Why must shotguns suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why must shotguns suck?

Nobody ever uses shotguns, ever. I want to use shotguns so badly, but I just can't do it. The range on any shotgun is about 15ft max, and you have to be within about 10 ft to kill them in one hit. Shotguns should be able to shoot and kill at 30 yds. easily. You should be able to shoot across Showdown and still hurt someone. I know that they don't wanna overpower them for gameplay reasons....but how would that overpower it? Unless you made the range as much as a sniper rifle there's no way it would be overpowered. it's still slow as heck to shoot, and the semi auto shotgun only has 4 rounds. In a basic summary statement, You shouldn't have to switch to your pistol to kill someone because your primary is out of range, ever!

Re: Why must shotguns suck?

Dude, the shotguns are 1337. But I do agree on the fact that they should have more range. The pellets seem to disappear after a certain amount of distance.

I'm pretty sure this thread will just spark a debate that already happened. :P

Comment

go 24/7 shipment servers =P

Comment

there underpowered just like the .50 cal sniper rifle is.. deal with it i guess, Besides HEAPS of people use shotguns.. but like ANY firearm u have to use it on the appropriate map... You also have to learn to play with the shotgun i.e. know how to get behind the enemy stronghold and blow them away from close range, running into a firefight with a shotgun is only going to get u killed. In short adapt to ur weapon don't make it adapt to you.

Comment

I use shotguns quite a bit when the mood takes me.

I generally go W1200, Sleight of hand, and something like Extreme conditioning. I just never got the feel of the auto.

I agree with the range argument, but a shotty is pretty much one hit kill at short range, so increasing the range may open it to abuse.

For the record im playing the Ps3 version, so im sure that makes them easier to use.

Comment

Shotgun on Vacant rapes, i've been in many matches where one of my guys will grab a shotty, own the map completely.

Comment

First off, don't even touch shotguns in hardcore. There is no point.

Second off, they are fine. You have to understand the shotgun's boundaries and work with it. You know there is a limit in the range, so you have to go to spots that are closer quarters, such as houses or choke points. If you are running in the middle of the open trying to fire at a guy without even seeing the red cross hair come up, then you are using it wrong. But if you use it the way its suppose to be used, you will do great with it.

If you increase the range, your going to cry about it later as everyone starts to abuse it.

Comment

Extreme conditioning and shottie rules. Every now and again when i'm bored I'll bring out the shottie. In the right conditions you can absolutely clean up on a map. Nothing quite puts a smile on my face as popping out round a corner and BOOM BOOM:evil:. I like it that the range is less, because that means when you are on top, people know its all skills, not just p90 noobing.

Comment

Originally posted by xX5N1P3RXx View Post
                  there underpowered just like the .50 cal sniper rifle is.. deal with it i guess, Besides HEAPS of people use shotguns.. but like ANY firearm u have to use it on the appropriate map... You also have to learn to play with the shotgun i.e. know how to get behind the enemy stronghold and blow them away from close range, running into a firefight with a shotgun is only going to get u killed. In short adapt to ur weapon don't make it adapt to you.
                  I agree about the .50 Cal!

It should be like a gun you can only walk with, only shoot laying down or crouching and it shouldn't be a semi-auto. What it should be is a 1 shot kill no matter where you hit a person. I've seen those things fire, if you get hit by it, you're done. Not no 3 bullets or whatever.

This is where a game being "Arcade" begins to fail.

Shotguns are leet though, close quarters just like they are good at, but a little more range would be good.

Comment

The weapons may be underpowered, but they are balanced. If you know how to use a shotgun, then you can dominate with it (look at Sogek1ng, for example). If you don't, then you'll come to a CoD4 forum and post this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d View Post
                      The weapons may be underpowered, but they are balanced. If you know how to use a shotgun, then you can dominate with it (look at Sogek1ng, for example). If you don't, then you'll come to a CoD4 forum and post this.
                      /true

Shotty is amazing. :P

Comment

I've seen people do good on vacant with it.

Comment

The shotties are great, but their range is silly. You should at least be able to damage guys more than 10 meters away.

You shouldn't have to switch to your pistol to kill someone because your primary is out of range, ever!
                          I can agree to that infact. The pistol should be better at range than the pistol imo (at least up to 50 m). BUT, the maps are very small so I don't know if it would make the game less balanced. In BF2142 and BF2 the shotties had great range but the maps very also much bigger.

The W1200 pwns imo, gives me good memories of 2142's Clark.

Just remembered it, shotties were very powerful in CoD2 and everyone was whoring them to death (that's what I've heard). They probably wanted to give them a little bit more limited use in CoD4.

Comment

Wrong, Overkill M4 & AK47 GLed combo rapes vacant.

4 gls on that map plus 1 nade per life = helicopters non stop.

Comment

yeah i seen people do amazing on vacant with the shottie i even got 2 helicopters 4 air strikes and like 10 UAV's only using the shottie and i do agree with what your saying about the range and its true that people whored the shottie in cod2

Comment

Working...
                              X