X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Challenge You!

to help me play bf2 again!
    heres the story;
    ive played bf2 for bout 6 months now but recently after bout 1minute to 1hour of play my monitor turns off and my pc beeps continuously, forcing me to reboot.
    i have reset the bios, and dont think its the cpu temp coz it happens even if the pc has just been turned on and is still quite cool. i dont think its my monitor either as it works fine the rest of the time.

any help would be awsome:yay:

Re: I Challenge You!

Find out the exact type of BIOS you have, and note the beeps (E.g. Long - short - long). These beeps indicate some kind of hardware error, and motherboard documentation usually explain what these beeps mean.

Comment

yea, well the beeps are fairly short, same length and continuous, that implies a memory problem i think, any ways to check apart from memtest, prime95 or the windows one? i cant get them 2 work lol.

Comment

If you answered my questions above, i might be able to help!

Comment

You can take out one stick and see if the other works fine, or (even better) you can borrow a known good 1gb stick and see if it crashes your pc.

...that is if you really know that your beeps indicate bad places to hide bits on your memory modules.

Could be something as simple as a loose fan wire, a loose pci or graphics care, etc. Could also be that your components are drawing too much power under load for your PSU to remain reliable (efficiency drops as temp increases).

No way to know what it is until you answer ^ poster's question.

Comment

I'm guessing its the Video Card

Comment

Originally posted by (TM)KillJoy View Post
              I'm guessing its the Video Card
              Why?

Comment

im not sure exactly what the bios is but i know its something like 2, would bios 2 be sensible on a dell?

Comment

Right, you have a Dell. On the back of your comp there are roughly 4 little lights. In most cases they are numbers with an LED behind them. You got them? They are the diagnosis lights.

When the computer is working fine, these lights should all be green, if there is something wrong, they will go orange. When your computer crashes, which ones go orange?

Comment

ok, i have the lights on the front and they turn on to show a problem (i have a dimension, the bios is A07 btw) when the pc starts up they show no problem but when the pc crashes numbers 3 and 4 light up.
                    thanks for your help by the way, much more helpful than mr varhad at dell

Comment

You still got the Dell handbook for your computer, cos inside that will be a few pages explaining what these codes mean. Have a looky now.

Comment

ok on dell support it remmomends "Reseat the memory and check the quad pack LED code"
                        although this is for when 3&4 show at startup, mine only show at crash.

Comment

Ok, take every stick out. Put one in and boot your computer and run memtest and maybe try BF2 (If you have enough memory), just check whether your computer crashes or not. If not, add a second chip and do the same. Repeat this until your computer crashes. At this point you will know it is the last chip that you put in that is causing probs. you may have to replace this memory chip.

Comment

by memory chip u mean a ram module right? i have 2 512s so bf2 should just about manage. btw which memtest do i download and how do i run it? thanks

Comment

Yea, i mean modules. Dload this: http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70...+-1.70.iso.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X