When Gaming Goes Download Only, My Gaming Days Are Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Gaming Goes Download Only, My Gaming Days Are Done

I found this article today and I really agreed with it and I remember the podcast crew talking about this with the thing from Bioware over Mass Effect on the PC. Take a look:
    There’s talk from multiple camps about the possibility of digital distribution digital distribution overtaking retail completely, and that doesn’t sit right with me. Take this quote for example:

Microsoft says there is ‘no question’ that the sale of downloaded games will overtake the sales of games at retail in the coming years.

According to David Gosen, Xbox Europe’s VP of strategic marketing and Live, “There’s no question digital will overtake physical. It happened in music and will happen to our industry.”

He was talking as part of his keynote speech at Microsoft’s UK Gamefest developer event in central London today.

Gosen told attendees that “convergence is happening” in the industry as consumers turn to games consoles to deliver content digitally, be that games or movies.

You can take that how you will, and I fully expect that you’d read the article yourself, but my take may be a bit different from yours. It could be implying that profits from digitally distributed games would be higher than those from retail shops, and if that’s what they’re trying to say, forgive me for blowing things out of proportion.

In my opinion though, this article basically implies a bit more than digital distribution for games becoming more popular in the future. Specifically the assurance that downloaded games will overtake the sales of retail. The idea that digital music is selling higher than classic is pretty funny, considering that recent sales put digital music sales at 15% of overall music sales:

Digital sales, however, continue to grow dramatically. Digital album sales are up 34% to 31.6 million units, which represent 15.5% of all album sales.

No, I won’t disregard the fact that downloads are rising dramatically. That’s all fine and good, fantastic even, but the fact remains that digital music isn’t selling more than physical music, which makes me wonder why the spin was attempted.

Having experienced Xbox Live myself, I fully expect that Microsoft would be pushing the service as the de facto for the idea, but the thing that worries me most about this article is the implication that full, retail games will be distributed through the service. Technically, that’s already happening with the Xbox Originals feature of the service, but for current or future generation games? I think not.

Personally, while I enjoy Xbox Live as much as the next gamer, I don’t love any service enough to give up physical copies of games that cost any more than $20. There are too many factors involved that don’t work for the consumer.

Read the rest of the article here.

Re: When Gaming Goes Download Only, My Gaming Days Are Done

If digital download does it right, I dont think it will be an issue. I like having a disc, but even they have problems. If done correctly, it works. Its a BIG if though.

I dont know, im going to re-read the article and make a better opinion.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I agree with the fact that they stated about broadband.

Most of the world does not have super fast internet. Not even here in the USA only major citys have super fast internet that is affordable.

Comment

a price drop in games would help as well. No boxes, cd, shipping and markup. you would think that would save a few bucks

Comment

Originally posted by Manzi
          I agree with the fact that they stated about broadband.

Most of the world does not have super fast internet. Not even here in the USA only major citys have super fast internet that is affordable.
          That's my major problem with downloading games.

Comment

I'm quite content with digital distribution. I currently don't have the fastest net, but with things like pre-loading and just setting things to download over night, I'm fine with it. Steam has really spoiled me in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
              That's my major problem with downloading games.
              here too, i have to wait for a few hours to get a demo either on PS3 or PC if the demo is around 700MB, if over i will have to wait half a day

Comment

I'm happy downloading games as long as they let us backup the content on a disk of our own so we don't have to re-download multiple times. Steam lets you do this with their games.

You must move with the times, not resist them.

Comment

Right now, there are still enough issues with speed/compatibility/patching/etc that downloading isn't the choice many would go with. But as technology and planning for digital versions improves, it will likely be the standard one day. Not quite there yet, but once it's more reliable and convenient, I'll have no problem with it. But for now, I prefer a disc version.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                    I'm happy downloading games as long as they let us backup the content on a disk of our own so we don't have to re-download multiple times. Steam lets you do this with their games.

You must move with the times, not resist them.
                    It's quite nice. I have a rather extensive collection on Steam and I just downloaded and put a lot of games on DVD backups for a rainy day.

Comment

Retail is still much better than digital, but it's nice having a digital backup incase you lose the disc. Especially with the newer games coming in at about 10gb, because when I think about that and do the math. I have a 150 kbps dl speed, so 10,000,000kb/150kb= 66,667 seconds to download. Which equals 1111 minutes or a ****ing 18.5 hours, in which time I could have gone to the store and come home and installed it about 27 times counting the time it takes me to go to the store and install the game (40 min). So therefore digital loses...

Comment

What about games you can pre-load weeks in advance though? You still rather go out at midnight and make a trip, come back and authenticate the game when you could have it downloaded and just start the authentication immediately?

Comment

Steam ftw

No hassle running around the house looking for your DVD's or having to get a new copy when your disc snaps in half or gets a bit too many scratches.

To be honest, I've gotten ***** cracks for most of my games so I don't have to use the disc. That's not very different to use a downloadable version of the game for me

Comment

Steam is a excellent example.I would love if I could add non steam games on my account,bf2 for example,so where ever I go it can be played.Steam needs to have a way to get games that are on steam on your account,example I have coh retail but can't get it on steam to download.

Comment

Originally posted by Basil. View Post
                              a price drop in games would help as well. No boxes, cd, shipping and markup. you would think that would save a few bucks
                              This won't happen. When they changed from Jewel Case to DVD case they said it would be cheaper and it would make games cheaper as well, but we never saw that happen.

I like it to have something material on my desk and that won't change. Maybe if the two methods will be fluid, like buying a case with DVD and a code, where you get access to the game over the internet as well. So basically the example Stephen stated, something like that would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X