No announcement yet.

How proactive should a commander be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How proactive should a commander be?

I guess I shouldn't have said never :P. Like if you're team and the enemy are all at some faraway flag than sure why not try to cap something, but you shouldn't be constantly fighting and dieing. The main thing here is the dieing not really the fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy
      I was wondering if you could share how proactive you are when playing commander.
      Well I guess that would depend on how bumpy that persons face actually is. I mean like Sean "p.diddy" Combs says..."it preserves ones sexiness"...........:hmm:........oooh, you're talking about the other "proactive". Oops! Nevermind!

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe0171 View Post
        i dont know if its lagg or what, but did u know when your commanding & you hit scan you see lotsa fuzzy red dots, you see one buy itself & say to yourself "theres somebody sniping i will spot him out" and u rightclick & hit spot, if that dot stays fuzzy,then they dont see it on their mapp, it has to show up solid on your command screen.
        so sometimes you have to hit spot 3 or 4 times just to get it to show up, drives somebody up wall but i only spot vital needs, cause about anyboyd can guess ther's 40 guys at there last flag.

but some peep drive you freakin nuts wiht that. one reason i hate uav
        It is not lag...it's a "feature" of BF2. The fuzzy red dots on the Scan CANNOT be spotted successfully until after they've faded away...that's why it takes you 3 or 4 times. The proper way to use the Scan is activate it after it's charged. Note as the Scan completes the location of all enemy troops on the map (fuzzy red dots). Decide from this snapshot, combined with the location of your troops, what the enemy force is doing and what you want to do about it. Place your UAV over the main strategic battle area (Note it is almost guaranteed that this ISN'T over the Hotel Flag on Karkand). Then, after the fuzzy red dots fade away, spot enemy NOT under the radius of the UAV that are in proximity to your troops and/or in key areas (moving to back flags, attacking commander assets, etc.).

Originally posted by LightBred View Post
        Once I get my hands on a functioning squad I can never get them to split so I have two squads and most times they end up doing their own thing til whenever..
        They don't have to split...in fact, they can accomplish the same thing by having several break off for a different objective. The only difference is they maintain contact with the SL versus the commander.

Comment

Originally posted by jlspence View Post
          It is not lag...it's a "feature" of BF2. The fuzzy red dots on the Scan CANNOT be spotted successfully until after they've faded away...that's why it takes you 3 or 4 times. The proper way to use the Scan is activate it after it's charged. Note as the Scan completes the location of all enemy troops on the map (fuzzy red dots). Decide from this snapshot, combined with the location of your troops, what the enemy force is doing and what you want to do about it. Place your UAV over the main strategic battle area (Note it is almost guaranteed that this ISN'T over the Hotel Flag on Karkand). Then, after the fuzzy red dots fade away, spot enemy NOT under the radius of the UAV that are in proximity to your troops and/or in key areas (moving to back flags, attacking commander assets, etc.)..
          ^^^thanks, good info & advice:salute:

Comment

Fcuk the commander and other friendlies, I`m a one-man-army and I say what goes mofo.

Comment

Ahhh, thanks for the claification on when a ticket is actually counted as lost.

Comment

As long as the commander is spotting enemies, doing regular UAVs and scans, and keeping the team informed on where the enemy is, then I don't care what he does. Using special squad commands is pretty much worthless. The best you can hope for is you can get the attention of a squad and have them actually go to the location you want. I don't care if a commander is using armor or whatever, as long as they're stopping the enemy from spreading and we're winning. But most commanders suck and don't UAV or worse, don't spot enemies so guys sneak around and take bases and you're left wondering wtf the commander is doing. And I hate commanders that don't listen to squad requests. I played a game today where us USMC took over the MEC base on Karkand, and I kept asking for a UAV there, and the commander kept denying and UAVing the hotel, which is probably the most worthless flag on the whole map.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor127 View Post
                  I played a game today where us USMC took over the MEC base on Karkand, and I kept asking for a UAV there, and the commander kept denying and UAVing the hotel, which is probably the most worthless flag on the whole map.
                  I would guess your commander was at the Hotel flag...

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor127 View Post
                    As long as the commander is spotting enemies, doing regular UAVs and scans, and keeping the team informed on where the enemy is, then I don't care what he does. Using special squad commands is pretty much worthless. The best you can hope for is you can get the attention of a squad and have them actually go to the location you want. I don't care if a commander is using armor or whatever, as long as they're stopping the enemy from spreading and we're winning. But most commanders suck and don't UAV or worse, don't spot enemies so guys sneak around and take bases and you're left wondering wtf the commander is doing. And I hate commanders that don't listen to squad requests. I played a game today where us USMC took over the MEC base on Karkand, and I kept asking for a UAV there, and the commander kept denying and UAVing the hotel, which is probably the most worthless flag on the whole map.
                    its frustrating getting a commander like that, i bet he was camped in his honey hole and usuing the uav to get his kills. they usually dont care about winning, all about them. but on other hand maybe a noob & just thought that was best way to do ,put uav over most red. i mean who dont know there will be enemy there? there allways is.
                    it happens

Comment

Originally posted by Rifocs442 View Post
                      After an SL realizes he's getting favored treatment, his tendancy to follow my orders goes up significantly.

After each scan, I'll typically alert all SL's which CP's are open (unguarded) and/or where the majority of the enemy is. Always try to use manual spot to keep the outlying enemy spotted. If I spot the enemy commander (white dot manual spot), I'll alert the nearest SL so he can get the knife kill.

I use phases like (Kark) "The island is clear" "Enemy attacking ____ in large numbers" "Enemy restricted to (area)" "Enemy approaching ____ from the West" etc. I'll try to spread the squads out (especially on Kark) in order to either hold the line (defending) or find a hole (attacking).

That's excactly the way I play as commander and I think it's the best way to do.
                      I usually sit in the base and command, but there are times (mostly IO karkand) where I just can't sit there and see my non-listening squads fighting the useless hotel battle while the rest of the map is clear of enemies. That's when I get on my feet and run for flags.
                      I also try to stay in the middle of the map as a sniper on a protected roof and try to defend flags or at least be in short distance to them. Normally I just get about 5-10 kills while commanding but that doesn't count. what counts is that they couldn't get the flag.
                      On IO maps you have more time left for "fighting", if you can do both well then do it. On vehicle maps it is not possible to be a good commander AND fight.

All I need as a commander is ONE squad that plays smart and knows what I mean with my orders.
                      Just yesterday, I had just ONE squadmember who was going for all these little flankers going for faraway flags. He took care of them all and without him we would have lost the game. Well, he needed me to spot the enemy, so without US we would have lost. And his squad was listening to orders and playing very good. The other 3 squads were not listening at all and just running to the most battled flag.

It's the combination of commander and squad, their communication and understanding of the situation that makes you win the game. No matter how good you command, if nobody listens you will loose.
                      But 1-2 good squads can win the game without having a commander at all. :salute:

FipZ

Comment

Originally posted by GrössKopf
                        "You are the WORST squad I've ever set eyes on!"

I use that one a lot.
                        I never have, but im sure as hell gonna start!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy42000 View Post
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by GrössKopf
                          "You are the WORST squad I've ever set eyes on!"

I use that one a lot.

I never have, but im sure as hell gonna start!
                          I used it once and they started a kick vote against me shortly after it.
                          I just ignore bad squads, they are not worth looking at.
                          They get what they deserve when I don't put UAV over them but on the good squad.

Comment

I don't play commander often as I'm just no good at it, but last night I had a crack and the thing I find most frustrating is when people are taking flags and the enemy are advancing, I spot them up and people just seem to ignore it!

Comment

Elfipzo -
                              10-4, "You Got it". :salute:
                              Rifocs

Comment

i am mostly an info giving commander. that is what I think his job is. Give UAV's to the most crucial base or a choke point, give supplies and scans. Sometimes on Kark I'll stay at the square with c4 or clays to defend that base.

Comment

Working...
                                X