X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warning: Avoid K3 mod and any Kill3r mods

Originally posted by Spik3d View Post
    I never said accept it. I basically said to let it blow over. I'm sure he's going to need to make a new username/alias, get a new email, buy a new copy of the game (banned by PBbans IIRC), and pay for a new website if he already has one. Possibly move to a new city since people apparently know where he lives and after all the threats that he has received.
    If he explains exactly what he was doing and that it wasn't meant to harm and he had people backing him up, I don't think death threats would be too much of an issue. It's kind of like how gametrailers made a mistake on the GRID 360/PS3 comparison and everyone called them a fraud. Now that they've explained exactly what happened and how it wasn't meant to be malacious, everyone's forgotten about it

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
      If he explains exactly what he was doing and that it wasn't meant to harm and he had people backing him up, I don't think death threats would be too much of an issue. It's kind of like how gametrailers made a mistake on the GRID 360/PS3 comparison and everyone called them a fraud. Now that they've explained exactly what happened and how it wasn't meant to be malacious, everyone's forgotten about it
      He didn't really say why he had the rcon code in there, but here's the reason for the aim bot.

Originally posted by KiLL3R
      read the commented part

the aimbot was used for the bots to aim at me while testing...

oh.. and who gave you permission to extract (or w/e you call it) my scripts?
      Originally posted by KiLL3R
      // dont worry... im not a jurk with rcon, i probebly wont even bother to login

Comment

well isn't an aimbot designed for you to aim at them? not the other way around...

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
          I can see why somebody would want the RCON passwords, and I'm not talking about stealing a server, there are reasons (dvars, settings, etc. if something goes wrong he can check to possible fix it in a future release).
          Sorry, not buying that at all. Funny how Kill3r became indignant that someone would decompile/extract his scripts to check for this crap, yet he feels it's ok to uncover RCON passwords without permission.

Others have gone back through his older stuff, including COD:UO mods, and also found the code stealing capabilities.

Someone who has put out as much stuff as he has, and has as much talent, doesn't "forget" to remove aimbots and RCON capabilities.

Physical harm/threats should never be condoned except in self-defense, but aside from that, he deserves whatever grief he gets from this.

Comment

I looked at the infected list on the first page, but I'm still not sure.

These are my mods. Do I need to get rid of any of them? If so, which?

Comment

That violates the coder/end-user trust, and these people give all of us who program things a bad name. If he wants to check people's CVARs, he can request that server admins give him access to it; I'm sure if he asked, people would be happy to call themselves an official test server for the mod - it's all about how you phrase it. And quite honestly, if he wasn't expecting people to look at his code, well, shame on him. Further, what's to prevent him from coding something which could compromise an entire server (the physical box)? I'd certainly be concerned, and I'll have a discussion about removing these mods from our distribution network. We will not condone this type of activity in any form.

The aimbot I can see as being useful in some regard. I'd have to look at the code to see how it's implemented, but I don't see why people are giving him such grief over the issue.

And shame on the people who made those death threats; completely unnecessary.

Update: The files have been removed from TGF, and I highly advise all server administrators to remove the affected files from their servers until a secure and peer reviewed version of the files is released.

Comment

Save the drama for the mama.......another internet dumb dumb exposed!

Comment

For those who do actually like the mod itself, there are some folks out there who are currently working on trimming out the offending code and re-releasing the mod...probably with a more open source approach so whomever wants to can check it out and feel safe about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
                    For those who do actually like the mod itself, there are some folks out there who are currently working on trimming out the offending code and re-releasing the mod...probably with a more open source approach so whomever wants to can check it out and feel safe about it.
                    That's Intellectual Property theft and a violation of Kill3r's rights as the code author, as slimy as this stuff is. Be very careful if you decide to rework these mods, as you put youself at risk for a civil lawsuit.

Comment

I haven't read the fine print, but I think there is some doubt to that. Because maps/mods are created using the tools/engine of COD4, they may actually be ultimate property of IW/Activision (like the custom maps). And because no profit is involved, any sort of lawsuit would likely be futile, as there probably aren't any sort of damages to award or incur. The worst that could happen would probably be to force someone to remove the reworked version from their website.

Comment

Quite; I'm going to close this thread and redirect comments to the news thread.

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                        X