No announcement yet.

BF2, Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM CTD....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BF2, Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM CTD....

Originally posted by Kentai17 View Post
    ive had problems with punkbuster on 2142, try updating it on their website
    Tried that and that didn't work either. Anyway, here's a thread at the UK EA forums and I'm having this exact problem. Of course I've tried the fix and while it works for BF2142, it doesn't for BF2. http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Here's an article at Anandtech that talks of this very same issue!!! Looks like Vista is to blame or rather trying to run 32-bit programs under 64-bit OS's. http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034

Comment

Gents, this is also a problem with games like Test Drive Unlimited.

4gb ram crashes the app. I pull out 1 stick, and the game runs likes a dream with 3gb. (I thought the problem was supposed to exist with anything above 2gb - pls try this with bf2 if you get a chance!)

I'm also have the 4 gig bug in bf2 even with the 1.41 patch . :shakehead:

I also have an analog AND usb headset and NEITHER of them register any input using voicesetup.exe. In fact the exe crashes, so any help on that would be great as well. (Yes, the recording device is set correctly and I can record voice into wave editor etc)

Comment

Hmmm, I'll try that....mind you I certainly want keep it that way, just for testing purposes. I don't think it will work with 3GB of RAM because on my mobo, in order to get it to see 4GB of RAM or more, I have to enable the Memory Remap feature. If I don't, it only sees 3GB and BF2 wouldn't work with 3GB, at least the 3GB Vista saw. I still had 4GB of course. It's possible it might work with 3.

Something else that might work and that's manually setting your page file to the highest available setting. I've read from a couple people that while it still crashes, it only does so randomly. I could live with that! Again, though, it was odd that BF2 would tell me that my BF2.exe is modded and to change it back. I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but I'm not absolutely sure. I checked through Explorer Suite and it wasn't modded. I wonder if it was something else. I swear, if you even think about a mod that will fix this issue, BF2 reads your mind and then decides you're modding it, even if your not.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that BF2 won't be getting anymore patches. I hope that's not true. Aside from the problems that need to be fixed, the game is horribly unbalanced with the vehicles having far too much power. Yeah, it's realistic, but much of the time, too much realism is a bit much for a game.

As far as your sound goes, you might take a look at the BF2 FAQ at EA's site. I believe it talks about some mic issues like you have.

Comment

Vista 64 here with 4gb of ram and like many of you BF2 does the exact same thing. I can play a round fine no problems, but as soon as it loads a map I get the CTD and memory dll error thing. I've tried the fix and while it does work, I do get kicked from servers and I also get a BSOD from time to time. My Dad's system is almost the same as mine, yet he has only 2gb and it plays fine. I'm still looking for a fix myself I hope someone finds a solution soon :-)

Comment

The best you can do is wait for the next patch. There are startup options to limit the amount of RAM Vista can see, but I don't think you want to do that. Basically, you could do BCDEDIT such that one menu entry is for BF2 and one is for RAM intensive tasks.

Shame, because I'm upgrading to 4GB some time soon.

Comment

I just tried my rig with only 2 gb and bf2 played fine :-) So its certainly a ram issue. I guess BF2 doesn't like more than 2 gb in your system. The only thing is with only 2 gb BF2 will stutter quite a bit for about the first 5 minutes of gameplay which sucks. I can use Xp with 4 gb and play BF2 fine no problems. Granted Xp only sees 3.25 gb of my 4 gb but it still plays fine. I wouldn't hold my breathe on a new patch from EA to fix this problem either. I'm sure patch 1.41 will probably be the last patch from them. Maybe microsoft will come up with something...

Comment

Forget my previous post :-( I played again last night using my dad's computer and it ctd with the memory error even with 2gb :-( But their is hope :-)

Comment

Working...
                X