Joystick, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick, worth it?

I'm getting into flying and have been practicing a lot in empty servers. Thing is when I actually get into a game I'm having a lot of trouble turning tight enough to avoid missles. Should I invest in a joystick? Does it make that big of a difference? It feels like I'm being limited by using the mouse/keyboard. Do most of you use a joystick? Thanks.:salute:

I use a keyboard and shoot with my mouse...
    old skool

Comment

My next question is.. are you any good?

Comment

I have used ONLY keyboard since release. I am very good at it (since I've practiced for hours and hours). After a while I was considering getting a joystick, but I never did, and I don't regret it. I do disagree with using mouse+keyboard to fly jets though. You just can't turn well enough to be able to maneuver in the air. For shooting, I can understand that. Its hard to use your guns with keyboard only. For flying though, stick to strictly keyboard.

Jets: Keyboard
        Helicopters: I use keyboard and it works for me, but I'm practicing K+M now.

Comment

I'll always stick with the mouse/keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by adamism
            My next question is.. are you any good?
            Im not the best but hey i just started flying 3 weeks ago
            I can shoot some ppl down, using a jet only lol

Comment

No.

If you're going to buy something for flying, get this. It's what I have.

Performance

* Interchangeable Grips: Use the included Wide Load and Precision grips to get a fit and feel that’s best for your playing style. The satin texture and fuller shape of Wide Load add extra comfort while the DryGrip technology plus compact shape of the Precision grip give you unmatched fingertip control.
              * 3200 dpi laser engine with Full-Speed USB: Get uncompromising speed and accuracy from a high-performance Gaming-Grade laser engine—plus instant cursor response with Full-Speed USB (up to 1000 reports/second).
              * Game settings to go: Take your personal mouse preferences with you. The G9 saves mouse settings in onboard memory—store up to 5 profiles (including keyboard macros, dpi settings, and LED color) on the mouse and play your way—without additional software installation*—on other PCs**.

Control

* MicroGear™ Precision Scroll Wheel: Use Logitech’s exclusive MicroGear™ scrolling technology for precise, click-to-click scrolling—perfect for quick weapon selection. Or switch modes for frictionless, hyper-fast scrolling.
              * Adjustable sensitivity: Shift from pixel-precise targeting to lightning-fast maneuvers without pausing the action. The G9 gives you instant access to multiple sensitivity levels between 200 and 3200 dpi, without driver installation.
              * Weight tuning system: Prefer a heavier or lighter mouse? Use the weight cartridge and up to 28 grams of metal weights to customize your G9 for just the right feel.
              * Polytetrafluoroethylene feet: Super-slick feet glide effortlessly across almost any surface.

Comfort and Convenience

* Custom-color LEDs: A color LED display indicates the current sensitivity level and profile settings. Personalize the color LED display by choosing from hundreds of colors.
              * More grip styles: Swap out your grip for a new look and feel. In addition to the provided Wide Load and Precision grips, other grip styles are available for purchase.

Technical Specifications
              Tracking

o Resolution: 200–3200 dpi (user-selectable)
              o Image processing: 6.4 megapixels/second
              o Maximum acceleration: 20 G
              o Maximum speed: 45–65 inches/second (depending on surface)

Responsiveness

o USB data format: 16 bits/axis
              o USB report rate: Up to 1000 reports/second
              o Sleep mode: Disabled

Glide

o Dynamic coefficient of friction (μk): .09**
              o Static coefficient of friction (μs): .14**
              o Tuning weight: Up to 28 grams

Durability

o Mouse buttons (left/right): 8 million clicks
              o Mouse feet: 250 kilometers

Along with one of these, which I also have.

Control

* High-visibility GamePanel™ LCD: Displays game stats and other important system information.
              * Illuminated characters: Choose from three levels of brightness. Locate keys easily in both bright and low-light conditions.
              * Eightteen programmable G-keys: Perform single keystrokes or complex macros with 18 fully programmable G-keys. Create macros on the fly, without having to pause the action.

Convenience

* Intelligent cable management: Keep mouse, headset, and other cords out of the way by routing them through channels on the underside of the keyboard.
              * Instant media access: Use the convenient one-touch controls for volume and media playback.

With the Logitech-exclusive GamePanel™ LCD, you can easily find out what server your friends are using to play Battlefield 2™, or receive notification when your World of Warcraft® battleground becomes available. You can even identify who’s speaking in Ventrilo™. Create useful macros on the fly and play them back with a single press of a G-key. Illuminated characters allow you to play late into the night.

Then you'll be all set.

Comment

its deff worth it

Comment

And to answer your question, I'm in the top 5 in the world as a helicopter gunner, and probably top 50 in the world as a helicopter pilot. I have 40,000 kills spread over my many accounts.

Me > anybody that reads these forums.

Comment

For starters. Worls absolute best jet pilots in BF2 are known to be using joysticks. Most of them use Logitech sticks. Prefered type is "Extreme 3D Pro" which I also use. While you can conveniently play with a mouse, keyboard is pretty much out of the question as its a cluster**** of a fingermassacre.

Thing is, if youre short on cash, I urge you to invest into a gaming mouse, if you dont have one yet. The gain in fun from computer use alone is great. However, if you have cash to spend, invest in a well known joystick. The fun from flight with joystick is something different from mouse/KB use and you will appreciate it.

Will it make you a better pilot? Not by default. What a joystick does is remove certain limits a mouse or KB user has, and give you comfort of use which is unrivaled by other peripheral devices, only matched by a gamepad with an analogue stick and even that one is a by "maybe". Joystick will also add a lot to the immersion factor, which increases fun from gameplay.

So ultimately, if youre not scared of getting used to something new and interesting, spend those 30-40 bucks on a stick. If youre short on cash, think it through. I know Im pleased with my Logitech product, and theres a boatload of people who are too, some of them can rightfully call themselves the best BF2 pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                      For starters. Worls absolute best jet pilots in BF2 are known to be using joysticks.
                      On that same note, the world's absolute best chopper pilots are known to use mouse + keyboard. Or keyboard + keyboard (WASD + up/down/left/right). The elite chopper pilots do not use joysticks.

Comment

Yes you should buy the joystick, it made me better flyer. I have logitech 3D extreme pro, for chopper I have razer copperhead and logitech G15.

Comment

You can fly just as good with mouse and keyboard than you can be with a stick. So IMO its a waste of cash

Comment

i also roll old school i don't do a lot of fancy maneuvers i just fly smart

and how are gaming mouses cheap most decent ones are $40

Comment

I'd recommend you get a joystick for flying jets, and stick with mouse and keyboard for helicopters.

Comment

Working...
                              X