Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLC Map pack logistics for PC.. think I've figured it out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLC Map pack logistics for PC.. think I've figured it out.

LOL OWNED

Re: DLC Map pack logistics for PC.. think I've figured it out.

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
            I can see how, because of this, we wont be getting them at all.
            Keep in mind though that 402's comment here ( Clicky ) pretty much says that PC is getting the new maps as well.

In-game ads may well be a possibility...unless they've found a way to encrypt the new maps in such a way that a specific password to install the maps will be given to you once you enter your CD key, and will only work with your key.

My guess is that the maps will be free, but will be delayed so that Consoles can feel "exclusive". By the time we get them on PC, Console folks won't care if we get them for free.

Hopefully we'll know more about it later this week.

Comment

I'm not paying for maps in CoD4 I bought the map packs for BF2 but they just weren't worth it. Hardly anybody played them and the servers just went dead after a couple of months. I think it will be even harder for them to get us to pay for maps when CoD4 is much more custom map and mod friendly, I see new (free) maps all the time and thoroughly enjoy playing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaming Freak View Post
                I'm not paying for maps in CoD4 I bought the map packs for BF2 but they just weren't worth it. Hardly anybody played them and the servers just went dead after a couple of months. I think it will be even harder for them to get us to pay for maps when CoD4 is much more custom map and mod friendly, I see new (free) maps all the time and thoroughly enjoy playing them.
                The problem with the maps in BF2 as well as 2142 was that ranked servers would not carry them. When a server flipped to one of those maps, it would kill the server. The servers that were the expansion packs only, did really well.

As easy as IW made CoD4 able for people to have ranked servers, I dont know if it would really be a problem. I am very confident that our clan would put up a special maps server if they were seperated like Battlefield, just because of how easy it is.

Crunch
                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

That's the one thing I do worry about with map packs/expansions - how it divides the community. Not much you can do about expansions, since they often contain so much content (SP and MP) that you need to charge for it on put it on disc, but it's a shame if map packs create 2 tiers of players.

What I'd like to see them do for future, is charge a higher base price for the game (ie. $59.99 instead of $49.99), but also plan to release content down the road (ie. 6-10 maps, 4-6 months down the line). That way they get the cash needed for their development costs, but don't have to worry about charging for maps later. While users might squawk a bit at the higher price initially, I think they'd welcome the content down the road.

Comment

I would really like for the devs to come up with a way to support their games by adding additional content at regular intervals. I understand that there can be significant costs involved and Booster/Expansion Packs do tend to do more harm to a community than help in the long run.

I love some of the BF2 expansion pack maps, but they are very very hard to find on a server. If DICE EA released new maps for any Battlefield game, I'd be playing them.

I think that the devs should release mod tools, call for user maps to be created, pick the top maps to make official, and then release those maps to the public for free. We all win.

Comment

Well, speaking of "dividing" the players, I'm not too sure this will.

If it costs money for the maps, I predict that those who play will it enjoy it for a month or so, but it won't really catch on - similar to AF/EF for BF2. The CoD4 map pack isn't a true expansion pack, only a collection maps, so I don't foresee the leagues and competitions incorporating the maps. It will most likely become a novelty, and most servers would probably remove them from the rotation as players without the map will be dropped when the new maps load.

I believe that it would be in IW's best interest to incorporate ingame advertising. As a player, I would hardly notice it (I sure didn't in BF2142) - it could be in the form of posters (on the walls), or while loading - which I wouldn't mind in all honesty. It would probably bring them in more money than if they had us pay for the maps on the PC.

With the amount of free maps available for the PC that require no effort to download other than join a server running it, paying for the maps just doesn't seem realistic.

Comment

It's quite simple. Either they release the maps for free, or no one will play them. Compare Armored Fury and Euro Forces to Road to Jalalabad and you will understand.

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

LOL OWNED

Comment

Working...
                              X