sniper tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sniper tips

So this is basically the hardest game to snipe in that i've ever played. How about everyone creates some tips for people out there to help out.
    So far, everytime i try and snipe, i can't hit **** all. I'm a pretty damn good sniper in counter strike, day of defeat, and team fortress 2. But for the life of me i can't hit anything in COD4. I just got the barrett .50 cal, and even when i lie prone, hold my breath in, and aim right at a guy, it hardly ever hits.

How do you snipe in this game!

Here is my sniper class: (It will change whenever I complete challenges)

M40A3
    M1109 w/ silencer
    smoke grenade
    Claymores x2
    Stopping Power (even though I'm about to switch over to UAV jammer)
    Iron Lungs

I try to get in a building where i have a good view and can also put my claymores near doors.

Also, the bolt action rifles are a little buggy, they should fix it in a patch soon.

Comment

From what i have been told there is an issue with the hit reg on the sniper rifles, something to do with their FOV.

Comment

I need sniper help, too.
        I've found that the .50cal seems to hit more than the bolts do, though.

Comment

well i can't wait for a patch so they can fix all these screw ups haha.
          the Barrett .50 cal seems to be very buggy.. I fired a direct headshot on a guy who was standing still, and it didn't kill him..

Do you know what a .50 cal round to your head does in real life? It destroys it, it's gone.

Comment

How many bolt action rifles are there in this game?

Comment

it funny because when i watch a ''kill cam'' from a sniper it always seems like he wasnt even close to hitting me and he just closed his eyes and pulled the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator View Post
                How many bolt action rifles are there in this game?

R700, the Barrett, and i think the M50A3 (is that the name)?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlite View Post

R700, the Barrett, and i think the M50A3 (is that the name)?
                  the barrett isn't bolt action, it's a semi-automatic rifle. And it's an m40, not m50

Comment

Yea the barrett isnt bolt action.

The M95 from BF2 was a .50cal wasnt it? Similar to the Barrett?

Comment

For those having trouble with the sniper rifles/hit detection...is it mostly headshots that are missing, or are you also not registering a hit even when going for a solid torso shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                        For those having trouble with the sniper rifles/hit detection...is it mostly headshots that are missing, or are you also not registering a hit even when going for a solid torso shot?
                        it's both, i actually get more headshots than i do body shots whenever i use sniper.

Comment

Something has to be wrong with the hit registration for the snipers, I can't tell you how many times I have my crosshairs directly on somebody and the shot either goes wide or just does no damage at all.

Comment

Here's some hints/info I found on another forum...all you snipers out there, give these a shot and see if there's a difference or not:

The snipers are fine if you don't snap shoot/twitch shoot. Use the hold breath button and wait a sec till the scope stops swaying and take your shot. You will never miss. Its just that you have to be patient and take your time.
                            ok here is a helpful hint:

Use the "hold your breath" (can't remember proper name off the top of my head) function and time your shots everytime you hear your in game character exhale just like with real shooting.
                            I recently changed my mind on the sniper issue, I thought the snipers were useless as well, after countless held breath shots missing. Turns out, I was not holding my breath long enough, or steadying the scope enough. You cannot draw in a breath and fire half a second later anymore, it has changed. You must hold your breath for a good 2-3 seconds before you fire in order to be accurate. I play 504pir / aadchicago / dropzone servers, you can come in sometime and watch me snipe if you like. I am by no means the best sniper in this game, but I do not miss dead on shots. The rifles have changed, that is all there is to it. As to why the assault rifles shoot straight... whoever says they shoot pinpoint accurate at a distance is incorrect. You can fire the m14 with your sights dead on a person but if you are too far away, you will not hit them. The accuracy is affected by distance. Same goes for your sniper rifles. The bolt action sniper is the best until you unlock the r700, accuracy-wise. It will hit dead on 90% of the time if you fire it correctly. I have found the semi-automatic rifles to have very poor accuracy, due to their faster fire-rate. Or at least that is what I assume causes the poor accuracy. The r700 seems to be much more accurate than the dragunov etc. These are simply my observations, being a rank 50+ sniper. Take them how you will.
                            has nobody figured it out yet besides me?

Infinity Ward decided to make a game where unskilled shooters cant snipe, its as simple as that. They added some little conditions that arent noticable, but affect ur shots.

The Barrel will sway when u move it quickly across screen, so if u think u can pop up, trail some guy for half a second with a qucik whip of ur mouse and fire, ur not gonna hit himn. If its not barrel sway and its somthing else, honestly thats the best thing u can describe that effect as. Tbh, only shots where u keep ur sights steady and u stay dead on on a NON MOVING TARGEt will really give u a direct hit on where u aimed. Moving targes are next to impossible unless u learn to compensate for "bad hitboxes". There really are no bad hitboxes, u just need to learn. Aim in front of the guy and stop trailing him, then fire when hes on ur sights, its harder, yes, but u shud hit em.
                            Seems about 50/50 in terms of some people saying "problem" and others saying that it's now just "different".

Comment

i know how to shoot, i do what i do in real life. I hold my breath in for 2 seconds until its totally flat, and i line it up directly with the enemy, alot of the time it misses or doesnt kill him.

Comment

Working...
                              X