Air Defense Underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Defense Underrated?

It is no secret that choppers dominate some maps. I was just wondering why no one really uses the anti air IGLA stations? I found them to be extremely effective at stopping almost all aircraft. On Dragon Valley, if one player occupied each of the IGLA's on the little hill next to the temple, nothing that flies would come past that position. I somehow think the developers meant for those stations to be used more heavily, as it can really turn the tide in a game.

Re: Air Defense Underrated?

the AA stations are pretty nice. they usually hit 60% of the things it locks onto, but its weak. it takes more that 2 hits to take down a jet and in the time that it takes to reload an AA station, the jet can be way out of range. and no one likes them that much either becuz being in it makes u appear as a big green square on the jet's hud..aka..most decent jet pilots can take u out in a few seconds

Comment

They suck if only manned by one person. Really easy to see where the missile is coming from and its stationary so it doesnt go anywhere when the pilot comes back for it. But if you have 2-3 ppl manning static AA sites on a map it will get nasty

Comment

The fact is. They're death traps.

The only time they've proven their worth is if you're playing against a poor Jet, or Attack Helicopter pilot who is pre-occupied.

Every other time, they're a bullseye with you as the target. The splash damage from the jet and helicopter guns literally reflects off of those horrible little bunkers around you making it a thousand times easier for you to die, even if they don't hit anywhere near you.

Sitting in one of those things while going up against a jet or helicopter looking for targets, makes you a bullseye.

Comment

That's what I meant. Alone you can't do that much, but with another buddy, they are lethal. Even alone, once you get the feel, they are pretty good. Two shots can be fired while you are still out of the choppers range, then before it gets too close, the third and (if needed) fourth one is ready. Jets are different, but since their bombs are predictable and inaccurate, you can usually run away and then give the jet a nice shot from down below. Of course, you do not sit in the weapon, but stand next to it, to avoid warning the ennemy. Also, hopefully, there will be some of your aircraft around, to finish the enemy off. Plus, a lot of pilots can't handle multiple targets and just get totally confused

I just wish more people would use those. There is no other ground weapon that can seriously threaten aircraft. Mobile AA is too clumsy, slow & too big of a target.

Comment

they are underrated, unless you're up against a chopper that is a *******, you're going to get a kill, but if the pilot is skilled and has a half-*** decent gunner, you're nothing but a sitting duck as a chopper has a gunner with a chaingun that has the best splash damage, missiles and a tv missile, if the AA/Igla stations did a little bit more damage, then im sure they would be occupied on most maps, i sometimes mount in them on wake if the airfield has been taken by the USMC, and i shoot at the enemy and pray i hit ^_^

Comment

one of the biggest issues is that you're an active target in the hud of jets. if that was removed at least you'd have a chance.

Comment

You're insulting Mobile AA, but praising stationary AA?

You must be kidding.

Comment

15 minute STA-er going against 1500 hour pilot. Experience wins. Truth is, STA has a very good rate of hitting, all you need is create the situation where you have a lock on the target. It takes literally- playing experience to use every STA in the game using its own positioning advantages and disadvantages. You CAN play so that you will never get killed in an STA. People do that. But with teamwork, you can effectively either shut the skies down or hinder a pilots perfomance, pissing him off is good, especially if he starts typing up ****. Then again, people would rather cap some asses and throw medpacks and increase their score than sit in a boring nest.

Comment

Alone or not, they're crap. It takes a 1-3 round burst from beyond view distance to get killed in the IGLA with any jet cannon, and you can't lock on unless the jet is within 300m. Why does this thread keep appearing anyway?

Comment

Standing next to them does no good against good pilots. They routinely fire on empty sites knowing there's a good chance to get a kill. Not to mention good chopper gunners will TV a site on ingress.

All of that said if you were so inclined and your squad manned every static site on, say, Dragon Valley, you could effectively shut down enemy air support.

I have a big problem with AA in this game - it's so rigged in the pilot's favor, it's not even funny. Everything else aside, just the locations alone are rediculous. Even though you're more exposed, I do much better in sites that are wide open b/c you don't have to try and fire through trees, rocks, buildings, etc.

Mobile AA, however, is awesome. Yes, you're a big target, but if you're good at shooting and scooting and positioning yourself where pilots least suspect you, you can do quite well - especially against choppers. I particularly enjoy setting up on commonly used egress sites and can frequently engage damaged aircraft heading back to repair.

Comment

I will have to try mobile AA more. It just seemed to me like you are nothing but a big joke sitting in one of those. Doesn't seem to bother most pilots the least. Somehow I am having more luck with stationary AA, though maybe I just caught a bunch of bad pilots (although their stats seemed high). I usually hide in some shrub nearby, and when the chopper is facing the opposite direction, hop in them, and before they turn around they are gone. I do wish though that the IGLA would kill with 2 instead of 3 hits. No more chopper wh0r1ing then

Comment

The AA stationary guns in BF2 are garbage. BF2 should have at least had handheld AA weapons... Thank goodness for mods that have them at least.

Comment

The AA is actually really good. i've thrown off the timing or killed many jet whores trying to rape the chinese airfield to restore chinese air supremacy, see exhibit A:

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka
                              The splash damage from the jet and helicopter guns literally reflects off of those horrible little bunkers around you making it a thousand times easier for you to die, even if they don't hit anywhere near you.

I don't understand why an anti-air position would have sandbags like that. I mean, it's anti-AIR

Comment

Working...
                              X