Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have good tips for gunship pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have good tips for gunship pilots?

I want to get good at it as there are some really great pilots, and I envy them.:salute::salute:

Re: Anyone have good tips for gunship pilots?

Aww, shucks... J/K

What do you want to know? I have personally trained (on an empty server) around 5 people, all of them decent or great pilots now... But if you just want tips you have to be specific. Maneuverability tips? TV Solo'ing? Target Leading? Advanced Maneuvers? Ask and I will answer to the best of my ability

Comment

Big thing is to practice, I used to be terrible, just jump in a gunship, try new things again and again, you will eventually become one of the great pilots out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoster
        Big thing is to practice, I used to be terrible, just jump in a gunship, try new things again and again, you will eventually become one of the great pilots out there.
        I guess it is sorta stupid to ask huh, as I can fly a real helicopter, but I suck at the gunship. I can fly it pretty well, but hitting targets is another story.:shakehead:

Comment

Come hang out on -TBG- servers, I'm sure we'll show you a trick or two.

Comment

TBG guys don't show you tricks, they FEED you tricks...

Comment

Gunships are for Wussy's! Get on the ground like a man! and Master the T39 like I DO!

Comment

lol- we should host a non-ranked server for learning how to fly.....
                fingulfin can teach

Comment

most important tip is to use all your camera views and mouse look in the cockpit

knowledge is power

Comment

I would also like some anti-Talon knowledge. I usually fly high and come down on them, but they always put actives up. If they run I can get em easy, but when they stay I just pull up right above them and try another go. I usually get smoked if there's a descent pilot on the server. Otherwise it's kinda cheap since I don't learn anything new if the guy sucks or is skilled...a bit.

Fingulfin do you have any tips for me ?

Comment

fin seems to be the uber pro with gunships. i need some training with them to as i love flying. but trees and walls love me to...

Comment

There are plenty of people here who are just as good as me... Ghiblian to be precise.

I don't have any specific "anti-Talon" tricks, other than PRACTICE. The reason the Doragon sucks so much is A)Talons have a HORRIBLE heat signature so your missiles don't track and B)Doragon Shields FAIL. So what do you do about that? First off, you have to learn how to get the missiles to hit. With the Talon, you just aim a bit ahead of your target and let er rip however the same is NOT true of the Dora. In the Dora, you mostly need to be straight behind them (which means you need to get the jump on the enemy). A good thing to learn how to do is to NOT depend on your shields. If you are in a pro gunship fight, the winner is usually the person with the best shield management.

To conserve shields, you need situational awareness (and some practice dodging rockets). Like Chris said, always be using your alternate cameras, and I mean ALWAYS. If you know what direction your enemy is coming from, you should be able dodge his rockets. If your enemy is heading straight at you at high speed, do NOT drain your shields. Chances are, he will shoot right over/under you... If he shoots at you from straight on, it doesn't matter what you do because he is about to ram you.

The easiest way to dodge enemy missiles is by spinning. No, I do NOT mean hover and go around in circles... I mean spin around in circles, sort of like a top. In other words:

(sorry bout the MS Paint, I use it for graphic illustrations as far as in-game tactics go)

Don't spin in place, spin around what I believe is called your "Zone of Control". If you can, make the enemy gunship your "Zone of Control" if he gets the jump on you... If you are spinning around him, he can't get his shots off at you. This doesn't give you the opportunity to shoot at him though; it simply gives you the opportunity to get out of an un-favorable situation (IE he is behind you).

Remember, the goal is to drain the enemies shields while keeping your own charged and ready for when you truly need them. If you are forced to drain your shields early, its best to flee (for as long as they take to recharge) before you directly confront a good enemy pilot who has the better gunship.

-Fin

Comment

If you flee to recover shields against a pilot worth his salt you'll be dead before you get them back. It'll work on bad pilots who can't place shots correctly on an upside down ship or those who lose sight of you on a simple maneuver, but I guarantee you'll get your *** kicked repeatedly against top flight pilots doing that.

Reading advice in forums is far from the best way to learn how to fly, get on a server with good pilots and get your *** handed to you for as long as it takes until you can give it back to them lol. I recommend you come to -TBG- servers, the list of top pilots frequenting them is quite long.

Comment

Originally posted by CTFalcon View Post
                            If you flee to recover shields against a pilot worth his salt you'll be dead before you get them back. It'll work on bad pilots who can't place shots correctly on an upside down ship or those who lose sight of you on a simple maneuver, but I guarantee you'll get your *** kicked repeatedly against top flight pilots doing that.

Reading advice in forums is far from the best way to learn how to fly, get on a server with good pilots and get your *** handed to you for as long as it takes until you can give it back to them lol. I recommend you come to -TBG- servers, the list of top pilots frequenting them is quite long.
                            Enough with the server advertising, we all know you like TBG...

Fleeing to recover shields is how the game works mate. If you fly fast enough and maneuver properly, it will save your skin. Don't say I fly against noob pilots either, I regularly play on TBG and have shot down most of the top gunshippers including FAST, Predator, DeathDealer, Soulzz and the late w8lifting. Besides, no advice can teach you how to play against the pros... Only practice (and LOTS of it) will do that. Starting from scratch and jumping right into a server full of gunship whores is NOT the best way to learn, in fact I would rate it as the WORST way. You will get discouraged very quickly, and in addition you won't learn anything because you get shot down so quickly. The best way to learn is to make friends who are good and have them teach you... I learned by flying with (and watching) the former #2 (Holla4adolla) in addition to ALOT of practice on my own in local match.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and if reading a post on a forum to get an idea of what to try is how you want to start, then fine. If you enjoy repeatedly getting killed immediately after takeoff, thats fine too...

Comment

I know you take a lot of pride in your abilities, but come on, are you really talking from a position of strength? Put your money where your mouth is, join the gunship ladder TBG put up.

Comment

Working...
                              X