Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Get Repeat Business As Sl?

Hi all,

Just wondering how many people here have led so well that they usually have the same people joining their squad round after round. Personally, it happens to me allot and it's nice to know that my style of leading is appreciated and helpful. What is my style you ask? I usually try to command clearly and don't sound wishy washy, I always tell my squad mates to get on comms if they have it and I try to explain the reason for my orders. I've found that once my squad knows why I've given out the order, they will follow it to the end. Something else I do is give my squad a choice. I don't always have the answers so when I'm a bit confused I invite my squad to call in suggestions, then we all agree and I give out the command reminding them to accept it so they get points for it. Lastly I'll CLEARLY say what kits the squad needs for the task at hand. I find this really helps.

By the same token, I have verbally given $**** to squad members who do not follow orders. I've often said "Guys SPAWN IN ON ME OR LEAVE THE SQUAD!!! WE WORK TOGETHER OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!" And if this doesen't hit home, I kick them from the squad and invite different people. Yeah I'll admit it's blunt but I've found it VERY effective. My team usually wins, there is WAYYY more teamwork in the squad and I find we have way more fun. I'd say my style of leading it blunt, to the point but very fair. I usually like to drive the APC but I'll always let someone else drive it if they can do the job just as well or better. I know this is all coming across as arrogant but I'm really having allot of success with this style of leading and I'm wondering what other styles are out there and how much success Squad leaders have had with it.

Getting the flame suit ready now.

Cheers

Re: Do You Get Repeat Business As Sl?

Usally it does not matter who the squad leader is he is just a mobile spawn point. Its when you have a squad full of people who communicate that they rejoin and often with a diffrent Sl. SL does not take alot of skill just some knowledge of how the squad concept works in game.

Comment

I disagree, being an effective SL takes allot of skill. You have to know what to say and when to say it. What to do and when. I myself find it really hard to be SL without comms and realize that when I'm just a mobile spawn point, my squad only spawns in on me when it's convenient for them as individuals and not when it's convenient for the squad or better yet, the team. If you think you're just a mobile spawn point then that's all you'll ever be as SL.

Comment

Ive been a squad leader alot of times if you want an effective communicating squad on a Pub you have to find people that have Comms so you can communicate once you do that by inviting people untill you get about 3 people with comms then you will become really effective.

Leading a squad is easy you just have to have the respect of your members. What ends up happening to me most of the time is we dont really have a squad leader we all make suggestions on how to do what we are doing and then just do what most people think we should do or keep doing what we were doing. I just jumped right into a Squad Leaders position once and same for commander. WIth squad leaders its not a matter of how skilled a SL you are its the skill of people in your squad working as a team.

You need coms to be an effective SL you can not work as a squad without comms as good as a squad with comms.

Comment

I'm sure what you say and being kicked from your squad lets them know how serious you are!

Comment

Comms doesn't make all that much difference pubbing if you have a squad full of skilled players. Everyone knows what to do and don't need to be fed on what class you need etc. And yes being a good SL does take common sense and skill.

Not so much for vehicles but having one of the better members be SL in inf only can mean the difference of winning or losing. If the rest of your squad is killed, it makes sense to have the hardest to kill last, bar lucky nades =p

Comment

Originally posted by Ins View Post
              Comms doesn't make all that much difference pubbing if you have a squad full of skilled players.
              Comms makes a huge difference. Sure, if you have a squad of skilled players not using comms, they will usually beat a bunch of nOObs using it. But go against an equally skilled squad using comms, you will lose more times than not.

I am a skilled player, but knowing where the enemy is and such makes a difference. If I am a medic and die, you tell me a tank is coming in, I will chose the right kit, but not having that info will make the difference.

Comment

I agree.... also, there are allot of people who have comms but don't use them till their squad leader actually calls in. If you never call in you'll never be able to use it effectively AND this places you at a significant disadvantage when up against a squad that is communicating not onlly through the commo rose but also through VOIP. A Squad Leader is NOT just another spawn point!!!!!!

Comment

Agreed, there's lot more to being a great squad leader than being a mobile spawn point. There's so many important skills like thinking fast on your feet, correct target (flag) selection, keeping the squad working together, keeping an eye on the entire map so you know exactly whats going on and can change strategy in a moment. These are the things that can change the course of a round.

I go SL pretty much exclusively these days as i got sick of losing rounds when on the noob/unstacked side, becase there was no effectively working squads. The only way to get wins in those circumstances is to recruit a squad and lead well. I get lots of repeat business, and not just from friends and clan mates, but from people i just met that day who like my style.

Comment

Personally, when I'm in a squad, it really doesn't matter if we can communicate via team speak (I can't use it anyways, don't have a usable microphone and people talking usually distract me in a game).

For me, a good squad just has to know the basics. Attack and defend a base when needed, and heal, revive and resupply your teammates when they need it. Most of the good squads I've been in can do just that, and I find myself wanting to hang out with the squad more in the next game, because I'm sure I'll have fun playing with them more.

No need for teamspeak in a squad as long it's a squad that knows how to play the game. :yay:

Comment

yeah i get that sometimes,

Comment

80% of the time yes, when i go into a server i check for any good teamworking squads, if there are none or they are full i always create my own squad, call it "teamwork", invite a few peeps to get the numbers up and go from there. i try and be active as a SL and give helpful advice and do things that are possible and i use VOIP lots too which i think helps.

Comment

When I'm a squad leader I make sure to try to keep the group togther and attacking/defending the same flag. When attacking a flag I will hang back and sit on one of the spawn points until the flag is white then move in. I get some easy kills and incase of a lucky nade the squad has a spawn close to the flag. I also look to see what kits people have in the squad and ask people to bring Heavy/medic if we have to much of the same thing. I also tend to kick snipers out. I have nothing against the kit or people that use it, I would just rather have another medic/heavy/assult in the squad. I also stay in contact with the commander to see where they need us to spawn.

Comment

Originally posted by JackG2 View Post
                            Personally, when I'm in a squad, it really doesn't matter if we can communicate via team speak (I can't use it anyways, don't have a usable microphone and people talking usually distract me in a game).

For me, a good squad just has to know the basics. Attack and defend a base when needed, and heal, revive and resupply your teammates when they need it. Most of the good squads I've been in can do just that, and I find myself wanting to hang out with the squad more in the next game, because I'm sure I'll have fun playing with them more.

No need for teamspeak in a squad as long it's a squad that knows how to play the game. :yay:

I take it, you don't have as much experience playing B2 as say, a lieutenant would. With that said I felt the same way when I first started playing. I was always either lone wolf or playing in a squad because I was invited and felt flattered. However, I rarely followed orders or stuck with my squad if they sucked.

You mentioned that you don't have a mic. I've had that issue with squadmates before and since I DO have a mic I use it to help them out. I'll say "gimme a pageup or pagedown if you understand" and I tell them to communicate with me that way. If I know a specific person doesen't have comms then I'll ask him yes or no questions so they can use their keyboard. This keeps the lines of communication open and helps us all.

I also noticed that you keep mentioning how well you play when you're in a GOOD squad, well you hit the nail on the head there. A good squad will always do what you mentioned above but for me though, I find that a GOOD squad is hard to find these days.

Yes there's allot more to being a good squad leader and for those of you that think it's just another spawn point, try managing your own squad and REALLY give it a go. Talk to your squad mates and keep your men informed. They will really appreciate it and the ones who find it uselsss chatter will simply leave and THIS is exactly what you want. Let them leave and invite other people till you have a solid squad that you can use (and who will look for you as SL) round after round.

I myself manage a team at work so I'm used to making decisions and delegating.... I'm beginning to think that many of you who say that you do well as a squad leader have the same real life experience.

Originally posted by SpartanODST
                            When I'm a squad leader I make sure to try to keep the group togther and attacking/defending the same flag. When attacking a flag I will hang back and sit on one of the spawn points until the flag is white then move in. I get some easy kills and incase of a lucky nade the squad has a spawn close to the flag. I also look to see what kits people have in the squad and ask people to bring Heavy/medic if we have to much of the same thing. I also tend to kick snipers out. I have nothing against the kit or people that use it, I would just rather have another medic/heavy/assult in the squad. I also stay in contact with the commander to see where they need us to spawn.
                            LOL I do the same.. I have no need for snipers if we're taking flags and personally I don't want to be one man short just because an UBER sniper decides we wants to camp out. i usually tell them that we don't need a sniper and to come back as something else or leave the squad.

Comment

A good squad is hard to find these days, but basicly just sound like your balls are dragging on your carpet, pretend that IRL you're a mean *** MOFO who's done all this **** before IRL aswell, and you're guaranteed success.

Funnily enough, I find random pubbers to be far better squadmates than most clanners, for reasons I've yet to discern. Maybe they don't take themselves so seriously and don't believe (yet) that they're rambo and possess enough skill to kill the entire enemy team while rolling a doobie and drinking a cody's at the same time as they're chatting up one of their many girlfriends on the phone?

I dunno.

Being a good squad leader just seems to revolve around you sounding like you know what you're doing more than the squad members, I guess. No options, no compromises.. it doesn't earn you many friends, but leadership and friendship are detrimental to each other anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X