The Official Joystick Debate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Joystick Debate...

Ive searched far and wide for a thread which compares the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro to the Saitek Cyborg Evo (these two because they seem to be most popular) - without much luck

I want to buy a joystick but cant decide which one is best of the two so perhaps a big debate thread might help myself and the many others in the same situation...

So what do you guys recommend/prefer and why? Be brief and unbiased please...

NOTE: I dont really have any intention to buy a wireless stick or another overly expensive stick which is why the debate is narrowed down to these two...

I use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, bought it to play MS FS 2004 and found it to be a very capable stick for that job. Lots of buttons, good control, right hander only though.

I have only just started flying in BF2 but have found the stick does a good job heck it's allowed me to make a fair number of kills so it has to be good.

Only problem I have found is that because of the way it is designed you tend to rest your hand on the edge of the stick. This puts extra stress on the twist function of the joystick so have found that after a year or so of use the joystick twist function is no longer centred. The software for the stick doesn't have any reset or proper calibration software so it's always a bit off centre.

It can be solved by opening the stick up and having a tug on the spring inside it to help take the tension off it.

Comment

I don't use a JS, I use my mouse and KB. I don't like the feeling of the joy stick.

Comment

Both are good sticks. If youre a leftie, you cant take 3D. So go from there.

Laughing Man, check my "DXTweak2" topic, theres a piece of software that will help you get rid of your problems.

Comment

I think Im pretty unbiased. Ive owned both.

I loved the logitech. I loved it so much that when it broke, I bought another one......then it broke again, I called logitech and they sent me out a replacement free asap....that was pretty cool. It broke after 4 months...same as the others.

I went out and bought the Saitek. I have used it for about a year now. I cant break it....Ive tried. I want to break it so I can go buy a Logitech.

Sounds weird huh? The Logitech feels really nice. Its comfortable and the buttons are well laid out. The Saitek feels clumsy....like its been overengineered. Im used to it now and it doesnt bother me as much. If it ever breaks though, I will buy a Logitech and just deal with the fact that Ill have to replace it every 4-6 months.

If you have never used either, then buy the Saitek...because once you use the logitech, you wont want to go back. I hope ive made your decision harder....lol

Comment

Im using the Logitech Force3D PRO and i find that very nice to use...... lots of buttons 2 bind commands 2 and for the force feedback (only with supported games) it works really well but when in bf2 it doesnt do 2 much its just like a non force feeback JS

Comment

Originally posted by yoohoo313131 View Post
              I think Im pretty unbiased. Ive owned both.

I loved the logitech. I loved it so much that when it broke, I bought another one......then it broke again, I called logitech and they sent me out a replacement free asap....that was pretty cool. It broke after 4 months...same as the others.

I went out and bought the Saitek. I have used it for about a year now. I cant break it....Ive tried. I want to break it so I can go buy a Logitech.

Sounds weird huh? The Logitech feels really nice. Its comfortable and the buttons are well laid out. The Saitek feels clumsy....like its been overengineered. Im used to it now and it doesnt bother me as much. If it ever breaks though, I will buy a Logitech and just deal with the fact that Ill have to replace it every 4-6 months.

If you have never used either, then buy the Saitek...because once you use the logitech, you wont want to go back. I hope ive made your decision harder....lol
              Can you describe how it broke?

I have my 3D, and its literally unbreakable. Ive modified my spring so it wouldnt be as hard, and Im using DXTweak2 to correct for any small decalibrations. Its perfect, literally. 1.5 years and even the most common Z-axis failure has not occured.

Comment

The twist went out on 2 of them. Im sure it was prolly the spring. One the 3rd Logitech, It started drifting right. No amount of calibration would stop that. It just broke. I prolly use mine more than the average BF2 player, so it might not be fully unexpected. This discussion has been brought up in the past and there are numerous other men whos Logitech has broken, so its not just me.

Comment

Originally posted by yoohoo313131 View Post
                  ...I loved the logitech. I loved it so much that when it broke, I bought another one......then it broke again, I called logitech and they sent me out a replacement free asap....that was pretty cool. It broke after 4 months...same as the others.

I went out and bought the Saitek. I have used it for about a year now. I cant break it....Ive tried. I want to break it so I can go buy a Logitech...
                  well, for what its worth, i use the Saitek cyborg evo and I've broke 2 of them now. One of the twist sensors died on the first one after about a year, so I bought a new one. Then the trigger broke on the 2nd one, so i took it apart and replaced the trigger with the one from the first one. :nod:. its working fine now. The only problem I have is the throttle has loosened up so much that if I leave it anywhere other than +100% throttle it just sinks down to -100%.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Chris, how many hours have you used it (in 1.5 years)? Mine became decalibrated after only about 300 hours. DXTweak2 looks interesting, will check it out

Comment

Here is my old thread about that issue:

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

One update to that situation. After all I grow up hating the throttle and I went back to Logitech.

Yes, they broke after one year or less under heavy usage, but there is warranty for that. Just 2 months ago I replaced my old stick with 5th Logitech in the store which sold me my 4th Logitech. Thank God for the warranty.

Comment

Joysticks are confusing things. I don't use them, so I can't help you. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango9 View Post
                          Joysticks are confusing things. I don't use them, so I can't help you. Sorry.
                          What a useful post. Thanks for letting us know.

The Logitech 3D Extreme Pro is just AFAIK the best. It has a wonderful feeling, good buttons and is overall very very neat.

Comment

A bit off topic but I just can't fly the jets with my mouse (G5) and keyboard, I've tried believe me but I'm just terrible at it. I can take off ok but within a few seconds it looks like I'm trying to dig a hole in my desk with the mouse as I scramble to try and get enough lift to clear the hills, I have to concentrate so much on getting it to fly in the direction I want to go that I don't get chance to look for targets before I run out of map ! Then some pillock (ace) blasts me out of the sky !!

I've thought about getting a joystick . . . but I doubt it'll improve things. :salute:

Comment

^^Try to mess with your sensitivity settings for abit. I find it really easy to fly stuff with KB&M

Comment

Working...
                              X