How are the numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the numbers?

So many people said that FH2 was going to flop due to the long development time.

We all know that it takes a while to make a mod, and that everyone has personal lives, and that you should be thankful for something that's free.

But still some folks said that while they are thankful for the work, that the timing was going to kill an otherwise great mod. Many fans of the original FH went on the offensive saying that the numbers of FH1 will validate the future numbers of FH2. Opponents of this viewpoint argued that not everyone bought bf2 and that the engine is disliked.

Well since I haven't installed FH2 or opened BF2 in a month (new baby) - how did it go?

How many servers are populated on an average friday night? What about monday morning? I'm guessing there's probably a server monitoring website i can use to check - but I know of none.

Just curious.

Originally posted by troybob
    So many people said that FH2 was going to flop due to the long development time.

We all know that it takes a while to make a mod, and that everyone has personal lives, and that you should be thankful for something that's free.

But still some folks said that while they are thankful for the work, that the timing was going to kill an otherwise great mod. Many fans of the original FH went on the offensive saying that the numbers of FH1 will validate the future numbers of FH2. Opponents of this viewpoint argued that not everyone bought bf2 and that the engine is disliked.

Well since I haven't installed FH2 or opened BF2 in a month (new baby) - how did it go?

How many servers are populated on an average friday night? What about monday morning? I'm guessing there's probably a server monitoring website i can use to check - but I know of none.

Just curious.
    In general, servers are pretty populated-you can find a server with somewhere between 30 and 60 people on a lot of the time. Problem is, the servers still seem to be clogged full of noobs, who don't care about teamwork/don't give a damn about winning.

Comment

There is a server in the United States called the 130.Pz public, I believe its a 64 man, I usually go in there friday/saturday nights and it is populated, lots of teamwork, 88's and planes! (in other words its great, you just die alot)

Comment

I don't know about the times you mentioned, but as of this post, there are 204 players on 156 servers:

Comment

FH2, like many BF2 mods not named PR, seem to have a larger European following. Or at least more players early in the afternoon EST.

Player numbers fluctuate between 100-300 each afternoon/evening, especially if one of the big tournaments is having a match.

Comment

It's a shame that after the huge amount of work that there aren't more people playing like they did on BF1942. It's a wednesday evening here, 8pm London and there are 175 people on, with 3 servers with 20+ people.

Comment

troybob,

Long time no speak (prob '03), unfortunately I think it comes down to promotion from the publisher too. From a numbers point of view, PR is the largest and only has around 3% of players online at any given moment. That may put the whole mod community somewhere under 10%. You're really going against all odds when you're modding a platform that has expansion packs (not knocking the idea, it makes perfect financial sense for EA to do so). We had one mention on an EA page once, pre-BF2 release and the traffic coming from that was incredible, and never been replicated since. 2142 is out and BF3 is being hyped up, also hard to try to keep the playerbase from shifting...

Cheers

Comment

I normally find one server with 64 players on, and 4 or 5 more servers with less then 40 on at most times. Its a well populated mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rico
                  It's a shame that after the huge amount of work that there aren't more people playing like they did on BF1942. It's a wednesday evening here, 8pm London and there are 175 people on, with 3 servers with 20+ people.
                  a huge amount of work doesn't mean its the best work done or good quality of work done that most will play and enjoy. I uninstalled in two days after trying it out...the air is horrible and thats what made the game/mod fun for me. Whats funny is you hardly see any of the creators of this mod evening playing their own work which makes you wonder if they are either bored of it already or something else. There are plenty of good and bad things about the mod but no sense beating a dead horse.

Comment

Working...
                  X