Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Run two instances of BF2 on one computer w/ 2 cd-keys

Originally posted by Jimtool655321
    Hmm. I have 4GB. My 32-bit XP only sees a little over 3GB. I'm wondering if I could use the other GB if I ran a VM... Can VMs see RAM that the primary OS doesn't?
    Unless VMWare (that's what I'm familiar with) has a new feature, I'm fairly certain it only uses what you give it from what's left of your system (XP) memory.

Comment

Originally posted by finc.hairy View Post
      Would logging into 2 separate Windows user accounts work?
      No, they will both write / read to the same registry

Originally posted by Sloi sauce
      You need a considerable amount of RAM, otherwise you'll be paging the f*ck out of BF2's files. Poor, poor HDD...
      Not if you lower the video specs for both (or one).

Comment

Originally posted by Adamshannon8
        No, they will both write / read to the same registry

Not if you lower the video specs for both (or one).
        They'll still need an average of 600MB each... 1200MB for two processes, and we haven't calculated VMWare and XP's share yet.

You need 3GB of ram and a fairly beefy CPU.

Comment

We may be overlooking something here, but it might be hard-coded. I can't say I know too much about how the registry is handled, but couldn't we have two BF2 installations and set one to read a different registry location? Or perhaps log one in first, then inject the other encrypted key into the registry before logging in the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimtool655321 View Post
            We don't want to aid and abet a scrote with padding. Anything I can do to frustrate and annoy a cheater/padder/hacker makes me happy.
            That is my throne. Now F*** off.

J/k

Comment

Using 2 accounts to statpad?

rofl imagine of all the pain in the a$$ methods to do that, one would use 2 accts on the same box?

2 accounts on the same box is good for idling in your server so you keep ppl in it, or shooting movies. Anything more than that is a major pain in the carpel tunnel.

Though for movies there's way easier methods...... like I used when I made this!
              [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qjYlPNo3Ds[/media]

Comment

Always loved that vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamshannon8 View Post
                  but ya, you need a pretty good computer to handle the 2nd instance of bf2.
                  Doesn't even matter how good your physical computer is if the virtual computer's video card doesn't support the pixel shaders required by BF2.
                  EDIT: Virtual PC's emulated video card:
                  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC )
                  standard SVGA VESA graphics card (S3 Trio 32 PCI with 4 MB Video RAM, adjustable in later versions up to 16 MB)
                  That won't run BF2.

Originally posted by Chael View Post
                  Or perhaps log one in first, then inject the other encrypted key into the registry before logging in the other?
                  There's only one key location (not in the user-specific part of the registry). If BF2 only reads the CD key on startup changing the registry after starting the first instance might work.

Comment

This just screams statpadder, but what the heck, run a virtual machine. If you don't understand that, then you don't deserve to.

Comment

Working...
                    X