Fight from the Japanese perspective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight from the Japanese perspective?

This may seem a little controversial, but we all know war isn't black and white, goodies and badies. But, would you like, in single player, to play in the point of view of the Japanese?

One of the things i loved about the CoD4 series was that you really got dragged into the story line and felt emotion for those dying (E.g. where your team dies in the last level)

I think fighting from the perspective of the Japanese would really make a twist and add an extra grittiness to the story. The film "Letters from Iwo Jima" did this very well and i think, if done correctly, the same effect could be achieved through CoD:WW

What do you think?

Re: Fight from the Japanese perspective?

Originally posted by Alex98uk
    This may seem a little controversial, but we all know war isn't black and white, goodies and badies. But, would you like, in single player, to play in the point of view of the Japanese?

One of the things i loved about the CoD4 series was that you really got dragged into the story line and felt emotion for those dying (E.g. where your team dies in the last level)
    I think fighting from the perspective of the Japanese would really make a twist and add an extra grittiness to the story. The film "Letters from Iwo Jima" did this very well and i think, if done correctly, the same effect could be achieved through CoD:WW

What do you think?

Awww he has teh feelings ^_^

I preffer to play as the americans.. they look better and have :awesome weapons.. I don't REALLY care about story line that much, aslong as the gameplay and violence is good...

Comment

I think it should be added not only for the "two side view" but because it will make the SP longer

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

While I think it would be cool, I believe this game is way too far in to production for this to be added to this game. If you're just saying this in general, for a diff game, or for a mod, then yes.

The original CoD had a mod that allowed you to play from the German side, something many WWII fans have wanted. It wasn't really the same as what you picture though. That will probably need to be made from a studio, but yeah, I don't know if it will happen. But Eastwood's movie was 1 step in that direction.

Comment

Possible expansion pack maybeh, you could be Italians defending Cassino, Axis defending Foy/Ardennes and the Japanese in Midway/Wake/Guadacanal.

Comment

Hell yes please. Especially the Japanese are always shown like wild animals...

Comment

Originally posted by RKO
              Possible expansion pack maybeh, you could be Italians defending Cassino, Axis defending Foy/Ardennes and the Japanese in Midway/Wake/Guadacanal.
              Too bad none of them would win... The game where everyone dies in the end. :P

Comment

Originally posted by RKO
                That would be cool b/c you would have three different sides like other CoD games of the past.

Epic...ROFL!!! :laugh: Very true. But you did die in CoD4 during the nuke blast and I was like what...my character is dead? And I thought it was cool and more unique along with others. Knowing death is coming, that could be diff, but not every soldier died for the enemy, so you could still be alive at the end of the game. Or maybe you could change the fate of the war....:shock:

Comment

IMO, it's very unlikely we'll ever see a major developer create a WWII game where you play as Axis forces.

There's a lot of political backlash that would likely occur, since WWII pretty much was the last "good vs evil" conflict. I agree that every individual German or Japanese soldier wasn't a "bad guy", but the governments behind them had policies that could be called "evil". Veterans, or anyone who knew one or had lost a family member would be highly offended. Especially considering the huge sales numbers in North America and Europe (games are big in Germany, but most of them have no interest in digging up that ugly period of their history).

There's also the problem of the Axis actually losing the war. If you put them in a SP campaign, you'd eventually have to have them lose, no matter what you did as a player-character. This is kinda weak to build into a game, which would leave a lot of players unsatisfied. And you can't change the outcome and still create an authentic game.

It's just too complex and messy. Imagine a more recent conflict like Vietnam. Even though US forces could be considered "invaders" or "aggressors" by some, feelings run deep and wounds are still fresh over some of the brutality of that conflict...most Americans would likely be highly offended if you were able to play as a VC soldier, killing and butchering US G.I.'s. Regardless of the conflict, too many people read history later on and become desensitized to it; trying to get philosophical and rationalize "oh, they weren't that bad"...tell that to people who lived through it, or had relatives suffer because of it. Some things just need to be left alone.

You can put Axis sides in MP and battle over each map, but it doesn't fly so well in SP. For those who want to see what it may have been like, watch the movies "Letters from Iwo Jima" for the Japanese side, and "Stalingrad" and "Das Boot" for the German side.

Comment

Yes, killing some yanks would be awesome.

The first and last time I got emotional over a game was with SoF1 when that german dude blew Hawks brains all over the wall. But it was my first SP game which I really liked so that prolly played a part. Never cared for teammates, friends, etc in any other game from that point on so I don`t care if I have to shoot puppies and pregnant women, any change would be awesome. Plus, rushing enemies with a bayonet would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by L3adCannon
                      Yes, killing some yanks would be awesome.
                      Like gamers don't do that enough in games (multiplayer).

Comment

Originally posted by Epic //
                        Too bad none of them would win... The game where everyone dies in the end. :P
                        A good writer is not worried of such things. Death is not the only way to lose.

Neither is surrender, or capture.

Perhaps from a Japanese perspective - the ending could come during an epic struggle between the dwindling, and poorly equipped Japanese Militia forces against the invading Americans on the fringe-islands, ending with nothing more than a simple radio report about the Emperor's final decision after the second Atomic Bomb had been dropped.

Hows that for a twist, from Epic-to-Zero in 6 seconds.

Heck, the bonus mode could be your character by himself in this stage, fighting endless swarms of American soldiers all converging on your position.

Comment

Originally posted by youm0nt
                          Like gamers don't do that enough in games (multiplayer).
                          We're talking about singleplayer. The germans and the other axis forces troops had feelings and emotions as well. I think if someone would really do a great game with you playing the axis it would be a massive hit.

Edit: I've just read that you'll be able to play the Japanese in their own campaign in Battlestations Pacific, nice step.

Comment

How about also fighting as the filipinos against the japanese, that would sure make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayot1c
                              How about also fighting as the filipinos against the japanese, that would sure make me happy.
                              That would be a nice touch but if the developers did do this, then you'll most likely play as a Filipino guerilla fighting along side the Americans. Plus they'll need the voices and some research.

Comment

Working...
                              X