First Crytek no Id Software :S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Crytek no Id Software :S

I think having games delivered through the net is a great way to do it and i dont understand why more people dont.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
      I think having games delivered through the net is a great way to do it and i dont understand why more people dont.
      A lot of people like to have a physical copy. If it's just a file and a cd-key somewhere it doesn't feel like you've bought anything. Things can get corrupted, bad downloads etc, you're not as in control.

Comment

I totally agree and i feel that way, but it these physical copies that are potentially the piracy problem now. I agree though, it will go much like the graph stated.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
          I buy many of my games online, but:
          1. The patches are often out later than retail
          2. The prices are often higher than retail
          3. Some (lets call them "EA") have a time limit on your download
          4. You cannot sell or give away your old games

Comment

Well, if ID, Crytek are moving to the consoles and even the original designer of Diablo 2 and 3 (left while designing D3) said that he has given up on the PC as a gaming platform, it must be true to some extent. I find myself playing my PS3 more than PC lately, and I swore I will never join the "dark" side.

I wanna see how D3 sells.

Comment

It doesn't help that all the big companies like EA all use the same third-party anti-piracy software in all of their games so that all pirates have to do to make ***** cracks is just find the one line of code that says if there is the correct cd in the drive or not. I think developers need to start putting more money in developing their own anti-piracy software.

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                  Well, this is the point. Why would they do that when they could just make games for consoles which is easier and more profitable?
                  I don't quite get the "no piracy on console" angle. I can easily find sites that offers to install chips on you Wii or 360 that allows you to play "backup" games

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki View Post
                    I don't quite get the "no piracy on console" angle. I can easily find sites that offers to install chips on you Wii or 360 that allows you to play "backup" games
                    Ah, but it's not as easy and the average person that buys an expensive console won't chip it.

Comment

Starforce... Oh how I hate starforce. I've heard of ways to crack it, and they are all complicated/time consuming, so it puts off the casual pirater.

However, it does make life difficult for legal owners - requires you to insert a disc every now and again, and I've heard that the program can damage cd drives.

Comment

If games shift towards the consoles then it wont be long until piracy on them hits the roof and piracy on the PC games goes down, creating the opposite effect again, much like the graph by Vreki said. Its swings and roundabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by #Kodak View Post
                          Starforce... Oh how I hate starforce. I've heard of ways to crack it, and they are all complicated/time consuming, so it puts off the casual pirater.

However, it does make life difficult for legal owners - requires you to insert a disc every now and again, and I've heard that the program can damage cd drives.
                          And, this is exactly my point. When you make something relatively uncrackable such as Starforce, rumours are started that it makes life hell for legal owners. People then continue the rumour even if it's not true simply because it's cool to hate.

Insert the disc every now and then? You have to do that with every multiplayer game unless you're using CD images and the program won't damage your DVD playing unless you try cracking it...

You hear some little kid who tries to break Starforce which includes a lot of work and ends up with a bricked DVD drive. He then complains that "Starforce did it", not his silly tampering. He complains on a forum and then everyone else gets the idea that Starforce ruins dvd drives and thus, the rumour spreads.

Comment

Well after this long talk what do you guys think, i mean whats the verdict here? is PC going to die or not?.

Comment

It'll reach an all time low and then rise again. Life runs in cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle101 View Post
                                Well after this long talk what do you guys think, i mean whats the verdict here? is PC going to die or not?.
                                I cant see such a huge market die. If the old companies stop making games for the PC, then others will take over.
                                Maybe it would be a good thing if the mega-companies loses interest in the PC market for a while, it could certainly do with some fresh blood.

And fever FPS games released will also make it easier for the mods to gain a foothold.

Comment

Working...
                                X