Helo pilots are NOT the most under appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helo pilots are NOT the most under appreciated

Saying a Helo pilot is under appreciated by gamers playing BF2 is a false statement. There is no better feeling than owning an entire round with a great pilot. Even Jet whores don't get that feeling as there is no camaraderie involved.

The fact is GOOD Gunners, know to thank a GREAT pilot. If not they're just playing for medals and points.

The most under appreciated role in the game, without a doubt is the Squad Leader(SL). The Squad Leader to be truly effective must communicate with his team for the direction of the squad and overall effectiveness.

The Squad Leader can not, I repeat can not whore a J-10, or pilot an Attack Helo, or whore out a tank and be an effective squad leader, unless that vehicle is part of his tactic - Flying the jet over the Airfield, bailing and having the squad spawn on his location .

He must be in a vehicle that is for the sole purpose of transporting his squad around. That leaves the buggy for a quick retreat to defend a point, or a surprise attack on an unguarded Capture point(CP). The APC for moving the squad under protection of infantry fire, or the transport Helo for quick assaults on the enemies key CP; Wake Islands Airfield is a valid example.

The Squad Leader must also stay out of harm way, for if he is to be pinned down and killed. the squad will not be able to maintain an effective presence at the CP. Therefor they tend to stay back and offer support by way of 'Q spotting', requesting of assets from the Commander, and general leadership for the entire Squad via VOIP.

This role results in scoring many less points than the average grunt soldier, and far less than any Armor, Jet or even a Helicopter pilot receiving driver assists. Many a time an SL will sit out of range of a CP for the squads sake - If the SL is too close to the flag then he will be quickly spotted and taken down, or artillery fire will be rained forth from the opposing team's Commander - as well as being out of range or sight of any thick firefight.

I am not saying an SL should not, or does not engage the enemy, far from it. Many a time he will be engaged in CQC with more than his share of attackers; I am saying that he must think for the greater good of the squad(All 6 men included in the squad) and not solely himself and his points at the end.

The only recognition a SL will get is at the end of the round on the "Best Squad section". This however confers no point or medals and thus no rewards apart from the enjoyable time spent being a SL of a truly effective Squad.

:salute:

Re: Helo pilots are NOT the most under appreciated

sorry just read first few lines

Comment

squad leaders are like mini commanders lol, thats what i gathered anyway

but you do have some interesting points there =]

specially this bit:

"I am not saying an SL should not, or does not engage the enemy, far from it. Many a time he will be engaged in CQC with more than his share of attackers; I am saying that he must think for the greater good of the squad(All 6 men included in the squad) and not solely himself and his points at the end. "

:nod:

Comment

i have to agree with the op on this...

i spend most my time as squad ,leader.

me and my scope scanning,killing.

i never just click at the enemy flag and make the squad attack that flag.

i try and place them in 2's around the flag location,spam uav to commander and then when i feel the time is right then attack the flag.

followed by me giving cover fire,or just hitting the enemy so my squady's can get a faster kill.

unappreciated maybe,as there is no reward.

but i find the role of squad leader to be fun.

i always sit back from the action,or take the long route around to a flag,then sit and wait for my squad to regroup and off we go again

Comment

Are you kidding? SL is like the kill taker of the whole group! Sit back with your L85 and peck those nubs off there spawn point while they focus on your team capping teh flag instead...

Comment

Originally posted by System View Post
            Are you kidding? SL is like the kill taker of the whole group! Sit back with your L85 and peck those nubs off there spawn point while they focus on your team capping teh flag instead...
            lol a good squad leader would go in and help out her team, well thats what i think anyway =P

Comment

Why did you not carry on the post under this setcion

Comment

Originally posted by simon1973 View Post
                Why did you not carry on the post under this setcion

http://bf2.totalgamingnetwork.com/fo...d.php?t=122362
                i cant say obviously as im not him but i *think* its because he didnt want people to dismiss it/skip reading it - as some people may do, i personally read every post.

but for me it think it should be under where you suggested

Comment

SQLs arent the most underappreciated people. Whenever I find myself in a squad with a GOOD SQL, VOIP kicks in and fun begins, and commander recognizes the effort and spams "Youre the finest squad Ive ever seen" stuff.

Ive had people literally thank me... 5 times during 2 years?

Comment

Yeah. I love having the best squad with my gunner... or just soloing. That's funny sh*t: commander telling me where to go and destroy stuff. Encouragements galore.

Comment

Originally posted by System View Post

haha its true. i was SL and i was on the hotel in gulf of oman and we had lost all of our points. and in order to not get risked getting killed, i jst told my team to go attack without me and i kept on picking off guys that were attacking them. of course then the enemy helicopter got to me later

Comment

I'm the SL you find at the factory on karkand pushing guys off the roof to get the flag.

Comment

Working...
                        X