Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions before buying

Happy New Year to you all!

I have finally get to the demo. I played and it looks good. Now I just need to know one thing, how many players are there online? Are servers populated and how many servers are there running? Also I need to know what is the maximum number of players supported?

Is punkbuster working alright, heard that there are some aimbots.

Many thanks for your information?

There are loads of servers to choose from.. I don't know the max, I think 64.

Never bumped into a hacker myself, played for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Disavowed View Post
      Happy New Year to you all!

I have finally get to the demo. I played and it looks good. Now I just need to know one thing, how many players are there online? Are servers populated and how many servers are there running? Also I need to know what is the maximum number of players supported?

It's a great MP game.

There are a lot of servers with more coming online each week. I think we're up to 12 or 13 thousand now with only about 40% populated at any one time.

PunkBuster works as well as expected. There are some exploits have been observed, but I've not seen any. Plus, it takes time to develop ways to detect and disable advanced hax.

Max number of players is variable... I've seen 50 slot configs, but that is well outside of normal. Most servers are 24-32 slots. Some of the maps are much better at smaller configs of 8-12 players, though.

Welcome :salute:

Comment

One thing I am most worrying about, apart from the hackers is the playing style of the game. It's all aginst bots in single player as far as the demo goes. I fear once I get online, players are sort of click fast and kill fast just like back into the old days of CoD 1. What I mean is that team play is there or it's all rambo style that everyone just play on their own? I like BF2 very much because more or less it demands team play.

By the way, how many maps comes with the box?

Comment

Theres currently 13026 servers online.

You get 16 multiplayer maps with the game, with the addition of Christmas Crash (a map modified with a Christmas theme) in patch 1.4.

Theres two made game modes, normal and hardcore, hardcore is a one hit one kill kind of game mode, so if you have any sense you won't be running and gunning, its more about tactics.

Comment

"Theres two made game modes, normal and hardcore, hardcore is a one hit one kill kind of game mode, so if you have any sense you won't be running and gunning, its more about tactics."

Elaborate pls, don't quite get that sorry.

Comment

Okay maybe that was a little rushed.

Theres 6 main game types;
              • Team Deathmatch - Use teamwork to kill opposing players and reach score limit or time limit.
              • Free-for-All - You are against every player on the map.
              • Domination - There are flags at certain points around the map. All flags start neutral. Teams battle to hold the most flags.
              • Sabotage - Similar to Search and Destroy, only the bomb is neutral and there are objectives located in both teams' bases. Each team's goal is to take the bomb and blow up the objective in the enemy's base. The bomb carrier can fire his weapons, but his position will be announced periodically throughout the game. Also, unlike Search and Destroy, players have unlimited respawns.
              • Headquarters - A laptop spawns somewhere on the map. Your goal is to capture the laptop for your team. If Team A captures the laptop, they must defend it from being destroyed by Team B. Team A only has one respawn until the laptop is destroyed or the max time limit for the laptop is reached. Team B respawns at set intervals. Team A earns points for every second the laptop is held. A new laptop spawns when time limit is reached or the laptop is destroyed.
              • Search and Destroy - There are two teams: attackers and defenders. Attackers try to plant a bomb at one of two bomb sites, and defenders try to defend the bomb sites. If explosives are planted, defenders must defuse them. Players only have one respawn per round. A round is over when all players on one team are killed, or when the bomb explodes or is defused.
              Theres then two game modes;

Hardcore and Normal, hardcore takes away the players HUD and reduces there life in game by roughly 70% (?), weapons appear more lethal and you have to earn assets such as UAVs (3kills in a row), Airtstrikes (5kills in a row) and Helicopters (7kills in a row).

Comment

Originally posted by Disavowed View Post

COD4 is currently the 3rd most popular PC first-person-shooter online, with over 45,000 players at any one time at peak - only CS and CS:S have more. This is about 2x the number of players BF2 is getting these days (all numbers taken from Game-Monitor.com).

As with any game, there are lots of empty servers, and tons of full servers as well. You won't have any trouble finding populated servers to play on.

Punkbuster is enabled and working, but as always, there are still some cheats out there (aimbot, no-recoil, wallhack, etc). However, you have to be careful in accusations...the rifles are very accurate, and deadly even over distance, so sometimes it's easy to think someone is cheating when they are not.

Comment

How about team-co-operation? How cohesive is that?

Comment

On TDM...not much. Because of the smaller map sizes, it's a faster-moving game when servers are full, so there isn't much time to form up and proceed smartly. No squad-function like BF2, btw.

On the objective-types (DOM, SAB, S&D, HQ), team-play is decent. But, as always, you'll find the lone-wolves that only care about their K/D ratio, or the total n00bs who don't know what they're doing. But again, there are SO many active servers out there that if you're on one that you don't like, you can easily find another to try.

There is a built-in VOIP feature in-game, but not too many people use it.

If you enjoyed BF2, but aren't a total vehicle-whore, then you'll probably enjoy COD4. If you need your tanks/jets/choppers/etc, then you may not like it, since there are no drive-able vehicles (just automated airstrikes and choppers that attack enemies for a time).

Comment

I am quite a good SWAT 4 players so you know how much I dislike vehicles.

Gamemonitor is so cool, with it I know which shooter games I am buying. ET:QW is out for such poorly populated servers. UT2004 has many servers but most of them are empty. I am stunned at how many servers there are for COD4 and above all, populated ones are so many!

Comment

Sounds like you will indeed enjoy this game then.

Many gaming websites and e-magazines have awarded COD4 with various "Game/Shooter of the Year" awards.

There's a reason so many of us are playing it.

Comment

from reading everything posted here, i honestly cant see you not enjoying this game.

Comment

Yep. If you like shooters, even a tiny bit, then bypassing this game is lunacy

Comment

This game is great. Like previously stated it's lunacy to pass it up. And, one thing I like is that a stun grenade to the face will kill someone

Comment

Working...
                              X