Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: noob question...

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX View Post
    It probably goes down to what one is used to. It would be interesting to know the percentage of the worlds population as in how many are using imperial and how many are using the metric system. Things like this should actually be the same everywhere around the world. And there's no difficulty in re-naming the screw to maybe something like 6mm instead of 6M or whatever that M means.
    It's pretty much mixed. In Germany they produce most of machinery tools in metric, but in Asia, Japanese, Koreans and Chinese are making both metric and imperial tools. It is a globalized world, so the need for tools of different spec is beyond national boundaries.

Comment

Metric doesn't use fractions. I like that... cuz I'm a lazy American.

Comment

Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
        Metric doesn't use fractions. I like that... cuz I'm a lazy American.
        I remember 20-25 years ago in school when they were teaching us the metric system because the US was going to be changing over to it. Still waiting.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Skates View Post
          I remember 20-25 years ago in school when they were teaching us the metric system because the US was going to be changing over to it. Still waiting.:laugh:
          Oh yeah. And I remember our math teacher bombarding us with two questions simultaneously......
          Add .9 .3 and 1.6.
          Then...
          Add 1/8 5/16 and 3/4.
          Guess which question got answered quicker and more correctly than the other.....

Comment

Oddly enough, I could equate the fractions much faster than the decimals :S

Comment

Originally posted by [WS] vika09 View Post
              Oddly enough, I could equate the fractions much faster than the decimals :S
              Seriously? If so I applaud you. Maybe the Imperial system still has life in it.

Comment

Yeah. I automatically made the denominator 16 and then just added the tops.

Its probably because the denominator part was obvious, give me more complex fractions and I can't do ****.

Comment

Working...
                X