People WANT bad commanders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People WANT bad commanders.

I look at it this way, I do my best, play by the server rules , have fun, some one is always going to hate something you do.

Comment

I think its time you gave TF2 a try.

I find I can't play BF2142 without also playing TF2 (although I play TF2 by itselft).

Its quite the relaxing game. No point-whores. Just fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jake___
        TF2
        You mean Let's All Spawn Engineer And Defend Forever?

No thanks. I got tired of being the only person on offense.

Comment

That is why I just play for fun and don't expect anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane View Post
            Instead of thanking him for dropping an orb-strike on an enemy APC, they instead rush in with demopacks in hand to score a point and then punish the commander for the teamkill.
            FYI, you can't punish for Orbital Strike TKs. The commander does NOT lose points for team damage and does not get accounted for TKs because of Orbitals...

On topic... I think you people know about my stances on the general 2142 player base If my team has a commander, I won't mutiny him (unless he is AFK or doing a horrible job), however I won't trust him to do his job either.

A simple fact about Votes in 2142; they NEVER work. The only time I have seen kick votes actually have effect is on Knife only servers :dead: I have seen a demotion from commander ~3 times, regardless of how good/bad a job he was doing.

What I think "people" want in a commander is someone who silently goes about utilizing his assets... People do NOT want you to spot things out using the SAT Track ("Shut up, we know there are infantry infiltrating our bases!") and they DON'T want you issuing orders (I can issue my own orders, thank you very much). People DO want supplies/UAVs/Orbitals on enemies though...

IMO, commanding is the worst of all worlds. Your team expects you to "do your job", but doesn't want you to "do your job" at the same time... Its torture, but I will suffer through it for one of two (or both) reasons:
            1: For the win!
            2: 4 t3h Ribbinz.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin
              FYI, you can't punish for Orbital Strike TKs. The commander does NOT lose points for team damage and does not get accounted for TKs because of Orbitals...

On topic... I think you people know about my stances on the general 2142 player base If my team has a commander, I won't mutiny him (unless he is AFK or doing a horrible job), however I won't trust him to do his job either.

A simple fact about Votes in 2142; they NEVER work. The only time I have seen kick votes actually have effect is on Knife only servers :dead: I have seen a demotion from commander ~3 times, regardless of how good/bad a job he was doing.

What I think "people" want in a commander is someone who silently goes about utilizing his assets... People do NOT want you to spot things out using the SAT Track ("Shut up, we know there are infantry infiltrating our bases!") and they DON'T want you issuing orders (I can issue my own orders, thank you very much). People DO want supplies/UAVs/Orbitals on enemies though...

IMO, commanding is the worst of all worlds. Your team expects you to "do your job", but doesn't want you to "do your job" at the same time... Its torture, but I will suffer through it for one of two (or both) reasons:
              1: For the win!
              2: 4 t3h Ribbinz.

Like I said earlier, no matter what you do , you will piss some one off.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane View Post
                Order are proof to me that the SL actually knows how to do his job properly and realizes he's got people to direct to a certain point.
                Perhaps I didn't word that very well Don't get me wrong - when playing with clan members in a squad, I always make well thought out decisions for the good of the team. I still prefer to do this in teamspeak however, as we're a competitive clan and try to mimick match environments as much as we can.

I still don't find the orders system to be particularly useful on maps such as CG, as it's a linear map, and any experienced player should be able, with a small degree of intelligence, to work out where the SL is going. I'll happily spam 'follow me' through the commo rose until people get the picture, and it generally works a treat.

I appreciate what you say about an SL giving orders suggesting good things about his leading ability, though when squad leading i'm generally playing with people I know, thus am talking to, and rendering the order system obsolete. There's no substitute for verbal communication!

Anyhow, to get back to topic: I entirely agree with fingulfin about votes never having any effect - you'll not get demoted from commander if there are any more than 5 people on your team, and decent players rarely initiate votes anyway.

Comment

:blabla:

Comment

The Commander usually gives up a lot. ESPECIALLY if they are forced to combat command for a bad team that didn't want to jump in the Commander's seat.

And, when I mutiny vote. It's usually against someone who is combat commanding while at the same time not deploying valuable resources. It's really easy to combat command. The refresh times on your assets take so long and you'll often be in situations where people aren't trying to sneak around. Usually, you will need to combat command eventually because when people DO start sneaking around, it's usually very difficult to convince people to spawn in the rear, sacrifice points, so that the team wins.

I always make sure to tell people THANK YOU, and WHY I am thanking them. "Because you prevented enemies from backdooring us. You're preserving our defense line. You guys rock. Thank you."

But on the other hand, I'm mean enough to call people (Check server rules for swearing rules) "Explitive"ing Scrubs, get in squads you mother-"Explitiveing" Scrubs. Why aren't you "explitive"-ers reviving eachother.

So I'm combat commanding and rezzing people left and right just to keep our ticket count competitive while at the same time dropping artillery between the people just to keep people out of combat.

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Most likely because a fighting commander can't keep an eye on his troops. It's virtually impossible for a commander to command and fight at the same time. There is no way in hell the CO can join the frontlines under normal pub conditions. If you're with a bunch of miked and very competent people - or in a clan scrim, you can afford to do that, but most teams require you to play nanny on them so that they don't run headfirst into an ambush the size of Russia. The most the CO should do is get into a Titan gun to flak a silo under attack, or sit near the rearmost flag to guard it and buy his team some time while reinforcements arrive. There's a whole lot of things you can do, command-wise, while your assets are recharging. Like spot-checks. Almost nobody spot-checks. If I arrive near a flag, and the UAV is active elsewhere, I'd like to know if the point is clear, thank you very much. The only time a commander should get on the ground and start running all over the place is near the end of a neck-to-neck Titan match where one silo cap may end the game.

There's also a bunch of servers that forbid fighting commanders and don't want to see him get out of his base at all. Basically, they're saying "You're all too stupid to know when to command and when to fight, so we've had to make a law for you." Honestly, they're in their full right to do that. Those who don't have such a rule get gunship commanders 24/7. When someone doesn't do his job, I've taken a habit of calling mutiny on him as often as I can until it's either successful or he gets fed up and leaves.

Comment

I fight when I command, but never on the front lines (unless its Titan). On titan mode, I normally find a central location (but one thats not close to any flag) and use the SAAW while my assets are recharging. On conquest, I normally try to steal an enemy vehicle (such as a valuable FAV on Gibraltar) and then bring it to a rear base and defend the base using said vehicle.

Your troops DON'T need babysitting, they need assets deployed. Even if you try to babysit them, all it will do is piss them off... A clan scrim is when it is acceptable to try and direct your squads, because your troops will listen to you.

Comment

yeah clan matches you get so much spot checking its annoying

Comment

Working...
                                X