BF2, Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM CTD....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2, Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM CTD....

I've got a problem....BF2 CTD very often with 4GB of RAM and I'm running Vista x64. I run a mod that allows it to support more than 2GB of RAM but then I always get kicked when the server loads a new map. It says I have a MOD5 mismatch tool with BF2.exe. So, the question is, how do I play BF2 without removing 2GB of RAM.

Here's the weird part. I'm also playing BF2142 and I'm also using the same mod "Explorer Suite" and it runs fine and I never get kicked. If I didn't mod the BF2142.exe file, it too would CTD, in fact it did before I did this. Does anyone have any good suggestions besides removing 2GB of RAM or installing XP?

Thanks!

Re: BF2, Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM CTD....

if your running x64 you shouldn't need to mod anything. x64 supports 4 gig of ram.
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

True, but BF2 doesn't. The problem isn't Vista, but BF2. It really ticks me off because like I said before, BF2142 works fine with that mod. What I think they realized was that by the time 2142 came out, more and more people are using more and more memory, so they allowed an exception to let people mod their exe files in 2142 and not see it as a hack. In BF2 though, that's not the case.

What's so annoying about this is, is that EA could easily fix this with a patch. It takes less than a minute to mod the exe so that the program can accept larger than 2GB addresses. I don't know why they just don't do this with a patch. Either fix it (which would be the best idea, or allow people to mod it so that they can get it work.

Comment

oh I see what your saying. isnt that normal for programs to be capped at 2gig? I didnt know there was patches for that. the last time I checked bf2 only took up 1.3gig while running on my computer. ?!?
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I'm not saying it actually takes up more than 2GB of RAM, I'm saying it doesn't know what to do with all the extra RAM. It's kind of like some games have a hard time with multi-core CPU's. Rainbow Six Vegas had a little hard time because it was designed to run on a single core CPU and to get it to run you initially had to open up Task Manager and set the Affinity to CPU 0 or CPU1....didn't matter, just so long as you set it to run on one core. Well they finally patched it fixed it. It doesn't run on multiple cores now, it just doesn't crash when it detects multi-cores.

That's the same thing that is going on here....when it sees more than 2GB of RAM, it gets confused and just crashes to the desktop. Now, I've read that some people can run it just fine with over 2GB of RAM, but not all. The same thing happened with Rainbow Six Vegas and the multi-core thing. I didn't have a problem running it, but many others did. Anyway I REALLY want to find a fix that will allow me to play without having to constantly restart the game. The fact that it works fine with BF2142 and doesn't with BF2 shows me that they've most likely done something to support that sort of mod for 2142, but what I don't get is why don't they fix that in BF2. It's a VERY easy fix. At the very least, don't kick people for using that mod...it's not a hack and I'm sure they know that.

I know they don't officially support Vista x64, or Vista x32 for that matter, but come on...it's so simple to fix.....I don't get why they won't fix it? Here's the program that I use to allow BF2 to use more than 2GB of RAM. It's called Explorer Suite and it's a coding tool. I'm no programmer, but it's very easy to do. http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

Comment

I didn't even know it was possible to cap a program off from ram? Thats such a load of crap! I play starcraft with 4gb of ram and that is a 90's era game. Don't tell me that because you have 4gb of ram you can't play bf2.

I played bf2 with 3gb of ram and right now I have 4 with only 2.8 currently accounted for by windows. Yes, BF2 will utilize max 2 gb of ram but having more will not hurt the ability to game.

It must be something else.

Ps. Apparently someone who had 8gb ram was playing BF2. If that isn't over kill I don't know what is..

Comment

Originally posted by System View Post
              I didn't even know it was possible to cap a program off from ram? Thats such a load of crap! I play starcraft with 4gb of ram and that is a 90's era game. Don't tell me that because you have 4gb of ram you can't play bf2.

I played bf2 with 3gb of ram and right now I have 4 with only 2.8 currently accounted for by windows. Yes, BF2 will utilize max 2 gb of ram but having more will not hurt the ability to game.

It must be something else.

Ps. Apparently someone who had 8gb ram was playing BF2. If that isn't over kill I don't know what is..
              That's exactly what I'm telling you. If I just try to play BF2 without using the large memory address mod, it just crashes to the desktop. The same thing happens to BF2142 if I don't use Explorer Suite to mod it. The difference is, I don't have any problems with BF2142....what's more is that I'm also using a NoDVDcrack with 2142 and I've got no problems. BF2 seems very touchy. Here's the program that I'm using....

I know there's some people using 4GB of RAM or more with no problems and before I formatted Vista x64, I was playing BF2 with no problems.....well at least the few games that I've played and I don't recall having any problems. I have however played hours and hours using that large address mod and the NoDVDCrack and not had problem one with BF2142! I don't know what's so different about BF2 though!

I finally got a memory error message. It almost never comes up. It says:
              BF2 Memory Error
              memory.dll: all allock attempts failed for size 2767114

Of course, this is without using Explorer Suite to mod the BF2.exe file to support more than 2GB of RAM. Like I said before, when I do use it, I always get kicked from BF2 servers saying I have a MD5 mismatch tool for BF2.exe. God forbid I actually take matters into my own hands to make the game work.....ohhhh nooooooo. If BF2142 works with that mod, BF2 should work also.

Here's a pic of the error:

I'm sure my memory is fine too BTW, I've tested it MemTest86 along with Vista's memory tester, but the real test is the ONLY games this happens to is BF2 and BF2142 and that only happens if I don't use the Explorer Suite memory mod.

Comment

I use Vista 64, and have over 4 gigs of RAM ...who's that regular on these forums that has 8 gigs? Anyways, saying BF2 limits ram is ..what??, where the heck you hear that? Dump the mod and play the game straight-up.

Comment

I have seen so many people talk about it in these forums that they run BF2 with 4gb ram. i dont know what are you talking about.

Comment

Why don't you just to the large memory address fix and be done with it. It works, and you don't need to mod anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BPCrusher01 View Post
                      Why don't you just to the large memory address fix and be done with it. It works, and you don't need to mod anything.
                      Pretty much everyone is missing the point. The large memory address fix IS the mod. When you check the box to support that, that is modding it. It's stupid that BF2 or rather PB thinks it's a real mod, but it's not in terms of a cheating mod.

Originally posted by (TM)KillJoy View Post
                      I use Vista 64, and have over 4 gigs of RAM ...who's that regular on these forums that has 8 gigs? Anyways, saying BF2 limits ram is ..what??, where the heck you hear that? Dump the mod and play the game straight-up.
                      If I run BF2 'straight up' then it crashes to the desktop. Here's exactly what I'm talking about guys: I just found this link last night and as you can see a few other people have this problem too. I haven't responded to this thread yet. http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...6716de1ca8ff53

If you read far enough, you'll see they have a fix too and I already know about it. It does the same thing Explorer Suite does except you have to do it through a command line interface. I've tried that as well and the end result is the same. i get kicked by PB because I have a modified BF2.exe file....sigh.

Comment

This is what i did being running it for three months with no problems i have never looked back no more dll issues

Memory dll error issues
                        Vista 64 crashing under many many games , bf2, bf2142 FIXED
                        do this at your own risk: Vista 64 and 2 with vista 32 from 2gb to 4gb system memory
                        and it rocks, no more crashing, no more low performance. NO MORE MEMORY.DLL ISSUES
                        FOR THOSE WITH 2GB MEMORY DO THIS FIRST
                        click on start, then right click in computer, select properties, once the window is open click on advenced system settings, system properties is now open, click on the advance tab, under performance click on settings, then in visual effects press adjust for best performance, press apply,u should see a big change in your UI now, before closing tht we are going to set some visual effects that does not use many memory and make more comfortable the use of windows, in the boxes select this visual effects only
                        show thumbails instead of icons
                        show translucent selection rectangle
                        smooth edges of screen fonts
                        use dropshadows for icon labels on the desktop
                        use visual style on windows and buttons
                        hit apply.
                        then go to advanced in tht same window, and you are going to change ur pagefile from system managed to custom set initial value to 3500, max size 3500
                        WITH 4GB GO STRAIGHT HERE
                        OK NOW THE FIX, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!!
                        (You'll need to be an Administrator)
                        First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft.
                        It's free so don't worry.
                        Gain technical skills through documentation and training, earn certifications and connect with the community

Once installed, you'll need to update it. also the game make sure u have lastest
                        patch installed
                        Backup the bf2.exe file. Just in case.
                        Start ->Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition ->Visual Studio Tools ->Visual Studio
                        2005 Command Prompt
                        Navigate to your battlefield 2 directory.
                        If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
                        "cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER ***cd c:\Program Files (x86)\ ENTER in vista 64***
                        then usually it's "cd EA GAMES" ENTER
                        "cd Battlefield 2" ENTER
                        NOW WRITE THIS
                        editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE BF2.exe hit ENTER. Should come up with a
                        Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success.
                        write exit and hit ENTER
                        RDY TO ROCK!!

Comment

Thanks samarlian, but Explorer Suite does the same thing and in fact I have and tried Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I found that fix off the Planet Battlefield forums. It works for BF2142 because it doesn't have a MD5 mismatch tool on 2142, but BF2, or actually I should say BF2142's PB doesn't check that, but BF2's PB client does.

I'll try the page file tweak though.

Thanks. I just know to get this to work is an easy fix, I just don't know what it is. If it wasn't for PB's stupid MD5 tool, both Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and Explorer Suite would work fine.

Comment

I have not had any problems with punkbuster and i have played fine for months i only play BF2

Comment

ive had problems with punkbuster on 2142, try updating it on their website

Comment

Working...
                              X