Asus P5N-E Sli LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
    2gigs Crucial Ballistic DDR2 800
    BFG 7950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
    Below is what is already in the PC
    1x Sata WD Caviar 160gig 1x Samsung 120gig
    SB Audigy 2

I have updated to the latest video drivers 162.18 forceware and am in the process of updating the nforce drivers for the motherboard to 8.43_nforce_650i_winxp32_english.exe

I set my graphics ingame to the highest settings and the game runs great, no stutter at all. After about 20 or so minutes of playing it always crashes to desktop though. Same thing happens when playing CSS as well.

I haven't tried rolling back video drivers because I am a bit confused about which ones to get over at nvidia's site. I have always been use to ATI cards and drivers.

Re: CTD (new system)

Its just battlefield, it has as much to do with your system as making marijuana illegal.

Comment

your power supply has only 19amp rails... your running a video card that needs 22amps on a single rail.

+3.3@30A,+5V@55A,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19,A-12V@1A,+5V SB@2.5A
      you do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by sava700 View Post
        your power supply has only 19amp rails... your running a video card that needs 22amps on a single rail.

you do the math.
        wtf....8800GTS doesn't need 22 amps on rail, there few , VERY FEW! PSu that can manage that much, i doubt he needs that much.

Even 1200 Watt PSU don't have 22 amps on single rail...his PSU is fine.

Comment

Are yuou using vista

Comment

The PSU is fine, it ended up being sound driver issue.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexIsUber View Post
              wtf....8800GTS doesn't need 22 amps on rail, there few , VERY FEW! PSu that can manage that much, i doubt he needs that much.

Even 1200 Watt PSU don't have 22 amps on single rail...his PSU is fine.
              NO, he isn't using a 8800GTS he's using a BFG 7950.. I just posted the output from the Powersupply.. here is what THAT card needs...

350W PCI Express-compliant system power supply (with a combined 12V current rating of 22A or more)
              and again the output from his PSU...

+3.3@30A,+5V@55A,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19,A-12V@1A,+5V SB@2.5A
              he's got a output of 19amps and the card needs 22amps or more.. again DO THE MATH!! I've been building comps for the last 13years plus a electrical degree here that says I'm right and I've seen it first hand.

He says his problem was audio but what you have is a system that is underpowered and will only get worse as you go along. The PSU is the "Heart" of the system as is your bodies heart that supplies life blood to you it supplies life blood "clean power" to the systems components.

I would get rid of that PSU and get a better one that will maintain not only the card but everything else. Its got no PFC and its Hold up time is only 16ms min...the only thing good about it is the pretty blue lights.

Ohh and for the record a 8800GTS needs this:

425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more*
              This is the direct posting for every 8800GTS from every builder..they just don't put that up cause it looks good.

Comment

"COMBINED"

I called EVGA when I was unsure of whether my 550w PSU could handle an 8800GTS. My PSU has 19 amps on 2 12v rails. That's 38 amps combined on the 12v rails.
                I tried, and there is NO PSU that has 28A on a single rail.
                He's got 38A on 12v rails.
                And I've been building comps since 1992 back when I had a PCI HDD and 5 1/4" floppies.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtool655321 View Post
                  "COMBINED"

I called EVGA when I was unsure of whether my 550w PSU could handle an 8800GTS. My PSU has 19 amps on 2 12v rails. That's 38 amps combined on the 12v rails.
                  I tried, and there is NO PSU that has 28A on a single rail.
                  He's got 38A on 12v rails.
                  And I've been building comps since 1992 back when I had a PCI HDD and 5 1/4" floppies.
                  thats not correct... doesn't matter who you call..put a meter on it.

and since you think you know so much about "NO PSU" that has 28A on a single rail... I'll go the best you can get for a quick example...

+5V @ 30A, +12V @ 72A (80A Peak, Huge Single Rail), -12V @ 0.8A, +3.3V @ 24A, +5VSB @ 3.5A VSB@3.5A
                  so match these stats up with his PSU:

+3.3@30A,+5V@55,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19,A-12V@1A,+5V SB@2.5A
                  and you will see how they are measured the same... regardless of V1 and V2 he needs a single rail since its a single hookup to that card.

Comment

That PSU didn't even exist when I got my 8800GTS. The highest wattage I saw on newegg at that time was 750w and it only had 25A on one of its rails. And how many 8800 users have $500 PSUs? Most people have < $150 PSUs.
                    The amperage listed as a requirement is to make sure that the whole system has enough power. It isn't that a card needs that much power on a single rail, or that the card itself needs 425w. It's that they figure a system with one of those cards might need that much power total.

Comment

Eh, bf engines n patches with any system don't mix. (not being a pessimistic here, but kinda true).

Just for the record, everytime I go to the tech system, I get more and more jealous of ur system guys...

Comment

That PSU didn't even exist when I got my 8800GTS. The highest wattage I saw on newegg at that time was 750w and it only had 25A on one of its rails. And how many 8800 users have $500 PSUs? Most people have < $150 PSUs.
                        The amperage listed as a requirement is to make sure that the whole system has enough power. It isn't that a card needs that much power on a single rail, or that the card itself needs 425w. It's that they figure a system with one of those cards might need that much power total.
                        You don't look hard enough then.... that 1K psu from pcpower and cooling has been out since December of last year.

and its not my fault about how many 8800 users have 500$ PSU's...its up to the buyer to be smart and get the best "heart blood" giving component for their other hardware. If you don't you pay the price in the long run by not supplying clean power to the other components. The quotes I'm giving you from the CARD itself is exactly that from the builders sites and sellers sites... I'm not quoting whole system requirements
                        The card lists needing 22amps then it NEEDs 22amps!!!

Kinda like purchasing a car that requires you to run 93octane in it to get max performance... but you instead run 87 and you start to get into problems with performance and abnormal wear and tear on the engine. Run what the parts say to run..plain and simple.

Comment

You're not even being reasonable at all. Your own quote says, "350W PCI Express-compliant system power supply (with a combined 12V current rating of 22A or more)." The way you're saying it, almost everyone would need separate PSUs for each card in SLI and another one for the rest of the system.

That doesn't mean amperage on one rail, that means total 12V amperage for the PSU, regardless of the number of rails. Again, it does not need 22A all to itself on one rail.
                          I'm pretty sure my 550W Antec PSU is giving clean power to my system. The problem I called tech support about was an incompatibility with my Samsung 20.1" monitor. I can't use DVI with an 8800 series card with it.

Comment

blah blah blah

His PSU is still under powering his system...the only thing nice about it is the pretty blue lights. I wouldn't trust it so why should he.

Comment

Working...
                            X