New to BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to BF2

Hey, I'm new to BF2, started playing yesterday (got it for Christmas) and I was just wondering, is there any way to get better at this game? I played for about four or five hours yesterday on different servers without a single kill and died about eleventy-million times. Even if anyone knows the name of a good "newbie" server that would be great, but any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

practice in single player, ai is easy to kill so take it on them, practice headshots

youtube some bf2 frag videos and watch other people play, just some ways to learn more

Comment

Definitely practice in Single Palyer mode on Expert setting. It isn't in any way a fair representation of what you'll expect on-line....you'll later come to realize the bots are predictable dimwits. Single Player mode is a good place to practice; aiming, the commo-rose, key commands, flying (especially flying), map layouts, etc.

Get your keys binded (setup) the way you want them (for all modes: on foot or vehicles), the graphics setting for optimal (FPS) performance, and make sure you don't have a dreadful ping rate on-line....some practice....and you good to go. There are also many Wikis and guides to the Battlefield for you to read which will help too and I'm sure someone will link to (I've lost all mine).

But it's only on-line where you get some real experience that'll test your skills. You will (like I did at first) find that you seem to suck, but over time you will (hopefully) improve, find your playing style and start dishing out death rather than being on the receiving end of it :salute:.

Comment

Welcome to TBF2!

Just play single player on hard, don't bunny hop, and just practice. With that, you'll be a decent player in no time.

Comment

Just keep playing,

I remember when I first started, I hated it, it was so confusing, and overwhelming, I'd suddenly die out of nowhere, especially from jets.

Comment

Wow I couldn't imagine jumping into this game for the first time right now...everyone else has had 2½ years of possible playing time and most know the maps and strategies inside out. I mean it's one thing to learn along with everyone, but to jump into it with the sharks all around you? Ouch. But good on ya TC for giving it a go, and best of luck soldier. :salute:

~Wolfgang

Comment

btw I found this on bf2s

Comment

Join a squad and spawn on your SL, play as the Medic or Assaulter or AT if applicable. When in doubt, throw a nade, works every time.

Comment

Use single fire for long range shots to increase accuracy and be aware of your surroundings. Don't run and gun, "advance and secure" works best.

Comment

keep behind cover, don't run out in the middle of the street. start in single player, but when you do play online, be patient. right click to aim, and don't fire all your bullets at once. on the full auto guns, go in 2-4 bullet bursts.
                    make sure to stay with your squad leader.
                    are you on a laptop with a touch pad? if so, get a mouse. i tried playing on my uncles friends laptop today, and it was realllly hard.
                    if the game is lagging, try setting some of the video settings down more.
                    it will come, just give it time.
                    oh, and dont' become discouraged and hack, because that isn't cool, and nobody likes a hacker[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7sDDMLfmyGA[/MEDIA]

Comment

just keep playing that how i started..

Comment

Well BF2 was my first FPS (well first for 10 years) so when I first got it I started in single player mode and spent an evening doing easy, medium, and finally hard AI. Then ventured into ranked servers and to start with got my a$$ kicked left and right. All I would say is practice practice and practice and slowly but steadily you'll haul yourself up to 1 kdr and beyond. And bunnyhop all you want.

Wow I couldn't imagine jumping into this game for the first time right now...everyone else has had 2½ years of possible playing time and most know the maps and strategies inside out.
                        Actually I see plenty of new players all the time (and veterans leaving the game all the time). If it were the case that everyone who played had done for 2.5 years we'd see servers with 64 colonels on at a time, but we obviously dont see that.

Comment

Skill levels in BF2 vary a LOT. If you go onto a 64 player 24/7 karkand server, the skill level will be MUCH higher than a 16 player random map cycle, this is because the "pros" know you can rack up a lot more points on certain map configs, and stick with these servers.

There's no way to get really good at the game, fast. There are lots of variables. Do you want to get a great K/D? Then learn how to fly really good. Lots of points? Go on a karkand server as medic, and use your defibs a lot.

Here's my tips anyway, I go by these guidelines.:

Turn all your settings to low, except put your view distance on 100% and geometry on high.

Someone in this thread said don't bunnyhop. If you wish to be in any way competent, don't listen to him. You want to make yourself the smallest, hardest target to hit as possible. Jump around, constantly hitting your crouch and prone keys. If you get good at this you can simply bunny hop until your enemy needs to reload, and hit him then. Idiotproof.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is learn to survive. The longer you stay alive the faster you are able to understand the gameplay mechanics and maps. Choose the medic class, its much more newb friendly.

When shooting (to start off) always go prone. There are a few guns where going prone is not necessary but in time you will learn which those are.

Shoot in bursts....just because your gun is fully automatic doesnt mean you should go guns blazing all the time.

And like what every other person said...practice, practice, practice. You will definitely die a lot. Try not to make that discourage you.

Comment

In addition to all that has been suggested, I would determine the kit you are most comfortable with, and continue to use that until you are consistently killing mofos with it.
                              Early on I realized I did not like the hitboxes as they relate to most rifles, so I tried the shotguns. After I got used to how they worked I began to get much better in 1v1/2v1 senarios, had more success, and thus more fun.
                              I would suggest you unlock the DAO shotgun for the AT kit or the MKA1 Jackhammer for the Engineer kit early on.

good luck soldier, yer gonna need it! :salute:

Comment

Working...
                              X