noob question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question...

whats dpi? i saw it somewhere but i forgot...

it has to due with ingame stuff....

Re: noob question...

ya its very noob question considering power of internet -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

Comment

I never saw DPI mentioned for games. I saw it being mentioned for printers as in 600dpi being quite a high resolution. For games, I always see pixels. 1280 x 1024 pixels etc. And inch should die anyway.

Comment

I do agree that the imperial system for measurement is dumb (and I'm American xD), but for some reason that escapes me, the CG world uses DPI.

Comment

mouse is for gaming, isnt it? and mouse resolution also is in DPI

Comment

Yep... You measure mouse "speed" in DPI. My G5 has a maximum (native) "speed" of 2000 DPI. My resolution is 1480x1024, so at 2000 DPI my mouse would fly from the bottom of my screen to the top with only half an inch of movement. DPI can also be written as PPI (Pixels Per Inch).

Comment

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX View Post
              I never saw DPI mentioned for games. I saw it being mentioned for printers as in 600dpi being quite a high resolution. For games, I always see pixels. 1280 x 1024 pixels etc. And inch should die anyway.
              Quite on the contrary. Metric is pure evil. The more you use imperial system plus US industrial standard, the more you'll like it. Take screws for example: what the heck is an M6 screw? But 1/4-20 is clear: 1/4 in diameter and 20 turns an inch! And I hate metric screws when I am assembling a computer.

DPI may refer to printer resolution or mouse resolution. If written in metric, it would be something like dots/mm.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode View Post
                what the heck is an M6 screw?
                Come on man, that's easy! It's similar to an A6 size sheet of paper. :hmm:

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode View Post
                  Quite on the contrary. Metric is pure evil. The more you use imperial system plus US industrial standard, the more you'll like it. Take screws for example: what the heck is an M6 screw? But 1/4-20 is clear: 1/4 in diameter and 20 turns an inch! And I hate metric screws when I am assembling a computer.

DPI may refer to printer resolution or mouse resolution. If written in metric, it would be something like dots/mm.
                  Problem as far as I can see it is, that there's only a few countries left using inches and miles. Which is also based on feet. While the metric system is universal, you can go down to pikometers and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Fingulfin View Post
                    so at 2000 DPI my mouse would fly from the bottom of my screen to the top with only half an inch of movement.
                    Don't take it the wrong way, but to me that sounds like an uncontrollable mouse. To me that means the difference of looking at my own feet to looking at the sky above. In a half inch.
                    Maybe you're just using that as a reference, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by XxSTAM1NAxX
                      Problem as far as I can see it is, that there's only a few countries left using inches and miles. Which is also based on feet. While the metric system is universal, you can go down to pikometers and stuff...
                      PS....what he's talking about isn't the system itself, but its designation. As in otherwords, 1/4-20 tells you everything about the screw. What does M6 tell you?

Comment

Both don't tell me anything. I can't read imperial stuff as much as I can't read what M6 stands for.

Comment

Sorry...but then that's your own issue. It has nothing to do with the Imperial/Metric system.
                          I honestly find metrics better in measurement.
                          But US system is better in designating actual measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by DesmondLocke View Post
                            Don't take it the wrong way, but to me that sounds like an uncontrollable mouse. To me that means the difference of looking at my own feet to looking at the sky above. In a half inch.
                            Maybe you're just using that as a reference, I don't know.
                            That is where DPI changing technology comes in. I know that Logitech Mice only have DPI switchers, but Razer mice have DPI AND Sensitivity switchers, meaning I can set the DPI to 2000, but still have to move the mouse across the pad to look 360 degrees around.

Comment

Originally posted by DesmondLocke View Post
                              Sorry...but then that's your own issue. It has nothing to do with the Imperial/Metric system.
                              I honestly find metrics better in measurement.
                              But US system is better in designating actual measurements.
                              It probably goes down to what one is used to. It would be interesting to know the percentage of the worlds population as in how many are using imperial and how many are using the metric system. Things like this should actually be the same everywhere around the world. And there's no difficulty in re-naming the screw to maybe something like 6mm instead of 6M or whatever that M means.

Comment

Working...
                              X