing a wee bit outside the box. I thought I was taking care of the problem at its source. He was setup as an engineer so killing one of the stationary assets wouldn't of been worth while.

Personally I think they missed some of the fun of being the commander, I find a nice part of the job is being stealthy and finding the ideal position to switch to the commander console. I like to lay traps and such for anyone who gets near me. I'm a mad sat scanner though and have it running as often as possible. It's hard to keep an eye on people sneaking up on me when I'm zoomed in on another side of the map but then I hope my defenses cover me.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel
                          I hate rules which aren't in the game. The server my clan used to run had a bunch of rules, too and I hated them. "Don't go in the uncap" ... it's a war game, right. FFS, shoot me if I'm in your uncap!
                          The actual, logical explanation for this rule is that the uncap should really have been a place where the enemy force is massed, and in such strength that trying to enter the uncap would be suicide (i.e.: all 300 infantry units are stationed there, ready to go into combat, and the team sends reinforcements as the battle develops.) Now, of course, this is impossible given our current level of computer technology and netcode (imagine the lag!), so the best that can be done is a base that cannot be capped and is treated as a safe haven from which a soldier can spawn and prepare prior to entering the main battle grounds. Sort of like the locker room in Team Fortress 2.

Thus, some server admins feel that baseraping under the conditions set in the game creates an unrealistic scenario - therefore, they forbid it.

Parenthesis: if your team is victim of baseraping, hold your spawn and make sure the rest of your team does so. Do not spawn until the game ends or the enemy leaves, whichever comes first. There is no reason for you to spawn in an assured death scenario, so take the moment to hit the john and grab a coffee before the next round rather than ruin your K/D ratio over a lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Skates View Post
                            If you guys don't like rules, then pull out your credit card and rent a server. Run it as an anything goes with no rules and have fun.:thumbsup:

...snip...
                            I frequently rent servers for special events, so I have no problem with your idea.

As a server adminstrator, you've got to like rules because they make things less painful for you. Also, you're trying to keep your servers populated, so you don't want things going on which might irk the locals. I can understand that and even follow those rules.

If I join on a server, I play by those local rules. That doesn't mean I like them. Frankly, I'm not fond of any server-side rules which affect game play.

I got tired of some of the undocumented features of Bf2142 and moved on when I had enough. Those rules you quote, Skates, are exactly what I'm talking about. Those are all crappy rules which are abused in reality. You know what I'm talking about -- we're not newbs here.

Don't move the Titan. Don't use the gunship. No Walker until a certain number of players on both sides. Don't fire artillery into the enemy main...

It doesn't matter that these are all wartime strategies that any army so equipped would instantly take advantage of. This is supposed to be a game about warfare. A fundamental aspect of warfare is adapting, improvising and overcoming that which is in opposition. These rules "dumb-down" the warfare and limit the will of free men.

I don't like the limitations, so I don't play those reindeer games. I'm playing "rules-free" in AIX right now with some very effective virtual soldiers. It's who you play alongside and against which really matters. The pubs are not a great gaming experience anyways so they can have their rules.

I am free and I'm not giving that over -- even in gaming. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Tann San View Post
                              Funny thing is, I thought I was playing a wee bit outside the box. I thought I was taking care of the problem at its source. He was setup as an engineer so killing one of the stationary assets wouldn't of been worth while.

Personally I think they missed some of the fun of being the commander, I find a nice part of the job is being stealthy and finding the ideal position to switch to the commander console. I like to lay traps and such for anyone who gets near me. I'm a mad sat scanner though and have it running as often as possible. It's hard to keep an eye on people sneaking up on me when I'm zoomed in on another side of the map but then I hope my defenses cover me.
                              if your commander and you dont want to get killed go take a dip in the water somewhere.

personally i wouldnt bother trying to kill the enemy commander if hes in some obscure location because in the same amount of time i could have probably killed 5 regular people or taken a flag or something

Comment

Working...
                              X