Need some help flying the gunship.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help flying the gunship.

I have found a few guides on this site, but mostly for advanced maneuvers, like swinging backwards under your own Titan and popping up on the other side (very cool). But I am having load of trouble just keeping the damn thing in the air.

How do you tell it to go up without moving forward? When I take off, it starts going up but then instantly shoots forward. I have died many times by crashing into something in front of me.

I have tried the hover bit by holding the D button. However, I seem to drift all over the place. By the time I get it to settle down, I have been shot down. Is there any way to stabilize it a little more or is it just practice?

Has anyone gotten a 360 Controller for PC working with 2142? I would think this would make it a little easier to control but the pitch (forward/back of the planes nose) doesn't work regardless of what I map it to in the 2142 controls screen.

Any basic tips appreciated. I am getting killed at a rate of 20 times a round versus picking up only 3 or 4 kills, mostly by accident.

Thanks,
    DD.

You use the mouse to pilot it steer it and WASD to accelerate/ decellerate and strafe left and right.

Firstly make sure you dont have the controls inverted. As you start going up pull back your mouse slowly and you should begin to take off. I think you can practice on the Single Player Mode and that can help a bit. Just tryto remeber that the wouse controls the tilt of the plane and not the keys.

Good Luck Soldier :salute:

Comment

The gunship is pretty tricky. Some of the things pilots can do in them is just amazing, I recently figured out how to do a loop in the thing but I was a gunner for one guy that did a barrel roll. Amazing.

The best advice I can offer is to start a Lan based game Titan mode preferred and while it's "Waiting for more Players" to connect hop in the thing and practice. That's how I learned.

Comment

Well you pretty much can't "hover" straight up like a transport. To go up, you have to angle the nose up.

I do have my mouse inverted.

The "D" buttun is your friend. Its pretty much the only way to stop it from moving. It takes a sec but you will come to a hover. Also, try to angle the nose up when ur coming to a hover, ie to stop or quickly spin around for a passing gunship or transport. (With a transport, pressing D will make you descend.) So you just need to get used to it.

Also key for me, is to have a mouse that you can adjust on the fly. I put mine to the highest setting in any vehicle. If yours is set to medium, imo, its gonna take forever to do any type roll or evasive manuver.

Somthing that helped me also was to get good at piloting the Nekomata, tank. I spent a lot and I mean a LOT of time in that thing and it's similar in many ways. Also there are more of them to go around so you don't end up taking away an asset from your team, somone with skill could be utilizing. That'll just get you yelled at. hehe. And ultimatly, you wanna practice on an empty server or in single player mode.

Okay serioulsy, last tip. Maybe learn to "gun" first. If you get lucky you'll end up with a good pilot who's patient with somone new. He'll know the maps front to back. He'll line you up for shots and getcha lots a kills. But unless you're just sic', communication is key especially when you have two people that are at different skill levels. Meawhile, once you see somthing done you'll have an idea of what its supposed to look like. And then simply find the time and go practice it yourself.... Good luck and be patient. It's easy for some but us mortals do have to practice.

oh and i guess this outta be in the tips section.

Comment

Ah thanks for that. I'll jack up the mouse settings (and probably fly into a few more buildings initially, but keep practicing). Actually, I am just posting again so that you will reply with your "remote" sig pic.

Cheers,
          DD.

Comment

Practice and lots of it, just please do it in an empty server. Also, you can bind the arrow keys to the secondary controls for pitch and roll and fly with only the keyboard. I find that easier than using the mouse. I do have mine inverted from many years of flight sims. Also, turn your Yaw and Pitch Factor up high as it will help you with those manouvers.

Comment

It's just practice. When I started playing BF2 and flying the choppers I seriously could not keep one in the air without a few hours practice. After awhile you get the feel - it's very small adjustments needed with the mouse for control.

For advanced pilots a mouse with sensitivity switches is a must. I am not a serious Gunshipper so don't have one but can tell when I go up against those that do!

Comment

remote sig pic Well my IGN is nikkisun if you wanna add me.

"Also, turn your Yaw and Pitch Factor up high as it will help you with those manouvers."

I like that. Will it make it too sensitve though?

Comment

But if you turn it up to high it's not going to help - you'll just find it extremely hard to hit ground targets and it doesn't increase the maximum turn rate, so put it so that you don't waste any motions with your mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
                    But if you turn it up to high it's not going to help - you'll just find it extremely hard to hit ground targets and it doesn't increase the maximum turn rate, so put it so that you don't waste any motions with your mouse.
                    You don't change the sensitivity, just the yaw and pitch. It doesn't affect the sesitivity of the controls for when you are the gunner.

Comment

I do better with the joystick, personally. Saitek cyborg evo, gives throttle, pitch, roll, and yaw. Tons easier to control the gunship than the bf2 choppers, in my experience. Hovering straight up is perfectly do-able, you just need the right balance of slight nose up and reduced throttle. As others have mentioned, empty server practice is all it takes.

Comment

I use the Xbox 360 controller to fly the gunship. Not the best, but way better than Keyboard and Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by onehitah View Post
                          remote sig pic Well my IGN is nikkisun if you wanna add me.
                          Your pic in your signature file ==> "Why don't you buy a new remote?"

DD.

Originally posted by Quemical View Post
                          I use the Xbox 360 controller to fly the gunship. Not the best, but way better than Keyboard and Mouse
                          So how do you make it work? When I tried to configure my 360 Controller, the pitch wouldn't work at all. Even if I configured it to be buttons on the remote, BF2142 controls screen would accept them, but I wouldn't be able to dip the nose. I wanted it to be the second joystick on the 360 controller, but again, it accepts it, but then I cannot dip when I play the game.

Did you do something fancy to get it to work?

Thanks,
                          DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dare978Devil View Post
                            So how do you make it work? When I tried to configure my 360 Controller, the pitch wouldn't work at all. Even if I configured it to be buttons on the remote, BF2142 controls screen would accept them, but I wouldn't be able to dip the nose. I wanted it to be the second joystick on the 360 controller, but again, it accepts it, but then I cannot dip when I play the game.

Did you do something fancy to get it to work?

Thanks,
                            DD.
                            I'm using different drivers than the ones posted from the microsoft website. Maybe that's it.

These are the drivers i am using http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html
                            It's a long read but very worth it. The controller works way better, more noticeable on other games.

WASD is my left analog stick and what my mouse would control is now on my right analog. Fire is R1 and shield is R2. Changing camera views is R3. Works great for me :salute:

Comment

I use keyboard only and have no problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X