I Challenge You!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BPCrusher01
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    My old athlon XP kept cooking RAM modules because of a faulty power supply and the athlon's integrated memory controller. That's fixed now.

    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    lol thanks alex, sorry for the late responce, been on holidays. yea ill probably buy new memory from crucial.
    thanks for all your help.
    btw just out of interest anyone else had the same problem???

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    Originally posted by forkart
    Just burn memtest86 iso file to cd with magiciso.
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm
    :shakehead: I think we found that out...

    Leave a comment:


  • forkart
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    Originally posted by *TA* wsuyhuy
    when i open it using winrar it just has a readme and says this

    "There is no visible file here.
    Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD.
    Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch."

    call me a noob but what do i do?
    really appreciate your help btw.
    Just burn memtest86 iso file to cd with magiciso.

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    well... if you still have a warranty, ask for a replacement, but if not, your probably going to have to get some new memory.

    Go to a site like Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/) and download the Crucial System Scanner or run the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool. This will tell you what is compatible so you can buy new memory safe in the knoledge that it works. I advise downloading the system scanner since they then guarentee if the memory is not compatible, they will refund you.

    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    ok ran memtest with both sticks in and it just froze (twice) so thinking this was coz memtest was f ing up i downloaded microsofts memory checker. again i ran both sticks together and it froze so i took one out and tried again. the test ran 5 passes and then i stopped as i presumed it was repeating the tests (all passes) then i took that stick out and put the other in, the test ran for a bit then froze.
    so, i reakon i have got a bad stick however the test didnt conform it.
    what do you think the the next best option, is there a way of fixing the ram?
    i could also find out what it is testing when it freezes, will that help?

    again, thanks for all your help

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    Once it is burnt, boot your computer and go into the BIOS. Set the primary boot drive to your CD/DVD drive. When it says "Press any key to boot from CD", press the any key. It should run the program without booting Windows.

    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    i realise im being a noob but even when it burned it to disk using alcohol 120 it still just came up with the no file message?

    oh and other guy i have already download the latest bios but thanks:)

    Leave a comment:


  • opc_tim
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    I have a dell, & as far as the updated bios & making sure you have the right update, u can go to dell support & u have to make an account, but anyway log in , go to support, then driver's & uploads (icon is a disk) If this is your first time you will have to enter in your deminsion & the service key # (mine is on tag on side of my pewter), then after then know exactly which computer that you have by that # it willl give u a list of updates, look for bios.

    hope this is helpful. but from what i've read im guessing either a hot video card, oor a memory stick like the other's have allready said. but bios is very important as im sure you know.

    tim

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    hang on, ill download it myself and see.

    Extract "memtest86+-1.70.iso", and then burn it to a CD using something like Nero, Alcohol 120%, Power ISO. You cant just copy it onto the CD, it needs to be specially burnt, so there is usually an option which says "write image to CD" or something ike that.

    The screens below are examples of what you may well see:





    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    when i open it using winrar it just has a readme and says this

    "There is no visible file here.
    Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD.
    Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch."

    call me a noob but what do i do?
    really appreciate your help btw.

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    Yea, i mean modules. Dload this: http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70...+-1.70.iso.zip

    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    by memory chip u mean a ram module right? i have 2 512s so bf2 should just about manage. btw which memtest do i download and how do i run it? thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • =98=
    replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    Ok, take every stick out. Put one in and boot your computer and run memtest and maybe try BF2 (If you have enough memory), just check whether your computer crashes or not. If not, add a second chip and do the same. Repeat this until your computer crashes. At this point you will know it is the last chip that you put in that is causing probs. you may have to replace this memory chip.

    Leave a comment:


  • *TA* wsuyhuy
    Guest replied
    Re: I Challenge You!

    ok on dell support it remmomends "Reseat the memory and check the quad pack LED code"
    although this is for when 3&4 show at startup, mine only show at crash.

    Leave a comment:

Working...