Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLC Map pack logistics for PC.. think I've figured it out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DLC Map pack logistics for PC.. think I've figured it out.

Originally posted by ch3ch3n View Post
    f IW greedy basterds they could have giving this maps for free for such good support!!
    I would also like to add that they havent decided to charge anyone anything yet.

As we say in the US, "Hold your horses."

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
      I would also like to add that they havent decided to charge anyone anything yet.

As we say in the US, "Hold your horses."

Crunch
      they charged the console gamers

Comment

Originally posted by ch3ch3n View Post
        they charged the console gamers
        That wasn't their decision, it was Microsoft/Sony's.

Comment

I bet its free for PC. Quote me on it when they release it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyelite View Post
            I bet its free for PC. Quote me on it when they release it.
            And quote me for quoting him on it.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(=BlackMage View Post
              That wasn't their decision, it was Microsoft/Sony's.
              Yeah, that's what I heard, too.

Besides, isn't there a custom map contest going on? And whichever map(s) win that, will be released "officially" for ranked servers? I don't see how we'd pay for IW made maps, and not "official" custom maps. I may be wrong about the contest, but that's what I read somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis
                Besides, isn't there a custom map contest going on? And whichever map(s) win that, will be released "officially" for ranked servers?
                It's not 100% official, but the way IW worded the contest details, it sounds like that is indeed their plan, that the best customs will probably be turned into official ranked maps a few months down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                  It's not 100% official, but the way IW worded the contest details, it sounds like that is indeed their plan, that the best customs will probably be turned into official ranked maps a few months down the line.
                  Yes, if this does occur, expect such maps not to become official till Patch 1.7. I know a lot of people on various forums are shouting for Patch 1.6 to get "New Maps" but that isn't the case. The Patch is already in internal testing far before the map test ended so no new maps will be released in 1.6

We will have to wait and here more word from InfinityWard. It truly is sad though how things play out when it is multi-consoled in my opinion. Because consoles need to pay for something due to Microsoft/Sony, it causes "Logistics" to state that if the PC wants the same stuff, they should/would need to pay. It kinda bites us in the arse if you think about it.

Do I think we will be seeing these maps for free? Absolutely not. I think the DLC Maps will actually get lost in the cycle over the months, InfinityWard will probably release custom maps as official maps, and then we may see an expansion pack down the line with the DLC Maps apart of it.

^^ Thats what I think, but not what I hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralPatton
                    Do I think we will be seeing these maps for free? Absolutely not. I think the DLC Maps will actually get lost in the cycle over the months, InfinityWard will probably release custom maps as official maps, and then we may see an expansion pack down the line with the DLC Maps apart of it.

Thats what I think will happen, but I'm betting against it because I'm optimistic!

Comment

I don't think there will be an expansion pack. They would have announced it by now, and they wouldn't want it coming out too close to CoD5. CoD5 is probably coming sooner than you think. Even if it's a WW2 console-only pile of ****, Activision wants another full priced game with the words "Call of Duty" in the title out there as soon as possible. Besides, it's not unprecedented to release maps on PC for free, we got 3 or 4 with BF2 (although they were spread out over 2 years.)

My prediction: We'll get the maps for free, but we'll end up "paying" for them with time - don't expect them until June or July.

Comment

Eh, Call of Duty 4 is very new. An expansion pack can definitely come, and a lot of COD4 players may not be buying COD5 due to the change of game developer and change of gameplay/setting.

Comment

Sigh. More words of wisdom... :dead:

I still think that the PC will get the new maps for free. I agree with Rob848 that we probably will not see them until around July. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Because of the way CoD4 easily handles custom content, it would make little sense to try and sell maps to us. Also, the history of "purchased gaming content" which does not make all content available to the entire community is not very good. Most communities become somewhat "split" by the have and have-nots.

Consoles do not suffer from this as content distribution is done differently.

Comment

Well I think we will have the same thing the console has, when they come out they will cost money, but after x amount of months they become free.

Comment

Nah, that's what rips communities apart - charging some people at the start than releasing it for free later. I agree with Keyelite that it will be free, however expect a good deal of time before we see them.

The waiting period for the PC will make up for the cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X