best thing to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best thing to buy

I know I have a slow DSL connection, but I can't do anything about that. What I'm asking is, will another gig of RAM improve performance at all inspite of the bad pings and the poor video card?

Comment

If you want the cheapest bargain-basement gpu that's DECENT for playing bf2 on mediumish (max view, max geometries), then you can't beat a 6600gt for $20 after rebate:

Note: in the past, tiger has been known to a be a dog on some rebates, so you've got to do everything exactly as specified, make copies of EVERYTHING (and then threaten to call your AG and file a fraud complaint, the BBB, and sue in small claims court in your jurisdiction if they don't follow through).

It will play most older games on a mix of mostly medium (some high) depending on your res, and might get you into the mostly medium (some lows) with current games in the pipeline, depending on the res.

More memory will smooth things out somewhat in game, and let you do things in the background more readily, like run ventrilo, teamspeak, etc. It will reduce your loading times somewhat, but it will have very little impact on your frame rate/eyecandy. Having said that, you need at least a gigabyte of ram to run BF2 well, in my experience.

get yourself up to a gigabyte of memory, grab the cheap gpu i linked to or (if you've got some cash in the sofa) you'd probably enjoy the game a lot better with something like:

but it's three times the price, after rebates.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the card I have is better than the first one you mentioned, and I already have 1 gig of RAM.

Comment

It will improve your loading time, but for performance it really depends on your video card... If your video card is whats holding you back and lagging the game, then no you wont see much better with an extra gig.
          Whats ur card?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob848
            I'm pretty sure the card I have is better than the first one you mentioned, and I already have 1 gig of RAM.
            yes, indeedy.

the subject of this thread, however, was someone with a 512mb RAM and an x200.

Comment

Whats ur card?
              ATI Radeon x600 256mb Hypermemory

Comment

is a full system upgrade expensive (besides ghaphics card and RAM) man there is so much stuff to get just to play a game y cant there just b one componet to a computer that makes everything go. (isnt that what internet should do >_> lol) so aside from that, ghaphics card or RAM if ghaphics card which one to get *not to expensive now* =)

Edit: i dont really need EXTREME visual affects ( all high), what i really need is smoother game play *less lag*, but not playing on low quality with 800 by 600 pixels at 60 GHz with 50% view would be nice =3

Comment

Originally posted by linkfreak View Post
                  ...so aside from that, ghaphics card or RAM if ghaphics card which one to get *not to expensive now* =)

Edit: i dont really need EXTREME visual affects ( all high), what i really need is smoother game play *less lag*, but not playing on low quality with 800 by 600 pixels at 60 GHz with 50% view would be nice =3
                  See my post above, #17 for a gpu that will play at least 1024x768 with no lag and medium eyecandy. It's freakin $20 after $40 rebate, so after you get your $40 back, go buy another stick of ram.

Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X