Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punkbuster freezes??

Hi there...

A guy in my clan is getting this problem with punkbuster, that makes he's game freeze up complete, then has to do a hard restart.

I have tried searching the forums, Even Balance and google but luck. This is why I'm going to ask and see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

When he plays on non PB servers, it works without any problems, playing on a server with PB enabled is a different story, he picks he's side, then within seconds the game completely freezes.

He has tried numerous different things, and here they are...

Downloaded pbsetup file from even balance.

Downloaded the latest updates.

Check to see if it was allowed in the firewall. (Norton)

Completely turned off Norton.

Completely uninstalled Norton.

After all this, the same thing keeps happening!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does he have Vista or XP firewall enabled? I have seen this when there were two firewalls going and one of the two did not allow PB through.

Also, does he have another game that has PB that is working? That is an easy way to rule out hardware firewalls or CoD PB specific issues.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Sounds like maybe he should try a complete uninstall of Punkbuster, using Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel, then re-install and check-for-update.

Once that's done, have him turn off Norton, and be sure to check if any AV (anti-virus) programs are running in the background, and completely exit out of them as well.

Be 100% sure that he has the latest drivers for his video card too.

Then have him try to connect.

Comment

PB is not in the add/remove programs??? Well its not for me anyway.

@ CptainCrunch... He has XP, and the firewall is off, just Nortons is on. As for other games, he said that he use to play CoD2 without any problems and that's with PB enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by |D:W| Gaffa View Post
          PB is not in the add/remove programs??? Well its not for me anyway.
          Sorry about that...I was going off something I read elsewhere, instead of checking myself.

Have him try this, from Evenbalance's website, it may work: http://evenbalance.com/downloads/cod4/pbsec.htm

If none of this works, he may want to just try to do a complete re-install of COD4. Be sure to have him make a backup copy of his entire Profiles folder on his desktop first (this is where all of the SP and MP info is stored).

Comment

He's already reinstalled the game a few times, so wont be that. I'll give that link a try and see what happens.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X