Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realism? Or Realistic

Alright,
    I've played every release (except for 0.7), and I must get out some of my frustration. I bought Battlefield 2 to play, and I download mods for improved game play. Myself, like my fellow clan mates, have long enjoyed the Project Reality series. However, after reading the wiki, and 0.6 experience, some things have just gone too far.

So let's say me and my clan wants to form a sniper team, relaying information to the team in an organized fashion. Well, we can't do that because somebody who loaded faster than us managed to grab the sniper kit, becoming a lone wolf sniper, and hardly contributing to the team.

Another scenario. Let's say my clan (focuses on sniping/air) wants to provide tactical air to ground support, and actually communicate with ground units for the enhanced game play experience. Well, we can't, because another player on the team wants to "test out the jets".

Now, I wouldn't mind a player being a lone wolf as a particular kit/using a particular vehicle, as long as me and my clan were offered the opportunity as well. Finding 2 hours to play a single match, with probably only about 3 jet spawns, is frankly a waste of a game. Yes, we could wait for the jet, but then what use are we to the team? None.

Response: Well, you'll get it eventually, or respawn when it's about to spawn.

My Response: First of all, if I chose to respawn when a jet was about to, I would have to have been counting the time to the spawn - which is crazy. Also, by the time I respawn (90 seconds later) somebody else has taken the jet. And eventually getting it doesn't cut it, we want to provide support to the team, and the team I'm sure would love support NOW rather than later.

Response: Let other people have a turn, or go back to Vanilla.

Alright, I will if that's all you're going to say. I love(d) Project Reality, as it gave me a chance to actually feel useful in the scheme of things. Now, the respawn times are heightened to such a point that playing a particular gamestyle is out of the question. Shooting for total reality will get you nowhere, making things more realistic is the way to go.

Realism = no respawns, 1 spawn per vehicle (which will soon be in 0.8!).

Realistic = increased damage, more realistic physics, etc.

Now, I am downloading - for a total of about 7 (2 now, thanks to a helpful lad in another thread) hours - the new mod - which I really wish could have come as an incremental.

There's a reason you don't find any games with the realism Project Reality is aiming for, it just doesn't suit the requirements for a good, PLAYABLE game. ArmA is very realistic, and it manages to keep the sense of realism without having 20 minute spawn times.

That is all. I don't mean to flame, I am amazed at what the dev team has accomplished. I just am very frustrated with the current direction of the mod.

totally aggreed

Comment

Lets not nerf another mod.

Comment

Haha, after our Xfire convo... my new moto for PR:

Download a bigger file/Play Less.

*BTW Trevor, I have every right to my opinions. I have played with a few of the members of Project Reality, and they are great guys, don't get me wrong.... But I just don't like where the mod is heading*

Comment

Totally agreed. Realism is good, but I don't like it when it inhibits gameplay.

Now, vanilla BF2 is "gameplay to the extreme" where it's just bunny hopping and nade spamming. I don't like that either.

Bottom line: People buy games/download mods to play a game. It may be more arcadish, it may be more realisic, but what they don't spend money on is being able to live real life in their "game", if you get my drift.

Comment

And that's exactly what I think it is. It's becoming a focus on realism to the point that it detracts from game play.

It would have been great to have squad leaders who can designate targets with the spotter (can't remember the name), but it has to go through the commander - assuming the commander does his job.

That's not my biggest gripe (JET RESPAWN TIMES SCARE ME), but it's just one of those things that focuses on realism - chain of command - that if one section in that chain isn't properly functioning, it inhibits the functionality of the rest of the chain. Increased realism tends to decrease game play "approval" (best word I could think of)

*Also, aren't squad leaders - in real life - able to be redirected to direct communication with air units?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialz
              Haha, after our Xfire convo... my new moto for PR:

Download a bigger file/Play Less.

*BTW Trevor, I have every right to my opinions. I have played with a few of the members of Project Reality, and they are great guys, don't get me wrong.... But I just don't like where the mod is heading*
              Get down from your high horse, i did not say you did not have the right. Read my post again.

Comment

My high horse? Well, now I see you said "let's not nerf another mod", I thought you said "let's not flame another mod".

Anyways, my apologies for that. However, where did you get this "high horse" logic, I in no way bragged about myself/set myself on a podium.

Back on topic please

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialz View Post
                  My high horse? Well, now I see you said "let's not nerf another mod", I thought you said "let's not flame another mod".

Anyways, my apologies for that. However, where did you get this "high horse" logic, I in no way bragged about myself/set myself on a podium.

Back on topic please
                  The definition of "high horse" means you are getting high rate ie calm down.

Comment

I always thought it was something different... hmm, learn something new everday.

To properly respond to your first post then: I do not believe that altering the mod to increase playability is considered "nerfing" rather "improving" the mod. Unlike Battlefield 2, I am not asking for simply balance changes, such as decreasing gun damage on blackhawks.

I'd love to fully enjoy Project Reality, but the direction of the mod continues to hinder my ability to do so.

Comment

tbh ur gunna hate this and probably expecting it, but don't play it. i dont mean that in a bad way, but if u dont like a mod dont play it

So let's say me and my clan wants to form a sniper team, relaying information to the team in an organized fashion. Well, we can't do that because somebody who loaded faster than us managed to grab the sniper kit, becoming a lone wolf sniper, and hardly contributing to the team.
                      how can they change this though ? make it so every one can spawn as sniper ?? no thanks.

Another scenario. Let's say my clan (focuses on sniping/air) wants to provide tactical air to ground support, and actually communicate with ground units for the enhanced game play experience. Well, we can't, because another player on the team wants to "test out the jets".
                      again, make it have 32 jets on each team so every 1 can fly ? theres nothing they can mod against this and the sniper problem. you can mod a game but cant mod the players.

Now, I wouldn't mind a player being a lone wolf as a particular kit/using a particular vehicle, as long as me and my clan were offered the opportunity as well. Finding 2 hours to play a single match, with probably only about 3 jet spawns, is frankly a waste of a game. Yes, we could wait for the jet, but then what use are we to the team? None.
                      same thing on points 1 and 2 how can they give ur clan the opportunity without every 1 getting in planes and flying?

My Response: First of all, if I chose to respawn when a jet was about to, I would have to have been counting the time to the spawn - which is crazy. Also, by the time I respawn (90 seconds later) somebody else has taken the jet. And eventually getting it doesn't cut it, we want to provide support to the team, and the team I'm sure would love support NOW rather than later.
                      the respawn on the jets in 20mins IIRC so by time u spawn it wont be gone.

There's a reason you don't find any games with the realism Project Reality is aiming for, it just doesn't suit the requirements for a good, PLAYABLE game. ArmA is very realistic, and it manages to keep the sense of realism without having 20 minute spawn times.
                      Project reality isnt made for the masses, its aims to be as realistic as the bf2 engine will allow (important!) also, PR wishes it could get to the realism of ArmA.

*Also, aren't squad leaders - in real life - able to be redirected to direct communication with air units?
                      yes but its not possible with the bf2 engine.

tbh, ur gunna hate .7 if u didn't like .6, .7 is going to turn away alot of players with its steap leaning curve and unforgiving gameplay

Comment

It's actually not that difficult (playing right now, waiting for my jet)

It's fun once you get a jet, but the game doesn't offer a wide variety of gameplay, like I feel it should.

And, as you said, if PR is going for ArmA realism, then tone down the spawn times.

20 minutes, I get your point. 5-10 minutes still gets the same job done, with less frustration. There's a difference between realistic, and excessive.

Comment

Ffs dont waitr for jets, you dont need one to be useful!

Comment

0.7 is a lot better

i think you get one sniper kit per squad instead of per team.

the respawn times are ridiculous too.

and i agree in that they went a bit far with the realism. i hate not being able to spot enemies anymore but it just encourages usage of VOIP.

Comment

What gives you the rite to have a plane/gun over any other player? for all you know they may be in a ts with other players using teamwork. I dislike how people constantly complain about 'noobs' taking the chopper or getting the sniper kit first, its as fair as it gets.

Comment

Working...
                              X