Need some pointers post BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some pointers post BF2

Right guys this is not an anti BF2 post, what I'm after is some gaming advice. I have finally reached my milestone I set myself 17 months after I started playing the game properly. I am now a captain and wish to take some timeout from BF2 or at least stop playing 10+ hours a week.

Before playing BF2 I was mad on CoD uo and 1942 so my main genre of games I like is FPS. What I'm asking is can you guys recommend any good games that are out now or are coming out very soon. My wife has got me STALKER so I'll be installing that this afternoon. 2142 is out of the question as I have that and I ranked up 24 times in 5 weeks so that is getting boring now (not that it was much cop in the first place) I don't mind if its single player or multiplayer I'm just looking for a new challenge and as the demographic here is worldwide I'd like your opinions.

Here is a list of games I've heard about and was wondering whether to get

FEAR
    Halflife
    CSS
    ArmA

Or do I take the plunge and get a PS3?

Any input will be appreciated
    AckAck

Re: Need some pointers post BF2

If you like slow, realistic gaming, ArmA is a MUST.

It has flaws, but those can be overlooked when you're playing with a bunch of guys you know, all communicating properly on TS.

http://rggsquad.co.uk if you do decide to get ArmA and want to have a good group of guys to play with.

FEAR is a good game, although the environments can get a little repetitive, and the MP is pretty weak (MP can be downloaded for free). SP is where it shines - the AI is also pretty good.

Half-Life 2 is a must, not only for the awesome graphics, story, and physics, but also for the amazing mods being developed for it. Get it.

CSS is also good fun, although it isn't really my cup of tea.

That is one of the main reasons you should get Half-Life 2. It is a free, total conversion mod. It takes place in modern day Iraq (and Croatia in later releases) and features Marines facing off against Iraqi Insurgents.

Comment

Originally posted by AckAck View Post
      Here is a list of games I've heard about and was wondering whether to get

FEAR
      Halflife
      CSS
      ArmA
      Last I checked, FEAR multiplayer is free, check out www.joinfear.com - so you definetly should try it out, since it's free.

If you go half-life route for multiplayer, you probably want to get CS:S boxed set which gives you both CS and DoD:source + HL2 deathmatch. You can't play HL2 singleplayer with that though. Both source (and non-source - that is original HL engine) versions of CS and DoD are very good games - you may or may not like them due to personal preferences (they differ a lot in gameplay as well), but overall, they're quite polished, popular and work well.

Original HL (+ its mods) cost about 10-15 euros, CS:S boxed was 25 e last I checked, so they're very cost-effective.

ArmA, the whole realistic approach doesn't appeal to me, so I don't want to say anything about it, since I've never tried it. If you like your games very realistic as opposed to fluid actionpacked gameplay, you should check out Red Orchestra as well.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've just had a look on Amazon for Half-Life and Im faced with lots of variations. Here is a link for all Half-life PC games >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...&Go.y=14&Go=Go

I also see that CSS is in that list. Would you be so kind to tell me which I require and is it worth getting the Half life 1&2 deal for £40.

Comment

Originally posted by AckAck
          Thanks guys, I've just had a look on Amazon for Half-Life and Im faced with lots of variations. Here is a link for all Half-life PC games >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...&Go.y=14&Go=Go

I also see that CSS is in that list. Would you be so kind to tell me which I require and is it worth getting the Half life 1&2 deal for £40.
          Probably best to get a package off of Steam.

Steam manages and keeps all of your games up to date - No CD's required.

There's a number of packages which include HL2, plus a whole bunch of other games.

The Steam Spring Sale is on now — find great deals on thousands of games!

Comment

well crysis is coming out soon nd halo 2

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi View Post
              Probably best to get a package off of Steam.

Steam manages and keeps all of your games up to date - No CD's required.

There's a number of packages which include HL2, plus a whole bunch of other games.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index....ppId=220&cc=CA
              Is that like EA downloader then? The valve complete pack for $80 looks good. That includes all the single play and multiplay yeah?

Originally posted by Topgun View Post
              well crysis is coming out soon nd halo 2
              I thought Crysis was gonna be late this year and Halo2, I had that on the xbox, wasn't overly impressed. Thought the original was better. Is it gonna be a direct port or has it been tweaked for PC.

Comment

Is that like EA downloader then? The valve complete pack for $80 looks good. That includes all the single play and multiplay yeah?
                Sort of.

It is way more fast, secure, and easy though.

Just make sure never to give your account password to ANYBODY.

All of your games are tied to your account.

Is it gonna be a direct port or has it been tweaked for PC.
                It is a very poor port.

You need Vista to run it. It looks like crap, and you pay $60.00 for a 2 (?) year old game.

Comment

Garabaldi I thank you for your help and advice. I'm about to take the plunge and get the complete pack. Well I don't have Vista and don't intend to for a long while yet so thats Halo sorted out

Thanks AckAck

Comment

Games to look forward to this year:
                    Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
                    Unreal Tournament 3
                    Bioshock
                    HL2 Ep2;Portal;TeamFortress2

These are all supposed to be coming out this year.

HL2 is an excellent choice. Some good mods to check out:
                    Counter Strike: Source
                    Day of Defeat: Source
                    Dystopia
                    Eternal Silence
                    Hidden: Source
                    Pirates, Vikings and Knights II
                    Synergy (co-op)
                    Obsidian Conflict (co-op)
                    SourceForts
                    Garry's Mod

Most people either think Garry's Mod is a huge waste of time or they love it. It's mostly a sandbox construction mod but there are a few fighting game modes in it. If you're not sure about whether to buy GMod 10, check out GMod 9 which is free.

Comment

Add Black Mesa: Source to that list

Combining the technology of the Source engine with the awesome storyline of HL1...

Comment

Yeah that list definitely isn't exhaustive. I just looked for some of my favorites out of the ones I have installed.

Black Mesa: Source isn't out yet, and if you want to go with unreleased mods Insurgency (next month) is definitely one to look forward to.

Comment

I'm currently playing Rainbow Six: Vegas right now on Realistic mode and I gotta say its one hell of a game I absolutly love it. But if your looking to expand from FPS just a tad pick up C&C3 and give it a go. CS or HL2 are good fps'ers too

Comment

Jeez guys, your costing me a fortune, just spent $200-£100ish on some quality games and now I don't have time to play play them all. I gotta say that HL2 is blooming good. Thanks for the new list I'm gonna see whats what in a couple of weeks and get a couple more.

BTW that steam is excellent and bloody quick too, can't believe I've missed out for so long.

Comment

Working...
                            X