why can't we have big maps like bf2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [MyIS]Alex View Post
    lol, you can just about play DX10 games on a 8800Ulta, but only just. You put anything DX10 near those 8500's and they will die.

Should have gone for a single 7900gtx. They are pretty damn cheap on ebay now and would beat those 8500's hands down.
    My XFX 8800GTS 640MB plays Crysis on DX10 with added extra gfx at around 15fps on 1280x1024, so my saying an 8800 Ultra can only just play a DX10 game is abit of an over statement.

Yes 7800's are damn powerful but not DX10 compatible. All 8 series cards can handle DX10, because thats what they are built to run...Like I said my computer will kick *** when I load 2 8800's into them. Cod4 on my computer already dishes out 70-91 Fps in COD4 and thats with all settings on high, but I had to turn anti-aliasing down a bit cuz it started to lag. Other than that I get a 80% performance increase with two 8500's.
    The problem is, they may well be DX10 compliant cards but that does not mean they will play DX10 at an acceptable frame rate. You should have gone for the 7th series card instead.

Comment

What purpose is served by telling someone they should have purchased something else? FFS, let the man do what he wants to instead of trying to inflate your ego and trod on his.

Comment

Lol, thanks for backing me up sonic.

I would like to know what you guys have, and honestly, I believe that 8500's will get the job done for right now. Two 8500's are better than most people have, and lets not forget my 2gigs and my dual core. This is actually my very first gaming rig and its only one year old. I also got my dad to pay for the whole thing. So... I really like my computer but I am not ready to dump money into 8800 till i have a job, but i cant wait to get one

Comment

Originally posted by Trevortt
          My XFX 8800GTS 640MB plays Crysis on DX10 with added extra gfx at around 15fps on 1280x1024, so my saying an 8800 Ultra can only just play a DX10 game is abit of an over statement.
          Yea.... 15fps lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogul2
            Lol, thanks for backing me up sonic.

I would like to know what you guys have, and honestly, I believe that 8500's will get the job done for right now. Two 8500's are better than most people have, and lets not forget my 2gigs and my dual core. This is actually my very first gaming rig and its only one year old. I also got my dad to pay for the whole thing. So... I really like my computer but I am not ready to dump money into 8800 till i have a job, but i cant wait to get one
            OFF TOPIC

Honestly, I understand your situation.

I'm a family man and I can't afford to have the best of the best gaming equipment without my family sacrificing. That's not going to happen so that I can play games on my computer.

I take the budget route and only buy the minimum I need at the time: it's called being "thrifty" for those unfamiliar with being responsible for your own finances. I'm not spending my parents money, I'm spending my money which I work really hard to make.

So-called "future-proofing" your technology purchases means you're over-spending IMO. I buy when I need something and when it's economically feasible. If I bought every computer component I wanted, I'd have a new rig every 6 months.

I have an 8600GTS and run everything in CoD4 on high at 1440x900. That's just fine for me and I only spent just over a hundred dollars on that card when I bought it at the end of last summer. That's all I need now.

ON TOPIC

Some of the great new maps by the user community are much larger than the vanilla maps. I'm very excited about some of this new content and think that we'll all be playing custom maps in the near future.

The largest new map I've seen is MP_Village. I played it last night with my mates and it's HUGE and a very good time.

Comment

We can't have big maps because the snipers are too powerful. I just played on the beta version of the Sharqi and that is all that there was, Snipers!!! You can get spawn camped by em because they shoot across the whole map and you can see across the whole map. I think if we had shock paddles that would take away some of the snipers on the map, lol!!!

Comment

People wanted "bigger" maps and now people are complaining they're too big now, hehe...

Comment

I am working on a Sea Knight versus Mi-8/Mi-17 map. Two choppers flying side by side, hehe, big enough? Just no pushing in the cargo bay! Keep quiet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by srgtcollins View Post
                    theres a reason they didn't come out with the big maps right away. In battlefield 2, notice the (clay smoke) fog stuff? Yeah thats only there cause they don't want everyone to load the ENTIRE map all the time, just the area surrounding them. In call of duty 4, the small maps are good because it loads the whole thing and you can snipe well because of it. just me $0.02
                    I doubt that. Why were loading times for BF2 so long if they ony wantd you to load a tiny section of the map.

Besides that, if you stand on a high roof in Karkand for example and you look around, you can see through the fog at the edges of your screen, which gives the impression of a fog effect rather than a wall that you can't see through because you haven't loaded it yet.

Also, there are hacks that remove this fog, I don't think the only thing those hacks do is load the whole map.

Comment

Working...
                    X