No announcement yet.

How proactive should a commander be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How proactive should a commander be?

Well, communication between commander and the squad leaders is one thing... Being a commander in BF2 is way too easy...

Comment

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy
      I was wondering if you could share how proactive you are when playing commander. I noticed a lot of games are lost because of a lack of coordination. For instance, squads do not stick together but members are scattered all over the map, squads do not team up to cap a flag, members walk into the same trap over and over again. Do you guys use advanced commands, such as divide squad and so forth? With a little bit of organization, it would be much easier to win. Sometimes, Battlefield 2 seems like Lemmings 3D lol
      When your the commander PLZ, dont spot ppl all the time. Sure it helps sometimes but some ppl actually like to hear the game itself. Also theres no need to spot ppl who are under the UAV, and its enough to spot a tank/soldier once. You dont have to spot the same guy 10 times. Also for the love of god! Dont spot enemys when theres absolutely no friendlies around. I've seem commanders spot ppl on the factory flag on Karkand 30 sec after the beginning of the round. And when you give orders to squads plz use common sence. Dont ask a squad that it currently as Suburb to go and defend Cement Fartory. That just wont happend.

Comment

Originally posted by waaah_wah View Post
        When your the commander PLZ, dont spot ppl all the time. Sure it helps sometimes but some ppl actually like to hear the game itself. Also theres no need to spot ppl who are under the UAV, and its enough to spot a tank/soldier once. You dont have to spot the same guy 10 times. Also for the love of god! Dont spot enemys when theres absolutely no friendlies around. I've seem commanders spot ppl on the factory flag on Karkand 30 sec after the beginning of the round. And when you give orders to squads plz use common sence. Dont ask a squad that it currently as Suburb to go and defend Cement Fartory. That just wont happend.
        i dont know if its lagg or what, but did u know when your commanding & you hit scan you see lotsa fuzzy red dots, you see one buy itself & say to yourself "theres somebody sniping i will spot him out" and u rightclick & hit spot, if that dot stays fuzzy,then they dont see it on their mapp, it has to show up solid on your command screen.
        so sometimes you have to hit spot 3 or 4 times just to get it to show up, drives somebody up wall but i only spot vital needs, cause about anyboyd can guess ther's 40 guys at there last flag.

but some peep drive you freakin nuts wiht that. one reason i hate uav

Comment

Or you'll spot so that someone actually listens and takes care of it. The squad flanking to your main, etc...

I hate active commanders. When I command I'll stay at our main and protect it, with mines or C4, and I'll sit somewhere and help the team win. Use VoIP, etc..... I do spot, but not excessively.

Comment

Originally posted by wtrtwnguy View Post
            Actually, I think they are underrated. it is hard to win if all players run aimlessly over the map. I have played a few games where the commander made a big difference. Also, a few times, I joined a game where there was no commander, with the odds being about 70vs220 against us, applied to be the commander and managed to turn it around thanks to some great players who actually appreciated what I was doing. That was fun. But does not happen very often.
            i agree they CAN be useful, but my point is this:

90+% of the time, nobody listens to commanders, assuming that the commander even does anything. the PLAYERS make the commander good. you can be the best commander in the world and have a team that does nothing and you lose, yet you can be the worst commander, but if the squads are working together, you will win.

i could start about the idiots who spam "ENEMY AIRCRAFT SPOTTED" on karkand, but i've done that enough.

Comment

I pretty much play Vanilla (some SF), and then mostly city maps. I apply to command whenever the map rotation brings up a map that has a lot of air/ armor, my usual squadmates have taken the night off, the prior commander was poor, or no one else is commanding.

Especially on Kark and similar, NOT having a commander greatly reduces the team's chances of winning.

I'm a pretty vocal commander, at the start of the round, I'll hit "K" and tell eveyone to either squad up or become a SL so they can hear me. I don't fight 95% of the time; fighting usually to defend command assets. I will put clays or mines near the UAV or the arty and post myself within grenade range to defend those assets. On occasion, I may use a captured vehicle's MG to guard same.

I find that even on public servers, more than half the time, SL's do generally attempt to follow orders. I quickly find SL's that follow most of my orders and then reinforce their behavior by giving them priority on the UAV, supply drops, vehicle drops, and manual spotting. After an SL realizes he's getting favored treatment, his tendancy to follow my orders goes up significantly.

After each scan, I'll typically alert all SL's which CP's are open (unguarded) and/or where the majority of the enemy is. Always try to use manual spot to keep the outlying enemy spotted. If I spot the enemy commander (white dot manual spot), I'll alert the nearest SL so he can get the knife kill.

I use phases like (Kark) "The island is clear" "Enemy attacking ____ in large numbers" "Enemy restricted to (area)" "Enemy approaching ____ from the West" etc. I'll try to spread the squads out (especially on Kark) in order to either hold the line (defending) or find a hole (attacking).

Near the very end of the game, if it's close, I'll also remind everyone NOT to spawn. I like to think that I am pro-active and that I do make a difference when I'm commanding. :salute:

Comment

Once I get my hands on a functioning squad I can never get them to split so I have two squads and most times they end up doing their own thing til whenever..

What amazes me is the people you send orders to, lay out the UAV for them and everything and they choose to run away from it and cap some flag with 90000 enemies they know they'll never make it to for the 60th time.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBred View Post
                  Once I get my hands on a functioning squad I can never get them to split so I have two squads and most times they end up doing their own thing til whenever..

What amazes me is the people you send orders to, lay out the UAV for them and everything and they choose to run away from it and cap some flag with 90000 enemies they know they'll never make it to for the 60th time.
                  ^^^ i think alot of peep do this for K/D ratios , not really sure if its for stats or just for thrill of killin more peep. i mean 90000enemies you probably throw a nade in there & get alot of kills.
                  i play to win, i like to cap easy flags, put some defences there & go on to next.

Comment

I think a commander should use everything they've got as in UAV, Scan, Supplies, Arty, etc. but never engage in actual combat. They should also spot flags once in a while, but not spam random spots all over the place. IMO commanders who spam random spots are worse than not having a commander at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe0171 View Post
                      ^^^ i think alot of peep do this for K/D ratios , not really sure if its for stats or just for thrill of killin more peep. i mean 90000enemies you probably throw a nade in there & get alot of kills.
                      i play to win, i like to cap easy flags, put some defences there & go on to next.
                      Yea but after getting totally slaughtered time after time, it does look like they'd figure out thats not improving k/d.

Originally posted by [p^]Killundo View Post
                      but never engage in actual combat.
                      does killing spec ops in the base qualify as "combat"?

Comment

Nah, that's good commanding, combat is like running into the Hotel flag at the beginning of Karkand while applying for commander.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifocs442 View Post
                          Near the very end of the game, if it's close, I'll also remind everyone NOT to spawn.
                          You do realize that your team loose a ticket when one of your teammates dies and does not get revived? When you spawn, that ticket is already gone so it doesnt make any difference if you spawn or not.

Comment

Yeah Rifo, once that timer hits 0 the ticket's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by [p^]Killundo View Post
                              I think a commander should use everything they've got as in UAV, Scan, Supplies, Arty, etc. but never engage in actual combat.
                              In general case the players are ignoring the comander's orders. That being said, I'm sorry but I'm not gonna watch my flags being taken without me doing anything about it, nor I will let undefended or lightly defended enemy flag stay in the their possession for too long. Once again, the number of flags that you have are the main key to your victory (or defeat). I fight and I will alway fight. Many times the fact that I've started fighting has changed the course of the round in my favor. Only slow people that can't multitask can think that commanding and fighting don't go together. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that nobody can.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen.Vlade
                                In general case the players are ignoring the comander's orders. That being said, I'm sorry but I'm not gonna watch my flags being taken without me doing anything about it, nor I will let undefended or lightly defended enemy flag stay in the their possession for too long. Once again, the number of flags that you have are the main key to your victory (or defeat). I fight and I will alway fight. Many times the fact that I've started fighting has changed the course of the round in my favor. Only slow people that can't multitask can think that commanding and fighting don't go together. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that nobody can.
                                100% agree

Comment

Working...
                                X