Voice acting - no, they still arent getting it done properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice acting - no, they still arent getting it done properly

I think Ive already expressed that COD4 MP can be summed up with a word "flawless", however. I think many of you are or have been wondering just how accurate the Russian voice acting is? The answer is, it isnt. Not only are they plain inaccurate, but they are obviously done by people who have studied Russian for a few years.

I know people have had its fair share of laughter when people started translating DICEs wondercreation BF2 voice overs.

Its probably hard to appreciate the comical tone in what the "Russians" are saying in COD4 if youre American. I played the finale in COD4 and my brother walked in, he asked what game it was and once he heard (the scene just after you killed the main bad guy in Last Stand mode) the Russian voice acting, he started laughing.

The multiplayer is even funnier. I run in packs with at least someone from Speznaz team, and I grin every time they reload. The "Cover me, Im reloading" messages are simply hopeless. I imagine further down the road, the "funneh" becomes annoying and irritating.

Now, the most obvious question and the topic of dicussion. Why do game developers think that they can fool anyone by hiring obviously talentless and skilless folks?

Would have been pretty cool to listen to some badass Russian yelling "Cover me, Im reloading!". Instead of "Coovarh mah, Um reloooodin´!"

its is pretty bad, but its pretty funny too. I remember the translation for the MEC uav message was "the plane has no pilot" and I would always crack up when they did it.

Just live and laugh, you have to if your human.

Comment

I normally can't hear the voices over airstrikes or the noise of a chopper bringing you your death.

Will keep an ear out now tho.

Comment

IW should have used real russian and arabic, not this accent bs.
        I would play on Spetz just to hear the russians yell and swear.

I do like the opfor`s CAPTURE THE OBJECTIIIV!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
          Now, the most obvious question and the topic of dicussion. Why do game developers think that they can fool anyone by hiring obviously talentless and skilless folks?

Would have been pretty cool to listen to some badass Russian yelling "Cover me, Im reloading!". Instead of "Coovarh mah, Um reloooodin´!"
          Because, to be honest, no one really cares (apart from you obviously)

All voices are stereotyped. Ever heard the BF2:SF British voices? Sound retarded.

Comment

They say Conrad, thats good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
              Because, to be honest, no one really cares (apart from you obviously)

All voices are stereotyped. Ever heard the BF2:SF British voices? Sound retarded.
              An ignorant statement. Theres a HUGE bulk of Russian speaking people, and another huge group that can make the difference between bad and proper Russian. Consider this. Voice acting is simplier, and almost anyone can do that. So why not contact your local college/university, check if theres Russian speaking students (who actually are Russians), theres at least a few in every uni/college, pay them a few hundred bucks and a name on the credits list, and do it properly. Its not hard, and in the end, it makes the game shine in perfect polish. Wax on, wax off.

The mod community is awesome in that respect, POE2 Ukrainian voice acting is awesome, even though its very different from Russian (FIN and EST languages can be compared similarily).

I just think that if a few hundred bucks is the difference (hell, many would do it for free, I know I would! ), why not pay it up?

Comment

This is nothing compared to the NK's voice in MP Crysis. It's just awful.

Fine, Crysis is a great MP & SP game but that voice almost makes it unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                  An ignorant statement. Theres a HUGE bulk of Russian speaking people, and another huge group that can make the difference between bad and proper Russian. Consider this. Voice acting is simplier, and almost anyone can do that. So why not contact your local college/university, check if theres Russian speaking students (who actually are Russians), theres at least a few in every uni/college, pay them a few hundred bucks and a name on the credits list, and do it properly. Its not hard, and in the end, it makes the game shine in perfect polish. Wax on, wax off.

The mod community is awesome in that respect, POE2 Ukrainian voice acting is awesome, even though its very different from Russian (FIN and EST languages can be compared similarily).

I just think that if a few hundred bucks is the difference (hell, many would do it for free, I know I would! ), why not pay it up?
                  I don't think they are even close... There may be some similarities but still...

Comment

Originally posted by -(UtC)- Iquere « View Post
                    This is nothing compared to the NK's voice in MP Crysis. It's just awful.

Fine, Crysis is a great MP & SP game but that voice almost makes it unplayable.
                    Yeah, what is it with the developers that think they can get away with it.

But in defense to NK voice over. I know in countries there, languages have various dialects and such, can this be the case?

And StoneCold, I agree, they are very different, but you cant ignore the obvious similarities. "Ihminen" and "Inimene" for example. Thats why I used UKR vs RUS comparision. They have their certain similarities, but are very, very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                      Yeah, what is it with the developers that think they can get away with it.

But in defense to NK voice over. I know in countries there, languages have various dialects and such, can this be the case?

And StoneCold, I agree, they are very different, but you cant ignore the obvious similarities. "Ihminen" and "Inimene" for example. Thats why I used UKR vs RUS comparision. They have their certain similarities, but are very, very different.
                      Yeah, those two examples are kinda same...

But i still think they aren't even close, execpt for few words/sentences..

One thing... Where u are from?

Comment

Kinda, if the guy was talking in a normal tone of voice I bet it wouldn't have been to bad though.

The US's voice is calm and not very disturbing at all, so why must the NK scream? It's almost like Crytek was racist lol

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
                          "Starlight to this location, over!"

Comment

Originally posted by StoneCold313 View Post
                            Yeah, those two examples are kinda same...

But i still think they aren't even close, execpt for few words/sentences..
                            There are far more similarities though :P

One thing... Where u are from?
                            Estonia, Ive studied Finnish for 1 year.

Comment

There are far more similarities though :P

Estonia, Ive studied Finnish for 1 year.
                              Yeah, there is "few" more similarities. But they still different..

Comment

Working...
                              X