No announcement yet.

Is a super computer needed to run BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a super computer needed to run BF2?

Hi All,
    After playing BF2 for a few weeks, I encounter lags and had to tune down my video settings to medium or low.
    This leads me to wonder...
    Do I really need to buy a super computer but then tune down the video settings due to limitation of the internet bandwidth?
    I am getting fps of 100/10 to 80/8.
    I am on 10Mps.
    I have no problem playing in Single player mode.

Re: Is a super computer needed to run BF2?

80 fps is not lag. 20 fps is lag

Comment

um yeah 80 FPS is fine lol, do you mean internet lag or something??

Comment

if u got no problem in single player and u get 80fps then itll be ping lag - even with a fast connection you can still get lag
        are u on wireless
        how for are you from the exchange

Comment

Could be the old page file coming into effect as mutliplayer works the computer harder. How much RAM do you have? And also, make sure your hard disk is defragged.

But, the most likely effect is wireless lag. Try and get a wired connection if possible, and if not i have heard that turning the router down from "Wireless G" to "Wireless B" can help. Dunno why though.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
            Could be the old page file coming into effect as mutliplayer works the computer harder. How much RAM do you have? And also, make sure your hard disk is defragged.

But, the most likely effect is wireless lag. Try and get a wired connection if possible, and if not i have heard that turning the router down from "Wireless G" to "Wireless B" can help. Dunno why though.
            I agree, it would probably either be a fragmented hard drive, wireless connection, or not enough or just plain slow memory(like mine DDR 333Mhz FTW!!). Also, what type of lag are you getting, like the screen says connection problems, or the game just has jumpy spots, or does it just freeze for a couple seconds?

Comment

If you get a supercomputer you might be able to run on all medium in multiplayer :wall:

Comment

Hi All,
                thanks for all the replies.
                I am referring to jerkiness.
                sometimes...before i goto prone...the enemy already proned and shooting and I am dead.
                May I know which number should I look at? for eg :100/10...
                I am from Singapore and I logon to an Australian server to play.
                I guess we are not as lucky as USA where you have so many servers within the USA.
                The speedtest results below is actually within my country. so it doesn't really show the speed to other countries.

Below is my PC specs
                Mobo: Asus P5B-E-Plus +
                CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
                Harddisk: Seagate SATA II 500GB 7200.10 16MB ST3500630AS
                Graphics: Asus EN8800GTS 640MB
                2GB DDR2 -533
                Windows Vista
                22" Samsung LCD 226BW
                Logitech G15 Keyboard
                Silverstone Power Supply SST-ST75ZF
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro
                I am connected directly by wire to the Linksys Wireless N router.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
                  If you get a supercomputer you might be able to run on all medium in multiplayer :wall:
                  :laugh:

Originally posted by jack9999 View Post
                  Hi All,
                  After playing BF2 for a few weeks, I encounter lags and had to tune down my video settings to medium or low.
                  This leads me to wonder...
                  Do I really need to buy a super computer but then tune down the video settings due to limitation of the internet bandwidth?
                  I am getting fps of 100/10 to 80/8.
                  I am on 10Mps.
                  I have no problem playing in Single player mode.
                  If you have no problem running it in single player and you are getting 100/80 fps, then it is not lag, lag is a term used to describe internet issues. Make sure you are playing on a server close to your location, not on the otherside of the world.

Originally posted by Vet. Makka99 View Post
                  80 fps is not lag. 20 fps is lag
                  No 20fps = crappy GFX card, again, not lag...

Originally posted by jack9999 View Post
                  Hi All,
                  thanks for all the replies.
                  I am referring to jerkiness.
                  sometimes...before i goto prone...the enemy already proned and shooting and I am dead.
                  May I know which number should I look at? for eg :100/10...
                  I am from Singapore and I logon to an Australian server to play.
                  I guess we are not as lucky as USA where you have so many servers within the USA.
                  The speedtest results below is actually within my country. so it doesn't really show the speed to other countries.

Below is my PC specs
                  Mobo: Asus P5B-E-Plus +
                  CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
                  Harddisk: Seagate SATA II 500GB 7200.10 16MB ST3500630AS
                  Graphics: Asus EN8800GTS 640MB
                  2GB DDR266 or 333(I forgot)
                  Windows Vista
                  22" Samsung LCD 226BW
                  Logitech G15 Keyboard
                  Silverstone Power Supply SST-ST75ZF
                  Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro
                  I am connected directly by wire to the Linksys Wireless N router.

With a setup like that you CAN play all HIGH with 4xAA and 16xAF EASILY and should still be getting very nice frame rates even at high resolutions.

Wait... DDR 226??? as in 226Mhz?? Jesus!!! No wonder you are having problems, if you jump in a car and just drives really fast across the map, do you get any frame rate drops, and slight pauses? if so, then its your RAM thats the problem, that RAM must be what, 5 years old? They are now putting out DDR3 1600!!

One last thing, what ping do you have when you play? (hold down tab and look at the far most right number, less than 40 is great, less than 100 is playable, just, and anything over that means you need to find a closer server.

Comment

I noticed the RAM too!
                    Also Windows Vista recommended spec is 2Gb or RAM which you state you have.
                    You are going to need atleast 4Gb of RAM for Vista and to play games!

Comment

Originally posted by maforduk
                      You are going to need atleast 4Gb of RAM for Vista and to play games!
                      I don't think you could be more wrong. 2gb is fine, and most copies of Vista don't even recognize over 3gbs.

Comment

That's not what I have been hearing from other forum posts from various websites but I have no difinitive answers!

Comment

Well, trust me. I'm right.

Comment

Hey how do you check the FPS?

Comment

I am on wireless and i get no lag at all when playing games online, it depends how much coverage you have and what obstacles are in the same room as the wireless router/modem.

ie a microwave can interfere with the signals and cause you to get lag spikes.

I suggest you post back and tell us what coverage you have got and also what wireless router/modem have you got?

PS have you scanned you system for viruses, malware, adware?

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
                              I don't think you could be more wrong. 2gb is fine, and most copies of Vista don't even recognize over 3gbs.
                              64Bit Vista can see up to 128GB ram at present, i have a mate who has 4GB and Vista 64Bit can see it perfect, maybe your source is using Vista 32Bit?

Originally posted by reynolddog View Post
                              Hey how do you check the FPS?
                              once in game goto the console, press the button under the esc key `

then type renderer.drawfps 1 and then to disable it change the 1 to a 0

Comment

Working...
                              X