No announcement yet.

fire rate poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play ArmA alot and I appreciate the the different firing modes that I am allowed. As flawed as many perceive the engine to be, I think it's excellent. With a good group of friends with Teamspeak Comms, can run a co-op mission in Arma over an hour or so... I can pick my firing mode based on the situation... Whether a single shot or burst is more appropriate.

As much as I like the feature, I figure I'll be trying to figure out which firing mode is best for me right about the same time as a I get buggered by a member of the opposition.

For COD4, I think firing modes are just an extra complexity layer that we don't need. Works nicely in Arma, not in fast and frantic CQB with COD4.

Just my 2c.

Peace out.

Comment

excellent response keyelite, and without stooping to my level cheers :P i understand your concerns, i just differ on whats really important to me. if a game is released and there is an obvious flaw, like how the black hawk was an immortal death machine with the right crew; id much prefer relearning how to properly use the vehicle tactically then have them leave it as is, but once again, this is where we differ. i was thrilled with that one patch that made anti-air missiles actually hit there target rather than differ because at least that gave the team a fair shake of the stick. then the very next patch they took it out because they were flying in circles around the oil towers and the game play was just shaping up too well. this is a perfect point and counterpoint for both of us. patching big changes can definitely bring problems, but if the games in a mess in the first place...

not having a fire rate button is a minor flaw as far as the ranked persistence system goes. but you are absolutely right, it is a preference not a flaw to be exploited. that being said, i honestly cant see how setting automatic guns to semi automatic, could mess up game balance. giving the player the opportunity to lay down aimed consecutive shots, i just do not see how that could throw off game balance.

vasquez, it wouldn't be an extra complexity layer because you wouldn't ever have to use it. Many many players do fine without using lean, does it have its place, absolutely. Same could be said for a fire rate selector. As long as its codded so that picked up enemy weapons are reverted to the default automatic mode, you wouldn't even notice it. except that it would be much easier for some players to lay down aimed consecutive shots, and to me, thats a good thing.

Comment

I have to admit, being able to use a single-shot mode on the M16 would be nice.

It's a bit of a pity they didn't have 2 fire-modes for each weapon (that had them in the "real world") and allowed even ranked servers an easy way to enable/disable them to suit gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Smith View Post
          from listening to keyelite i think i figured out why people are so aprehensive about this. they want to pickup a weapon and immediately know its automacy. what if they did it so the fire mode setting always reverts to default when dropped. how bout that?
          How about this. You stop complaining about the lack of features which you can substitite by tapping the mouse key, and IW can go forth and focus on patching in new maps and weapons. mmkay?

I can see an obvious trend here, too.

COD4 is not BF2, engagement ranges and weapon accuracies will not give you enough time to fumble around with the selector switches. Giving AK a semi auto option will bump G3 out of the picture. Giving G3 full auto status will make it the best weapon in the game. Giving M16 semi auto option will render G3 useless. Giving M4A1 single shot mode will serve no purpose.

COD4, in case you didnt notice, is a heavily action orientd game, where everything is happening and changing on the fly. Now, youve probably only played HC mode where this is less likely to come up, but have a round of SC in a 30 player map with a KD potential of above 3:1 and youll realise that weapons in COD4 arent really that important, they are all merely tools to kill, hence ditching them and aqcuiring new ones, is a process that is fully automated. Figuring out engagement ranges and playing around with weapon strenghts and weaknesses and fumbling around with selector switches is just that- less than useful and less than practical in this game.

Bottomline is, you dont NEED a selector switch in COD4 where every last weapon is put through a vigorous balancing process. Its sad that my BF2 reference was left completely unnoticed.

Comment

i will say that a m16 does need a single shot mode. As it is the only weapon that u cant fire 1 shot at a time. It gets very annoying if you're low on ammo. 10 bursts and one clip is gone.

Comment

then use bandolier

Comment

you guys are talking a lot about balance so i would like you to consider this. the game is unbalanced between low and high caliber weapons as things stand. low caliber weapons can accomplish sustained fire at a target without being thrown off by recoil. high caliber weapons must fire in bursts or fire single shots which is much harder then holding down the trigger. a semi automatic button would make it much easier for high caliber weapons to compete with low caliber weapons at any sort of range.

when picking up a weapon or when spawning, the fire mode should always reset to default. semi automatic should only engage when the player wants.

Originally posted by Keyelite
                then use bandolier
                what if the player in question does not have a bandolier

i am much much much more effective with the m14 and the g3 than any other assault rifles, at any range. while i can just fire single shots with other weapons, it takes quick clicks that are much harder to pull off consecutively for me than a standard click. you don't get those guns when you start out.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Smith View Post
                  what if the player in question does not have a bandolier
                  Then he must adapt, pick up weapons or extra ammo on the ground if he is running low. After all, m4 and m16 ammo is universal. If m4 is the most commonly used weapon in cod4, that player will have no problem finding ammo.

Comment

i still do not understand the opposition to this suggestion. the only way it would effect you, is that it would be much easier for high caliber weapons to land accurate shots.

Comment

It just goes against the game style really--
                      the CS series and the COD series have never had a single/auto fire switch

You also have to see the unforeseen consequences of such an addition. Which guns would you consider it for?

Comment

neither series ever had leaning either, but that ability helps quite a bit. besides, wtf are you even saying? describe exactly how it goes against the game style.

basically the fire mode switch would be applicable to any smg or assault rifle, except the two semi auto rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyelite View Post
                          the COD series have never had a single/auto fire switch
                          But COD up until now was WWII-based, and fire-selector switches are a common component in modern-day weapons. It's in other modern-based shooters, and should probably be considered for future versions.

Originally posted by Roger Smith
                          neither series ever had leaning either
                          You can lean in previous COD's for PC.

Comment

i see, my mistake.

Comment

If you made a fire selector all the rifles would be the same thing. I say nay, it's realistic but changes game play too much.

Comment

not true. they would still retain their automatic and burst fire modes that are very different. and on semi they still all have different accuracy recoil and damage values, that effect how the guns operate.

Comment

Working...
                                X