No announcement yet.

Why is Engineer class so under-valued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Engineer class so under-valued?

I mean it in essence is the one who maintains the vehicles and Commander Assets, and the only one who can remove AT mines, or claymores, yet they recieve hardly any points in comparison with say Support or Medic class.

I came across this thought, if you're a support class and someone shoots a magazine, and reloads, then walks over your ammo bag, you know have one team point, same for Medic if they are wounded. Yet fix a tank and you receive one point. I have fixed Arty before and not received a point before, and no supply crate or other engineer was fixing it.

Engineers also receive no points for ACTUALLY removing the threats like claymores and AT mines, thus they sit around the whole map until someone walks/drives by it.

It's no wonder with team points being so hard to come by for an engineer - yet maintaining and clearing threats - that no one really play it, unless they wish to repair their own vehicle.

Re: Why is Engineer class so under-valued?

I always thought i could be an engineer pro, ive tried numerous times but its pure luck whether or not an enemy happens to drive over your mine. Its unpopular becuase it doesnt get points, just like you said.

Its not easy, but ive seen engis on kark get 40+ kills and less than 5 deaths IAR.

The only good use of engi is the m11-97 on city maps .

Comment

Yeah, I think the community gave up this argument a year ago, prior to 1.4. I don't recall if there were ever any promises made/broken, but everyone has definately had issues with how points are awarded to Engineers. The only why they ever tried to help out the engineer class was lower the badge requirements...but that is a lame way of helping. If you fix a piece of arty, you need to toss a grenade at it before completely repairing it, else you will not get the point...now how lame is that?! But you had b!tches spamming ammo and med packs and die because they don't have their f*cking gun out (costing the team a ticket, and possibly a flag), and those jack*sses still rape points!

Comment

personally if im having a good day,i go 30= kills on karkand with the shotty easily.

Comment

I'm not debating getting kills with the shotgun, the Engi is my most played class, and I love the shotgun for PLA/UMSC.

Comment

hahah, yeah, you want to get into a class that does not get points!? Talk about AT...those boys get ripped off, they don't even get kill assists!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketChild View Post
              hahah, yeah, you want to get into a class that does not get points!? Talk about AT...those boys get ripped off, they don't even get kill assists!
              eh not to bad on karkand if you nail the support whores when they go prone

Comment

I enjoy playing with engi. Been playing alot of it as of late actually.

Comment

Originally posted by stephensolfo View Post
                  eh not to bad on karkand if you nail the support whores when they go prone
                  Well, you would know more about n00bing it up as AT on Karkand then I would. I rarely play AT, and they seem to get the shaft as far as points/kills compared to other kits. I mean, assault (which is my primary kit) gets a hell of a lot of points just because of kill points. AT...they don't have any team points coming in besides flag caps/defends and assists. And even assists are hard to get when two AT guys are shooting at one tank.

Comment

yes i do know about noobing it up on karkand but i cant play vanilla anymore,not with sf coming any day now.

Comment

AT Mines suck, and repairing is easily replaced by supply boxes.

The DAO is also a better shotgun.

Comment

The engy repair rate is fine, it's the repair point rate that blows. The repair point rate needs to be about 2.25 X faster. Removing mines and claymores should be 1 point per 5 cleared, even then it's dangerous business because they're usually at a choke point.

AT is similar, the damage is ok, if it was greater then nobody would drive armour, so there would be no point in being AT. Again it's the point rate that blows. Hitting anything with 2 AT rockets should guarantee at least an assist when that target dies. Trouble is it's possible to spend 5 rockets across 3 AT players, and only one of them gets 2 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
                          I always thought i could be an engineer pro, ive tried numerous times but its pure luck whether or not an enemy happens to drive over your mine. Its unpopular becuase it doesnt get points, just like you said.

Its not easy, but ive seen engis on kark get 40+ kills and less than 5 deaths IAR.

The only good use of engi is the m11-97 on city maps .

When Kark, Sharqi, Jalalabad, mashtur city I always play as Engi in tank. 40+ kills with a K/D ratio at least 5-6:1 is very often. And <5 deaths is common if your team has a good commander that drops you supplies or another teammate in APC playing as Engi so that you repair each other

Comment

Actually, I find Engineer to be one of the best classes.

Best in armor due to the ability to repair (duh) not only yourself but fellow armor whores. AT mines, if placed well, can get you some decent kills and make the enemy think twice about crossing a certain area again. Best places are not only heavy traffic zones, but bridges/roads along the battle flanks, because you know a jeep trying to run around capping flags isn't looking for mines there. This often results in creating a sort of "funnel" effect to the enemy attack, allowing you and your team to concentrate more firepower on a certain area.

Then you have the infantry weapons.
                            1. USMC shotgun (need I say more?)
                            2. Jackhammer, not too bad
                            3. MP7- Pure Pwnage! Great for close and even mid-range combat.
                            4. MEC Auto Shotgun - Nice for CqC.

True that a supply crate can fix a commanders asset easier than an eng., but an Eng. and go around and fix multipule assets much faster. (since we know that Spec Ops don't just blow your UAV trailer)

My only complaint. That repair pts should take a 1/2 repair cycle or be worth 2 pts.

I agree that AT are the most undervalued, all that hard work taking out vehicles to get a messily Kill Assist.

Comment

I agree, engi is very underrated. I didn't play it much until I decided to get all of my Expert badges over the past few weeks. Now I find myself going engi a lot more often and have really begun to enjoy the kit.

Personally, I find that very few guys pay attention to AT mines and it's easy to get kills with them. I also get a lot of satisfaction about locking down a flag or choke point and seeing the armor whores just sitting there scratching their asses wondering what to do - great targets when my air support sweeps in.

And once you get the hang of the shotty, you're pretty deadly in CQBs. Plus, guys think they can own you and run in spraying bullets everywhere - BAM - they're down with one shot.

I also agree that the repair points suck. After getting expert first aid and resupply, I was starting to get pissed knowing that I hardly had to do anything to get them vs what I had to do for expert repair. Fortunately, I found myself on a Warlord server with an enemy spec ops that was intent on destroying the SAS assets.

Comment

Working...
                              X