Clarking Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarking Tips

ok i've been reluctant to share info on the Clark cos i considered it my best weapon, i had an all-time high of 12kdr with it in the past. but the pr0s have left the game and it's probably share now or never. besides i play on asian servers =D

anyway, to business.

When to use it
    the Clark is a powerful weapon in the right hands, but only in the right situations. Basically, it works best in places with short line of sight, meaning that the enemy sees you when you're close to them. This basically means crowded maps with chokepoints and buildings. So know when to pick the Clark.

CQ: most non-titan CQ maps are good for Clarking. nobody plays Sidi/Suez/Shuhia/Minsk etc conquest much, but if you do the only situations you should pick Clark is when defending a CP that has a short line of sight.
    Titan: The titan is the best place for Clarking. other than that, only use it when defending a silo. Minsk silo 2 (i think, the one with the walker, APC and FAV spawn as well as an AA gunon the roof) is an example where Clark can work fine.

you should always use the Clark with light armour too. mobility is especially important, since you have no movement penalty jump all you want.

How to use it
    1. TRIGGER DISCIPLINE. I see people who start pumping the shotty when they bump into me around the corner, then wonder why my shotgun kills faster than theirs. The trick is to AIM so you can kill in one shot, even if this means taking a bit of damage first. This is less important in 1.4 due to fast RoF but still gives you an edge.
    2. AIMING AREA. I personally don't aim for the head cos when you aim straigh at the head, the pellet spread means half your pellets flies over the guy's head. Instead, aim for the upper torso so the top of your circular crosshair is at his head. This way, ALL the pellets will hit him and some will enter his head as well.
    3. DISTANCE. i've seen people trying to pump lead into me from such a far distance that i take 4 damage per shot. This only serves to tell the enemy where you are. As a general rule of thumb, only shoot at people who appear AT LEAST as big as your crosshair, ie their height is same as the diameter of the biggest circle in your crosshair. This distance usually allows you to kill with 4-6 shots, which is about the maximum time you have before they kill you.
    4. RELOAD. THis is extremely important. If you run out of ammo in a firefight you're a goner. RELOAD often, especially since you're support and don't need to worry about running outof ammo. i personally reload once i have 4 shells left

Unlocks
    Choosing the right unlocks when you use the Clark is imperative. These are the unlocks i choose (i dont have NS but use field upgrades):
    Sonar
    This is usually a must-have item, especially on the titan or in CQ. Examples where a well-placed Sonar will help everyone on your team GREATLY is probably Comm Tower on Belgrade (the one in the middle of a forest), looking at the sonar is much easier than figuring out if that blackish blob is a PAC d00d or a tree. it is EXTREMELY useful especially in crowded maps, and your whole team will thank you for it. in fact when racing from, say, Central Camp to Ruins via the main archway, you should put one down once you leave Central camp, hold out your ammo hub, and put another one down once you get it. This is just as effective as sticking it on an SL drone, only you don't need the SL to use a drone.
    Boots (NS soldier unlock)
    not really a support upgrade, but useful nonetheless. As a trigger-happy hyperactive monkey with a noob cannon, you need to run and jump alot.
    Sentry gun
    Don't underestimate this, since it is your only means of engaging a long-range enemy. The suppressive fire it provides is useful when you see an enemy too far away to engage. Deploy one and start moving towards him, taking cover along the way and resupplying yourself. Once he destroys the gun, put another down. Use your ammo hub to your advantage.
    Sentry gun is also useful on the titan roof, both on the upper and lower deck. Usually gives you a few kills if placed in the corner.
    EMP grenade
    what i usually take if i dont have field upgrades yet. the EMP grenade is actually rather useful, not just to lock down vehicles or annoy people =D
    If the enemy is too far away for you to engage, or you need to move across an area where enemies will see you, chucking a few EMP grenades screws up their HUD and makes it MUCH harder for them to aim at you. Not to mention they can't really identify you when EMPed. EMPing enemy Clark users is particularly evil since it takes away their aiming crosshair for about 5-10s, and since Clark cannot scope they are basically shooting blindly. Not too sure if EMP screws up scope.
    RDX shotty
    veyr situational unlock. Provides you with med-range firepower, but it's not very useful except on titan or clogged chokepoints.

What to do if...
    I'll provide a few situations here. i may add more if i thikn of them.

1. You're on the Titan roof defending the middle deck (whre the vents are). You need to put down a sentry gun at one corner, distracts your enemy from you since it's an open area. If you see anyone on the top deck, throw grenades, and hide near the crates so he can't see you directly. Beware, good players know to check the blind spots. If anyone pods down too far awya from you and runs for the vents without caring about damage taken (as most noobs do), let the sentry gun deal with him. if he doesn't die, no problem, the titan defenders will do their job. if there is NOONE else podding down, however, and you're sititng around doing nothing, just shoot him. every little bit of damage counts.

2. You're in the corridor near the edge of the map along Central camp, leading to Ruins. you see an enemy soldier coming round the corner from Ruins. Basically, a medium-range standoff where your shotgun does too little damage and there's no buildings to go aorund. In this case, take cover where you can (ie the ladder area) after deploying a sentry gun. you can spam grenades to either flush him out or make him retreat. After a barrage of grenades, SPRINT towards him, throwing grenades along the way until you're in service range of your Clark. Between the sentry and the nades an average player will be distracted enough to let you sprint up. if you're feeling evil, EMP grenades help too as mentioned above.

3. You reach the lower level of Central Camp, it's still the enemy's CP, and enemy soldiers are bound to appear out of nowhere. You have a few choices - if you're waiting for backup, hide behind osme crates or in a recess in the wall, and only shoot when someone sees you or they run close to you. If you need to engage immediately, however, i recommend you camp at one of the two corners where there's a recessed portion in the wall and there are crates fr you to hide behind. A sentry gun in front of or beside the crates will cover the opposite entraces, grenades will allow you to deal with pesky people, and your shotty will OHKO anyone who comes in form the entrance on your left. Sonar helps a lot in this case. If anyone tries to shoot at you from above, hide close to the wall and move when he comes down to hunt you down.

3. on belgrade or FoB, you've got Playground and the enemy's got Comm Tower, and there are buildings between you. obviously place your sentry gun to cover the area, and sonar if you have em. the best place for you to be is the stairs - you can kill anyone who tries to make a break for it, and anyone who tries to come up the stairs only gives you an easy aim. it's very effective to defend the upstairs area of buildingins with Clark, just watch out for APMs and the people at Comm Tower who can see you. lob grenades and EMPs at them if you need to escape. bunnyhop and sprint if you need to escape. proning simply gives you a momen's respite before the rockets and nades start exploding.

remember- don't be afraid to use any munitions. you have plenty to spare =D

Nice guide. I'll confirm that emp does mess with scope as well. Sonar is definitely a must have item - I would go so far as to suggest that the moment you move outside the radar radius, you should put another one down ASAP. Also...with the recent change in ROF, maybe people should use it as a double-tap weapon lol. Two clicks and they should be dead.

Comment

any tight/enclosed areas that allows you to get close to them work well. But only works when you don't stray from them. EMPs are great as an opening move to throw it at a suspected piece of cover because it affects targets through objects. Is particularly good at ruining a sniper's aim. Their scoped crosshair basically disappears if its a strong hit. Just be careful with them because you are quite reliant on your crosshair too.

But then again, you might be better off throwing a frag instead.

Comment

An EMP grenade is extremely useful when running into enemy crowds, even the most skilled players will be disoriented and that makes them easy prey :evil:

Learn to use the pistol properly incase you run out of ammo (this is where I fail)...

Use your ability to fire accurately while moving to your advantage. Strafe around the enemies insated of just running straight towards them. Use cover and think creatively.

Nice guide nevertheless

Comment

Originally posted by dontsh000t View Post
          2. AIMING AREA. I personally don't aim for the head cos when you aim straigh at the head, the pellet spread means half your pellets flies over the guy's head. Instead, aim for the upper torso so the top of your circular crosshair is at his head. This way, ALL the pellets will hit him and some will enter his head as well.
          A point I have vehemently and repeatedly tried to make in all my time on these forums regarding shotgun play. If you remember one thing about how to aim a shotgun in close quarters, make this the one thing.

Comment

thank you.
            Lunien, that's what i usually do. didnt make it too clear in my guide, but basically just keep resupplying yourself and throw one down if you need to stay there for a while.

confirmed, a strong emp hit will disable scope and crosshair. which is nice to know.
            if you play 2142 hardcore you may wanna take a leaf outta CSS player's books: stick a small translucent sticker where your crosshair is so you aren't affected by EMP, since your weapon does not require pinpoint accuracy. i've actually killed someone while being EMPed - you can estimate where your crosshair is, but it took me 3 point-blank shots.

Comment

I disagree about your Clark-12 RDX Comment... It is situational, but if a Grenade or PK Rockets can do, the Fried Cheeseball Launcher can do it as well

Don't EVER wait to reload. I can't emphasize this enough! If there is a lul in the action that looks like its going to last a good 5 seconds, RELOAD! So what if you have 6 Shells left? That 7th could be the one that saves your life!

Comment

yea, but the cheeseball has less splash, a shorter range, and is bright and shiny...

Comment

the most people dont flee for it. the group around them and wonder what it is till they fall death on the ground. can there be a guide for the other shotgun(assualt. so less used i dont know the name lol)

Comment

Herzog? Just use it the same way as the Clark and you should be fine

As for the fried cheeseball launcher, nobody knows what they are, so they just sit there while the cheeseballs lead the way to a well deserved death Sometimes people look at them and are like "Ooh, shiny!" and run straight to them... Sadly its normally teammates who do that :|:

Comment

herzog sucks. 3 shots per clip is manageable if you avoid large crowds, but the fact that you only have 3 clips and you don;t have an ammo hub makes the PK much more worthwhile.

Comment

not if you aim good. then you are like a sniper with the baur and if you run out of ammo you use the herzog on short range. and i have 5 times 4 shots. and the pk is only good for enemies that have cover. not fot in the open while herzog takes out enemies clarkers and saves your live then. and if the enemies have cover mostly the top of their head still sticks out(so you can headshot him with an ar).

Comment

Agreed. Thats the main purpose of a Herzog; Close range capabilities for the Baur.

Comment

when i pick baur i try not to get into cqb... i use baur when for instance PAC has base and Harbour while EU has everything else on Camp G, and the fight takes place between Harbour and Toll.
                            I guess herzog is fine, but only if support people are nearby.

Comment

Squad Play; thats where its at

Comment

Working...
                              X