Extrapolation, Interpolation tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrapolation, Interpolation tweaks

Recently I came across a few tweaks that might help reduce lag and improve hitbox

Here is what I found out so far. Go to
    mods\bf2\Settings and edit Usersettings.con file

You might wanna try some of these but you have to adjust to your ping. GSDefaultLatencyCompensation must be set to your average ping (0.04 is for 40 ping)
    I read description of other values but I have no idea how to calculate them for particular ping. Perhaps someone can explain

rem
    rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2
    rem
    SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1
    SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.040000
    SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 1
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 100
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 60
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 30
    SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "aaa"
    SettingsManager.boolSet GSShowNetGraph 0
    SettingsManager.boolSet GSUseObjectCache 1
    rem
    rem
    SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.020000
    SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 444
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 36
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 64
    rem
    rem
    SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.035000
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 1200
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 400
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 0
    Some users reported success using either of these

Another quick tip is to set punkbuster check timer higher. Go to Battlefield 2\pb and create a file called pbcl.cfg

And add this to the file:
    pb_Sleep 500
    pb_system 1
    pb_LogToFile 1
    pb_SsLog 1
    pb_SsSave 1

yeah i remember reading this in tweakguides. i didnt notice any big difference tho, but worth trying

Comment

Thing is, this whole crap looks to work with proper settings and the only people who can explain how to set this sh!t up are those with more knowledge than an everyday user. I didnt get it, and Im a guy who goes throughal if he tries to find out something. I suggest you set up a proper thread for this and those of us who do know what this thing is and how to set the settings could explan to us in laymans terms.

Comment

Just a few examples

Im not the owner of the musicHow to fix your hitreg!

And a lot more about hitbox:

Comment

Again, these videos arent helpful. What would be helpful, is that someone who actually knows what is what to come forward and explain it to the dumb crowd. Youre just tweaking numbers accoording to the advice given by people who saw "some numbers" on Valve forums. Yes, thats how it was.

I know the theory, but I also know that the tweaking and altering numbers isnt just taken from thin air, they need to respond to something.

Comment

scroll down half way and read. but i think to understand wat the settings do, you would need to have some background in online computer game programming

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
              http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_7.html

scroll down half way and read. but i think to understand wat the settings do, you would need to have some background in online computer game programming
              Theres more meat to it. They explain roughly what they mea (extra and interpolation) but dont really explain how to set them up, as from what I gathered, settings depend heavily on your hardware and ping.

Comment

Cool, thanks this will help some people!

Comment

From what TweakGuides says about Interpolation, exactly how is it that setting Interpolation to 400 will stop TV missiles from going through choppers?
                  I a lower interpolation increases hit detection (as TG says) then why does 400 increase hit detection for TV's?

Comment

There is a lot of guessing about Interpolation and Extrapolation in BF2. Fact is I dont know how to interpret the variables in the usersettings but I do know how Interpolation and Extrapolation work.

In short Interpolation is based on facts and Extrapolation is based on prediction.

You computer(client) receives updates from the server at a regular basis. It uses the last update and prior to last update to calculate(Interpolate) an intermediate update and shows this on screen. What you see on screen is by default a bit later then the last update you received and therefor usually you have to aim a bit in front of a player when in motion. This is typical for most online games.

Extrapolation is something you dont want. This happens when your computer did receive the prior to last update but did not receive the last update. Now the computer can not calculate an average, now it has to predict(extrapolate) an update based upon the prior to last update. Not receiving an update can be caused by an overloaded server or packetloss.

Comment

Interpolation is the determination of a point/state between two known points/states based on measurable data such as time and speed. Extrapolation is the prediction of a future point/state based on current position and historical data. Interpolation should be accurate assuming no lost data and proper update rates. Extrapolation won't be as accurate unless players are moving at a constant rate and linearly. The variables in play for BF2 are what is fuzzy and really we need a person familiar with the game coding to know for sure.

I've fiddled with these tweaks and have never noticed any consistent improvement in hit detection.

Comment

Extrapolation is prediction. When you get "There is a problem with your connection", and everything starts flying around and colliding, that's extrapolation in effect. It's supposed to overcome intermittent packet loss.

Interpolation is bog standard averaging.

Edit: Damn I feel like a ****ing parrot.

Reducing interpolation time should make player models and other crap drawn more precisely, meaning better hit reg. At the same time, that's more interpolation work per second, meaning more CPU load. Extrapolation is next to useless unless you're facing noobs. Bf2's hits have to get approved of by the server, and extrapolation doesn't take into account dolphin diving knobheads.

Fun fact: Bunnyhopping like a nutter a la CS (strafe jumping) will make most SVD aimbotters fail to kill or even hit you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlspence
                          Interpolation is the determination of a point/state between two known points/states based on measurable data such as time and speed. Extrapolation is the prediction of a future point/state based on current position and historical data. Interpolation should be accurate assuming no lost data and proper update rates. Extrapolation won't be as accurate unless players are moving at a constant rate and linearly. The variables in play for BF2 are what is fuzzy and really we need a person familiar with the game coding to know for sure.

I've fiddled with these tweaks and have never noticed any consistent improvement in hit detection.
                          Yeah thats a good formal description. Some write you need a decent rig and connection and I think I do but also didnt notice a differance. Hit registration is weird tho. Personally I have the best registration at powerfull servers.

Comment

ok guys, after some googling I came up how to set this up, at least 1 way of doing it.

Please note I have no idea whether it will work on low/mid end system. This is for high end system with HIGHEST settings and fps > 100.

I use these settings now and my average ping is 40-45. I swear never before I hit so much playing infantry, I was like WTF

GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.040000

Replace 40 with your typical ping

Leave at 1

SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 600

= GSInterpolationTime * 12 or so (try multiply by 12.3 too)

SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 50

Ping + 10-20

64 player server, reduce if you play on 32 or 16 player servers

Rest is defaults

As I said there might be other ways to set this up but these settings work very well for me, certainly better than default values

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                              ok guys, after some googling I came up how to set this up, at least 1 way of doing it.

Please note I have no idea whether it will work on low/mid end system. This is for high end system with HIGHEST settings and fps > 100.

I use these settings now and my average ping is 40-45. I swear never before I hit so much playing infantry, I was like WTF

GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.040000

Replace 40 with your typical ping

Leave at 1

SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 600

= GSInterpolationTime * 12 or so (try multiply by 12.3 too)

SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 50

Ping + 10-20

64 player server, reduce if you play on 32 or 16 player servers

Rest is defaults

As I said there might be other ways to set this up but these settings work very well for me, certainly better than default values
                              im gonna try that i have a high end system to.

Comment

Working...
                              X